First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Paying a high lease penalty probably wouldn’t make sense with the high resale values right now. I’d buy the lease out and sell, trade, or keep.
Buyout for the lease is basically the sticker cost even a year later. I’d still be considering regardless.
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Give us a twin turbo V-6 similar to the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost and I'll be first in line. Plenty of hp and torque for off-roading and towing. And decent gas mileage.
FCA was working on a gas-powered 3.0 liter turbo inline 6 a few years ago, and in 2019 filed a patent for it. They were referring to it as the Tornado. No noise on that for a couple of years though.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/12/fiat-chrysler-patent-turbo-inline-six-engine/

I prefer a NA V8, but would buy a Gladiator with a turbo I-6 in a heartbeat. The Tornado was apparently being designed to replace the 5.7 Hemi (following Ford’s strategy with Ecoboost engines). So it looked like the Tornado would have similar power numbers as the 5.7, but with the torque coming earlier in the power band. When compared to the 3.0 Ecodiesel, the Tornado would have much better horsepower, almost as much torque, but without the downsides of a modern diesel (DEF and EGR).

Last edited:

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hell I likely couldn't afford what they would charge for either version. I had just enough to get the V6 and that almost didn't happen. Course I bought a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 and it wasn't nearly as expensive as my gladiator sport s. So far the V6 is plenty for me.
Due to the high cost, there is little real demand for a 392 Gladiator, so Jeep will probably produce it as a halo model to generate excitement, but limited sales. On the other hand, there is huge demand for a reasonably priced 5.7 Gladiator, and it would sell like crazy. By "reasonably priced" I mean that the 5.7 Gladiator - if you look at relevant comps - would be about $3,000 more than the 3.6 (auto transmission), and about $1,000 less than the 3.0 Ecodiesel. I don’t think Jeep is going to produce one though, because it would destroy their overall Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). Just speculating...

Reactions: BAT

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Due to the high cost, there is little real demand for a 392 Gladiator, so Jeep will probably produce it as a halo model to generate excitement, but limited sales. On the other hand, there is huge demand for a reasonably priced 5.7 Gladiator, and it would sell like crazy. By "reasonably priced" I mean that the 5.7 Gladiator - if you look at relevant comps - would be about $3,000 more than the 3.6 (auto transmission), and about $1,000 less than the 3.0 Ecodiesel. I don’t think Jeep is going to produce one though, because it would destroy their overall Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). Just speculating...
Yea If I could have gotten a 5.7 version for a few grand more I would have figured it out.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Not when offering the 4xe and diesels. And it appears it's a company wide average, not a particular brand.

Vehicles that don't meet CAFE standards get penalized $55 per mpg under the standard. MB and BMW regularly pay this fine, as it doesn't amount to much. What's a few hundred on a $50k+ vehicle?

Jeep offers a 392 with a sticker price north of $75k, they're going to have money left over.

As CAFE is across the whole fleet (probably the only way the auto mfgs got behind it), having hybrids and electrics really offset anything with poor mpgs. Probably a good reason the Maverick is coming out in Ford's stable.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Not when offering the 4xe and diesels. And it appears it's a company wide average, not a particular brand.

Vehicles that don't meet CAFE standards get penalized $55 per mpg under the standard. MB and BMW regularly pay this fine, as it doesn't amount to much. What's a few hundred on a $50k+ vehicle?

Jeep offers a 392 with a sticker price north of $75k, they're going to have money left over.

As CAFE is across the whole fleet (probably the only way the auto mfgs got behind it), having hybrids and electrics really offset anything with poor mpgs. Probably a good reason the Maverick is coming out in Ford's stable.
Respectfully - I think you might be underestimating the importance of rising CAFE standards. It is driving so much change in the auto industry: aluminum body panels, lighter frames made from high-strength steel, start-stop technology, and of course hybrid engines, and full EV. Auto companies are squeezing every possible mpg they can from existing platforms as they simultaneously develop new technologies (at enormous cost). What else explains the lack of a 5.7 option in the Gladiator?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I was watching a TFL video this morning, they tested a Ram 1/2 ton gas V8 mild-hybrid against the hybrid F150. They towed Up the same speed/time, But the Ram got 2mpg better towing. Blew their mind. They did some digging, and they think when you put the hybrid in tow/haul mode, it basically runs off of the engine alone. (Or maybe used up the battery fast & wasn’t able to benefit from it) I wonder do they all work that way?
If so, the 2.0L would not be a good candidate for a hybrid JT.
I could get behind a straight 6 twin turbo, tho…

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Whoa - I've been looking for news on this - thanks for posting! This is awesome! This is the power train I've been waiting for (since I'm skeptical that we will ever see a reasonable priced 5.7 Hemi Gladiator). Some folks might disagree, but if the Tornado makes its way into the Gladiator, I hope it is just a I-6 with no hybrid electric motor. I know this sounds grumpy and "get off my lawn", but I prefer an off-roader to be as simple as possible (recognizing that all new vehicles are super-complex, but there are levels to this).

Auto manufacturers are re-discovering the I-6 (and that's a good thing). BMW never dropped their I-6, but they have recently invested a lot in both their 3.0 gas and 3.0 diesel I-6 engines; both will be options on the brand new Ineos Grenadier (a modern take on the old Land Rover Defender). Among others, Mercedes brought back an I-6 in 2018, Range Rover replaced their V-6 with an I-6 in 2019, and Mazda is coming out with new I-6 engine.

"They're far less complex than V-6s. Compared to a V-6, an inline-6 has only one cylinder head instead of two, often just one turbocharger, two camshafts rather than four, one exhaust manifold, and only one catalytic converter instead of two. As a bonus, inline-6s are also inherently smoother and better balanced, too. That makes for silky acceleration. And just listen to the 2020 Supra to understand how good the engines can sound when tuned properly." (Source: Motor Authority)

Last edited:

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Hey Jeep, please give us a 5.7 Hemi for a reasonable price like in the Ram, instead of just the apeshit but largely impractical for many of us 392. I promise you an option like that will sell like hot cakes. Much as I love my Mojave, I’ll trade it tomorrow for one PRECISELY like it with a 5.7.
EXACTLY

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Just a few weeks ago I posted about whether anytime after any news of the I-6. I’d love an i-6 more than anything and maybe just maybe more than a v8….. or perhaps not lol

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The non-turbo 4.0 has never left me wanting for more. That may change when usung the JT as a truck. I had a 92 F150 with the old 302 V8. Worst vehicle for power I have ever operated. It was a gift but I sold it and bought a YJ.
Sponsored