First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I love my 6 speed. It’s so much fun to drive. I’ll admit it’s not my daily driver but mostly nights and weekends.
No regrets here

5865B431-852D-46D4-8B0E-1355526DA1A1.jpeg
Sponsored

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Can one of you guys tell me the exact details on the 6MT?
ie. Manufactures model number.
I want to put it into the Gear ratio calculator on “grimmjeeper“ and play around with tire sizes.
Thanks

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’ve had countless trucks, jeeps, FJs, classics and modern vehicles with manuals and never tired of driving them. I’ve had 2 automatic transmissions and regretted them both the first day. My JT is wonderful! I think the 6 speed is perfect for this truck. Mine is a Sport S, standard tires and suspension, daily driver. The gear ratios are spot-on in my opinion. As a prior poster said, this isn’t a race car. Wasn’t intended to be, so it doesn’t have a race car tranny. But for what it is, which is my daily commuter/mulch hauler/dog carrier/take the family to the mountains/ and everything else vehicle it is GREAT!
PS..... Jeep needs to get their head out of their ......... and remember that manual drivers would appreciate engine upgrades too. The 6 speed in a diesel would be a peach!

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I wanted the MT, as $2k for an AT seems steep, but my wife doesn't like driving a manual since she injured her right shoulder, so...
The AT is very responsive, and much more relaxing on the highway. I test drove a manual, and there's nothing available at 60MPH in 6th gear, so you'll constantly be downshifting to accelerate.
I just wish it'd go into 8th a bit more often (damn headwinds!)

Kevin
You can do what I do, but it in manual mode and shift it into 8th yourself, then put transmission back into “D”

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I had a 2013 JK manual, a 2017 JKUR manual, and this is my first auto. The reason being is I tried a JL manual and the clutch uptake was so bizarre and bitey that I just didn't like it. Along with the greatness that the the new automatic was, and the challenge of resale for a manual, I went with the auto this time.

I don't regret it.

But, I still wheel as if there is a clutch, and I cannot seem to un-learn in. So now I use the brake like I used to use the clutch and it's almost the same. I like wheeling with a manual better than an automatic still, and would likely have chosen a manual this go-around if they just made it better. The Bronco is a good example of how to "do it better".
You've driven a Bronco?

Glady8ta

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have an MT as well and love it. But lets face it, these days the Auto transmission is good. i dare say it can probably change with more fuel efficiency than me. Long gone are the days of inefficient 3 speed autos. However if you like the nostalgia of driving a stick i say go for it. I think in the end there isn't a bad choice to be made. Both are great.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I have my YJ and the AX-15, I'm super happy with the 8 spd ZF in the JTR.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I unfortunately fall into the category of ordering a MT Rubicon and within yr 1 swapping it out for an auto. I got the manual initially because the $2K price tag for auto just felt pointless and who doesn't love rowing through the gears. The issue became a problem during extended road trips (2x - over 3K miles each) where the gf wasn't able to give me a break driving. I attempted to teach her numerous times but cringed each time she killed it and couldn't learn. The concept just became too difficult for her to learn and I paid the price by having to swap it out. Luckily I was able to sell the vehicle for $2K over my purchase price with about 14K miles on the clock even. Overall I wish I still had my manual but my body enjoys the ability to have someone else drive when on extended drives.
I feel your pain. I taught MSF courses for twelve years and witnessed the decline of coordinated motor skills and general mechanical aptitude for male and female students. The women have always been the most difficult to teach anything to for a host of behavioral reasons. Equality is horse poop. Bought the wife an automatic plinker .22. Too complicated and she would not touch it. She is happy with the revolver. She also refuses to back the truck into the driveway. At least I did not pay 60G-she was free. BTW, Rossi is great but his star has dimmed. Really glad to have others at the top and MM93 sidelined this year.

