Sponsored

8.4" Does Not Recognize All Files on USB

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
My iPod works. Most of the time. Sometimes I get a "Connect device" message but it'll usually sort itself out.

The guys on the JL forum have longer thread(s) on this issue
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I believe 32gb seems to be the max "size" the system will read. I have a 128gb thumb drive....if I fill it up with more than 30ish GB then it does not show everything. I believe it literally stops readying after 32gb...so depending on how files are layed out it could seem like its random what it reads....but I think its just stops after filling up some buffer or something.

Kinda lame for 2020.

Format does not seem to matter....FAT32 or NTFS.

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I agree. Even my 4Runner would read all 145 gb on my 160 gb iPod Classic. Jeep is supposed to be way ahead of Toyota in terms of interior features and tech. Not so in this one area!

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I just got off the phone with Lauren from tech support. @JeepCares had actually opened a care with FCA. She informed me that the 8.4" Alpine system can only take from 4-32 GB USB sticks and there may be some limitation to the number of files (over 5000 seems to be a problem). I would contend that 16 GB seems to be the limit or maybe it's that 32 GB and huge (fewer) files would work, but I think most of my MP3s are 1t 128 kbps and may be smaller. I think that's completely unacceptable, especially since it's supposed to be the premium system. Anyone else have this problem? Send a private message to @JeepCares , and maybe if enough people do, they will fix the problem with a firmware update. I would think that 64 or 128 GB would be a much more modern implementation of USB.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I believe 32gb seems to be the max "size" the system will read. I have a 128gb thumb drive....if I fill it up with more than 30ish GB then it does not show everything. I believe it literally stops readying after 32gb...so depending on how files are layed out it could seem like its random what it reads....but I think its just stops after filling up some buffer or something.

Kinda lame for 2020.

Format does not seem to matter....FAT32 or NTFS.
Mine seems to peter out after 16 GB, though thanks for checking the FAT32/NTFS issue! I even tried formatting the drive as 2x16 GB partitions, which didn't fool it, unfortunately. It read part of one and part of the other. It might also be a # of files issue.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just got off the phone with Lauren from tech support. @JeepCares had actually opened a care with FCA. She informed me that the 8.4" Alpine system can only take from 4-32 GB USB sticks and there may be some limitation to the number of files (over 5000 seems to be a problem). I would contend that 16 GB seems to be the limit or maybe it's that 32 GB and huge (fewer) files would work, but I think most of my MP3s are 1t 128 kbps and may be smaller. I think that's completely unacceptable, especially since it's supposed to be the premium system. Anyone else have this problem? Send a private message to @JeepCares , and maybe if enough people do, they will fix the problem with a firmware update. I would think that 64 or 128 GB would be a much more modern implementation of USB.
Yeah, must some sort of combo of size and file count because I have nowhere near 5000 files...yet what I do have (mostly lossless FLAC,etc) adds up to over 32gb...and it just seems to stop at 30-32gb worth of "data"....what that means in files I suppose depends on size of files and how they are laid in file structure.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Oh how I miss the simplicity of popping in my favorite CD and just letting it play through.

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
Mine seems to peter out after 16 GB, though thanks for checking the FAT32/NTFS issue! I even tried formatting the drive as 2x16 GB partitions, which didn't fool it, unfortunately. It read part of one and part of the other. It might also be a # of files issue.
I am waiting for the delivery of my gladiator currently and wanted to know if a USB with flac files would work (looks like yes ... thanks for that!).

Regarding the drive/data size limitations, I would guess that this is running on a linux based system... with that in mind, has anybody tried a drive formatted in ext4?

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I am waiting for the delivery of my gladiator currently and wanted to know if a USB with flac files would work (looks like yes ... thanks for that!).

Regarding the drive/data size limitations, I would guess that this is running on a linux based system... with that in mind, has anybody tried a drive formatted in ext4?
I think I did once and it did not recognize it. It's worth a try though because I think mine is hosed.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
My iPod works. Most of the time. Sometimes I get a "Connect device" message but it'll usually sort itself out.

The guys on the JL forum have longer thread(s) on this issue

Update: My iPod no longer works. "Not recognized" - now I'm using a USB

GoFastJTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
I have the 8.4" audio system and I plug in a 64 GB USB drive into either USB1 or USB2 (I tried USB3 as well). It seems that the audio system only sees about half of the 3900 songs that are on the drive. I browse through the files and about half of the folders are missing (compared to what I can see with Windows). I've even tried reformatting the drive to 32 GB with FAT32 and I still have the same problem. Is there some limitation with UConnect that only allows a certain number of files?

On a separate, but possibly related issue, the audio system doesn't always show the song's album art, though I'm certain that those hidden files are also copied to the USB.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks!

FOUND A SOLUTION: format your USB stick with MacOS Extended (Journaled).

I just found the solution to this problem. I searched all over the internet, all forums and couldn't find anything that works. So I did my own testing with different USB drives, different file structures, different partition formats.

The solution that worked for me was formatting the USB drive to MacOS Extended (Journaled). I am using a 512 GB SanDisk USB drive with 300 GB of music on it, with some folders containing 500-1000 mp3s, and everything works! I can see all my folders and all my mp3s on my Uconnect 8.4 on my 2022 Jeep Gladiator.

With FAT32 it was only displaying some of the folders and some of the mp3s. ExFAT didn't work at all. Haven't tried NTFS.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
FOUND A SOLUTION: format your USB stick with MacOS Extended (Journaled).

I just found the solution to this problem. I searched all over the internet, all forums and couldn't find anything that works. So I did my own testing with different USB drives, different file structures, different partition formats.

The solution that worked for me was formatting the USB drive to MacOS Extended (Journaled). I am using a 512 GB SanDisk USB drive with 300 GB of music on it, with some folders containing 500-1000 mp3s, and everything works! I can see all my folders and all my mp3s on my Uconnect 8.4 on my 2022 Jeep Gladiator.

With FAT32 it was only displaying some of the folders and some of the mp3s. ExFAT didn't work at all. Haven't tried NTFS.
That's pretty cool that you got it to work! At least it shows that the system is capable of reading something bigger than 16 GB... How would a PC person be able to make a MacOS formatted USB drive and be able to copy files to it from a PC?

GoFastJTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
That's pretty cool that you got it to work! At least it shows that the system is capable of reading something bigger than 16 GB... How would a PC person be able to make a MacOS formatted USB drive and be able to copy files to it from a PC?

I think there are programs and drivers available for windows, but everything on Windows is a huge pain in the ass. I switched to Mac 15 years ago and never went back. I have saved so many hours of my life by not fixing windows problems. You'll probably live longer if you switch to Mac.

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Much to my shock and dismay, it worked! Most often the MacOS file formatting is totally ignored by vendors. @GoFastJTR thanks for the heads up! @elarse1 I'd send it to me and I can format and send back, but then reading/updating it on a Windows machine is your bigger issue.

On a side note; for anyone using a Mac and iTunes (Apple Music) I highly recommend the Export for iTunes app. Makes the process a breeze.
Sponsored