Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
the eco D in the glad is already on the verge of cooling issues. Put a v8 in there with similar energy output, you have the same thing. Keep in mind a diesel has the highest thermal efficiency of all combustion engines. It's doing most work with the least heat waste. Gas motors do less work with more heat waste.

It's a issue of BTU's, if you need so many calories of energy to move a certain amount of weight, say a jt with a 7k tow capacity, you need a cooling system that can shed those calories turned BTU's.

Simply put more power more BTU's and the JT platform is not great at shedding that, a v8 works in jk cause it doesn't have the same towing or cargo capacity as a JT. Those numbers are what drives the calculation estimated BTU output and those number are bumping into what the JT can shed.

The 3.6 works cause it's not a high output motor that does generate enough btu's to overwhelm the platform, stick any motor in that platform that has 440+ foot pounds of torque and you need clever ways to shed that heat.
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I saw a video where the lead designer of the Gladā€¦.Mark somethingā€¦ was asked specifically about a V8 option in the Gladiator when it was unveiled and he said it was impossible due to cooling issues. I think it might have been a TFL video but I did see it.
I saw the same video. I remember discussing it here. I pointed out that many people had stuffed a V8 into small trucks and people said that was irrelevant.

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Read this yesterday as well. When it happens I will trade in the Mojave after the first year of 392 Gladiators for sure!
Might keep mine for a couple of years until the bugs get worked out, but I'll be watching closely!

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
Even though I am a jeep newbie, maybe I should be the brand manager. How do you not recognize that there would be huge demand for a V8. Or at least a more powerful V6 engine. Lets break this down. Upgrades like this appeal to enthusiasts. Every single person who buys this vehicle is an enthusiast at some level. No one buys the JT because its the most practical choice out there. Its a fun vehicle. A toy. Accessorized heavily. So yea, that target market is going to value a V8 for performance, sound and cache. Duh. Heck offer it at a hefty premium if you want but offer it. How they didn't look past the basic Penstar when this was being designed is astounding. This is the same company that produces a Hellcat which is bordering on irresponsible haha. Yet they don't understand a Jeep truck buyer would want a V8? Pulling up next to the full size guys and Raptors and such is much more appealing when you have something legit under the hood. This was never supposed to be a practical mid size truck. Leave that for Honda.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Hell I likely couldn't afford what they would charge for either version. I had just enough to get the V6 and that almost didn't happen. Course I bought a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 and it wasn't nearly as expensive as my gladiator sport s. So far the V6 is plenty for me.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Thereā€™s always been demand for a V8 in the Wrangler, why wouldnā€™t there be in a Gladiator. I doubt I will be able to afford it. If it wasnā€™t for insane used car prices, I wouldnā€™t have my Mojave now. Iā€™ll be happy for everyone who really wants a V8 thoughā€¦

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had a 392 in a 2013 AEV JK, and it is a marvelous engine in a Wrangler platform. So I had seriously thought of changing from my 2020 JT to a 2022 JL 392. I even specked out a JL 392, and talked to a dealer about what it would cost, how long it would take to be delivered, and what my JT was worth for trade in.
But I just like the JT platform better. It works better for me with the back country exploring I like to do. I like having the pickup bed to toss items in, and not have to worry about getting the inside of the Jeep dirty.

I would love to see Jeep put a 392 in the JT platform. I would order one on day one. I'm not all that excited about a 5.7 V8. Why bother? If you're going to go to the work of putting a V8 in, then put in the 392.

Jeep, if you're listening, ... I'll buy one.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
A Pentastar with a bit more displacement would be ideal for me. Say 4-4.5 litres. The 392 is overkill. If you are botherred by high rpm, buy the diesel and drive it like a harley-short shifting and lugging it from mudhole to boulder. A lot of motorcycle engines top out at 12-14 thousand rpm with no ill effects.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
A Pentastar with a bit more displacement would be ideal for me. Say 4-4.5 litres. The 392 is overkill. If you are botherred by high rpm, buy the diesel and drive it like a harley-short shifting and lugging it from mudhole to boulder. A lot of motorcycle engines top out at 12-14 thousand rpm with no ill effects.
A Pentastar with a bit more displacement would be ideal for me. Say 4-4.5 litres. The 392 is overkill.
Say 4-4.5 litres. The 392 is overkill.
The 392 is overkill.
The 392 is overkill.
:swear:

What is wrong with you? I think you need to see a doctor.

Just kidding. Yes, practically speaking it's not an everyday motor. But it's fun. Or it should be. And from what I've heard over the years (decades), everyone would love to have more power in a Jeep, so a 5.7-range V8 would be more viable.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I agree with the fun part. Even doughnuts in the mall parking lot get old though. I never had power issues with the 4.0 YJ or the current Cherokee. The 4.6 Triton V8 in the truck is very good at hauling a load. Any thing that would lower the GVWR would be a deal killer for me,

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
V8 would be cool but I kinda don't care because of how over priced it would be. American trucks in general are over priced. Look at the crazy prices on the F-150 lighning. (sorry, tangent)

I really wish they would have developed a factory super charger....$5 to 6K with factory warranty.
Toyota used to offer this as a TRD option up until about 6-7 years ago when they said it was just too expensive for them to keep developing. I would have bought that day 1. I really do wonder if the numbers just dont add up for FCA to sell one through MOPAR

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
A V8 would have be chomping at the bit to play with either a) waiting out my lease and paying a rather substantial over-mileage fee, or figuring out the penalty cost of early terminating my lease to get a different truck. Regardless I'd LOVE a 5.7

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Paying a high lease penalty probably wouldnā€™t make sense with the high resale values right now. Iā€™d buy the lease out and sell, trade, or keep.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I saw a video where the lead designer of the Gladā€¦.Mark somethingā€¦ was asked specifically about a V8 option in the Gladiator when it was unveiled and he said it was impossible due to cooling issues. I think it might have been a TFL video but I did see it.
I think I vaguely recall that too
Sponsored