Sponsored

Ian8

I have driven 3 gladiator manual transmissions: 1 Rubicon at the dealer, 1 Sport S at the dealer, and now I own a base Sport. The Rubicon was super easy to drive; never stalled it out and shifts were smooth and positive. The Sport S was an entirely different story. Granted it had less than 25 miles on it, but I could hardly feel the friction point and stalled it out probably 5 times in my short test drive. I had similar problems with the Sport I ended up purchasing. I found that the engine and clutch needed about 3000 miles to get broken in. I think it states something to that effect in the Owner's Manual, but it really completely changes the driving experience once its worn in.
During the first 1000 miles, I was really regretting getting the manual: I would stall all the time while parking and even while rolling downhill into first.
Now, I am getting excellent fuel economy (25MPG combined) and stalls are much less frequent.
Below is the table of my typical shift points. I
1st0-6 mph
2nd6-18 mph
3rd19-31 mph
4th32-45 mph
5th46-50 mph
6th51+ mph
Like others have said, I also experienced the truck's inability to hold speed in overdrives on uphills. Heck, when I first bought it, I think I had to use 3rd gear to climb up a hill at 50 mph. But now after breaking in the engine, I drive US 322 and I 99 in PA frequently and she has no trouble holding 70 mph in 6th. It sometimes has trouble holding 55 mph in sixth, but is significantly better than during the first 1000 miles.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I have driven 3 gladiator manual transmissions: 1 Rubicon at the dealer, 1 Sport S at the dealer, and now I own a base Sport. The Rubicon was super easy to drive; never stalled it out and shifts were smooth and positive. The Sport S was an entirely different story. Granted it had less than 25 miles on it, but I could hardly feel the friction point and stalled it out probably 5 times in my short test drive. I had similar problems with the Sport I ended up purchasing. I found that the engine and clutch needed about 3000 miles to get broken in. I think it states something to that effect in the Owner's Manual, but it really completely changes the driving experience once its worn in.
During the first 1000 miles, I was really regretting getting the manual: I would stall all the time while parking and even while rolling downhill into first.
Now, I am getting excellent fuel economy (25MPG combined) and stalls are much less frequent.
1st0-6 mph
2nd6-18 mph
3rd19-31 mph
4th32-45 mph
5th46-50 mph
6th51+ mph
Like others have said, I also experienced the truck's inability to hold speed in overdrives on uphills. Heck, when I first bought it, I think I had to use 3rd gear to climb up a hill at 50 mph. But now after breaking in the engine, I drive US 322 and I 99 in PA frequently and she has no trouble holding 70 mph in 6th. It sometimes has trouble holding 55 mph in sixth, but is significantly better than during the first 1000 miles.
I rarely go to 6th in my Rubi before 60+ mph and usually hold 4th until about 50+ especially on the highway, but I have driven a MT since I was 16 and I ride motorcycles. I still stall my Gladiator after 30,000 miles. I have a Ford Focus ST 6spd that I commute in and have never stalled it. The Gladiator MT is hard to find the sweet spot in my opinion. It's not awful and still fun to drive, but the engine needs more skinny pedal than some.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
1st0-6 mph
2nd6-18 mph
3rd19-31 mph
4th32-45 mph
5th46-50 mph
6th51+ mph
The auto won't hold top gear, either, on hills. It won't hold 7th, for that matter. Not sure why the manual gets bashed for this and the auto gets a pass.

You are right about break-in. My engine kept freeing up and gaining power all the way to 22k or 23k miles. It pulls 6th gear with 35's just fine now. But I still downshift for steeper hills. Just like the auto transmission does. Again, love the engine/transmission combo!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I had a similar experience with “breaking in” the linkage. Not surprised as my understanding is the linkage is cable operated rather than a direct top-load design. But now with 18K on the clock it is as smooth as any other I’ve had and a WHOLE LOT better than my old Triumph Spitfire from decades ago.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
The auto is meant to shift more for climbing hills, but it is done automatically, no clutch work, faster between the gears and such. No work load on the driver. It can be annoying when you approach a hill in 6th gear that you think you're going to get up without downshifting only to find nope, gotta shift but then you're behind the momentum curve and you are accelerating up the hill instead of holding speed. The auto is just smoother with its 2 extra gears (had the same transmission in my RAM 1500 ecodiesel so I can attest to how it drives)...this isn't me regretting my MT, but just giving the OP information since he hasn't decided on what he wants.
Sponsored