Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I was sad to read the new Dakota was killed off. I think a Dakota with IFS and the cab room of the Gladiator would be awesome. I’d like to see it with the I6 turbo, standard safety, standard electronics packages, reg can, crew cab, 5’ and 6’ bed options. Would sell very well. I’d go for an off-road version, crew cab 6k’ bed packaged to compete with a Tacoma TRD. Can only dream
Sponsored

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
I had a 74 CJ5 with the 304 it was great, that said. I still have a 05 TJ with the 4.0 and I think its a better engine than the 3.6 in my Gladiator. I know its a older design butt it's much easer to work on. I would like a V8 but with all that's going on in Washington I thank I6s have a better shot at mass production and at a better price than a V8.
I'm daily driving an 05 LJ with a 4.0. While I like the engine, it would not keep up with the 3.6 that was in my 13 JKU, and I can't say it would have kept up with the Gladiators I test drove, even one with 35s and stock gears.

I would love to get a 5.7 or 6.4 V8 or the new I6 (even hybrid) instead of the 3.6. I've been holding off pulling the trigger waiting to see what is announced for 22.

Deleted member 30519

Even if they make one it would be way out of my price range. I went a tad over budget just getting my sport for a 35k sticker lol. The more I pay off my 2020 JT the more a 7k supercharger becomes reality.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I would love to get a 5.7 or 6.4 V8 or the new I6 (even hybrid) instead of the 3.6. I've been holding off pulling the trigger waiting to see what is announced for 22.
That would be an Awesome powerplant -

saltlife4shore

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Maybe they'll have to upgrade the steering components, and hopefully it won't wonder all around the road.

Sponsored

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
Yes, I would like a Hemi in the Gladiator. 5.7 or 6.4. Either one will work for me.
I had both a 5.7 and a 6.4 challenger the 6.4 challenger is night and day difference from the 5.7 but with you on the I’d take either one!
Going from the 6.4 to the 6 cylinder in the gladiator has been an adjustment! Lol if they don’t come out with a 392 gladiator in two years I will be buying the 392 Rubicon wrangler but with that said I love every minute I’m in my Mojave!

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
At least you have the Mojave which is geared for higher speeds. My manual Rubicon has a big gap between 3rd and 4th gear (to get 1,2,3 togher for trails) making going up the mountains worse than the Mojave!

Mighunter

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2018 JLU, 2016 JKU, 1984 CJ7, 1971 CJ5
Occupation
Attorney
Hey Jeep, please give us a 5.7 Hemi for a reasonable price like in the Ram, instead of just the apeshit but largely impractical for many of us 392. I promise you an option like that will sell like hot cakes. Much as I love my Mojave, I’ll trade it tomorrow for one PRECISELY like it with a 5.7.
No kidding? 80 g’s for a stock wrangler?

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Considering the 5.7 is a $3295 option in JGC L I’d say many JT owners would jump at the option over the absurd 392 starting price over the cost of a Rubicon (32k more)

Jeep Gladiator Jeep acknowledges big demand for 392 Gladiator V8 A5E94B81-4E95-4817-AA8E-D86D9ABAEE8A
This is exactly where the pricing should be. Even the 392 is a mass produced engine that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. And yet, the market is thirsty for it...

Sponsored

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Ascent, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Not sure we'll ever know the real reasons why Jeep resisted selling V8 Wranglers for so long. I think the V8 Dakota clearly demonstrated a mid-size truck or SUV with a V8 works well and sells well.
The reason they are selling it now is called the Ford Bronco. And if Ford ever gets around to offering the Ranger Raptor I’d bet good money the 392 would magically appear in the Gladiator.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
The reason they are selling it now is called the Ford Bronco. And if Ford ever gets around to offering the Ranger Raptor I’d bet good money the 392 would magically appear in the Gladiator.
I agree. But as others have said if they want to act like the 6.4 is something special and rare they just need to offer the darn ubiquitous 5.7 :) I know fleet fuel economy is a concern but darn it they offer the regular hemi in almost every other product…

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Whoa - I've been looking for news on this - thanks for posting! This is awesome! This is the power train I've been waiting for (since I'm skeptical that we will ever see a reasonable priced 5.7 Hemi Gladiator). Some folks might disagree, but if the Tornado makes its way into the Gladiator, I hope it is just a I-6 with no hybrid electric motor. I know this sounds grumpy and "get off my lawn", but I prefer an off-roader to be as simple as possible (recognizing that all new vehicles are super-complex, but there are levels to this).

Auto manufacturers are re-discovering the I-6 (and that's a good thing). BMW never dropped their I-6, but they have recently invested a lot in both their 3.0 gas and 3.0 diesel I-6 engines; both will be options on the brand new Ineos Grenadier (a modern take on the old Land Rover Defender). Among others, Mercedes brought back an I-6 in 2018, Range Rover replaced their V-6 with an I-6 in 2019, and Mazda is coming out with new I-6 engine.

"They're far less complex than V-6s. Compared to a V-6, an inline-6 has only one cylinder head instead of two, often just one turbocharger, two camshafts rather than four, one exhaust manifold, and only one catalytic converter instead of two. As a bonus, inline-6s are also inherently smoother and better balanced, too. That makes for silky acceleration. And just listen to the 2020 Supra to understand how good the engines can sound when tuned properly." (Source: Motor Authority)
Right, if Stellantis brings the 5.7 to the Gladiator I suspect they’ll screw us with the upcharge cost cause us Jeep folk are “special” when it comes to money ;).

I love i6’s. Intrigued for this news and hope it comes out. I love my I6 in my Supra. So smooth and torque for days, loves to rev too. Reminds me, I need to start shopping for tires.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
I really wanted to try another power plant in the gladiator since I have had several pentastars over the years, but my gut wouldn’t let me purchase the diesel.
So if Jeep brings a 5.7 V8 to the gladiator.
8E1FCF48-FD1A-4899-AA57-3BD3C3113D7F.gif
Sponsored