8.4" Does Not Recognize All Files on USB

Deride

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Mazda
I had this same issue with a lot of missing music on the Uconnect but was definitely on the USB. I tried every formatting and different size USB’s, all wouldn’t work until I stopped transferring the music to the usb in folders. Currently have around 110 gb of music all working on a 120gb USB with NTFS format (also worked on Fat32). I transferred each song by themselves to the USB, and UConnect itself automatically grouped all songs into folders by artist and album. You can also “select all” songs in an album and transfer them. Just don’t transfer any by folder.
Sponsored

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I had this same issue with a lot of missing music on the Uconnect but was definitely on the USB. I tried every formatting and different size USB’s, all wouldn’t work until I stopped transferring the music to the usb in folders. Currently have around 110 gb of music all working on a 120gb USB with NTFS format (also worked on Fat32). I transferred each song by themselves to the USB, and UConnect itself automatically grouped all songs into folders by artist and album. You can also “select all” songs in an album and transfer them. Just don’t transfer any by folder.
Great idea! I'll have to figure out if there's some way for robocopy to do that from my music library (which has tons of nested folders).

-Erik

Deride

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Mazda
Great idea! I'll have to figure out if there's some way for robocopy to do that from my music library (which has tons of nested folders).

-Erik
I transferred almost 15,000 songs that way. Got it done the same day, but it was tedious.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I can confirm that Deride is a genius! I got all 4300 of my songs into one folder and now the Jeep can see all of them. It took about five minutes to read the whole thing, but it's working well!

I found a free utility called Folder Merger (free!) for Windows that can take all of your folders and merge them into a single one on your USB. It also let's you exclude certain files (e.g. you can exclude jpg files so you're not copying over album art) and you can save it as a project so you can just run the project again and it'll only add new or modified files.

-Erik

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I can confirm that Deride is a genius! I got all 4300 of my songs into one folder and now the Jeep can see all of them. It took about five minutes to read the whole thing, but it's working well!

I found a free utility called Folder Merger (free!) for Windows that can take all of your folders and merge them into a single one on your USB. It also let's you exclude certain files (e.g. you can exclude jpg files so you're not copying over album art) and you can save it as a project so you can just run the project again and it'll only add new or modified files.

-Erik
FYI if you just do a windows search in the root folder of you music and type *.* (aka find all filles) or type *.mp3 (aka just find any file with a mp3 extension) into the search and then do a select all and a copy and paste the results into a new folder it will grab all the files from that search and just dump them as a cluster of files with out folders into what ever folder you want.

Sponsored

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Sorry for the bump but I followed this advice as well.

I was able to get 11000+ songs onto the usb and be able to play them (with shuffle) but the build list to organize the cache is taking forever. How long did it take for uconnect to build your browse list??

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse

-Erik
Did you slide all of your mp3 files onto a blank USB? Or did you put them into a single folder on the usb?

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Did you slide all of your mp3 files onto a blank USB? Or did you put them into a single folder on the usb?
I put them all into the root folder of the USB stick. It took a long time, but it worked! I wish I could have kept the directory structure because the UConnect audio system can maneuver and play songs within folders, but I'd rather have all the songs available.

UConnect does sort the sorts a little oddly when they're all dumped in there together, but it works.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry for the bump but I followed this advice as well.

I was able to get 11000+ songs onto the usb and be able to play them (with shuffle) but the build list to organize the cache is taking forever. How long did it take for uconnect to build your browse list??
I don't recall that it took took long to build the browse list (a couple minutes?), and it was a one-time thing, unlike my Hyundai Tucson, which takes 10 minutes every time I turn the car on...

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
I'm curious if you created a folder on the USB stick and put the music in there or did you just dump the files to the root of the drive?

I have tried this several times with different formats (mp3, flac) with and without playlists and it just seems like unorganized chaos. There is no indication of what song belongs to what album/artist or what order the songs are going to play in. I have read several posts on here and was led to believe it was going to organize itself in some form of hierarchy? I wasn't ready to commit to 1,000's of songs so I believe there were about 100 I loaded and it looked like Yahtzee. I'll stick with Spotify and downloading albums to my phone when out of cell range.

I have an 8.4 and it just came out of the shop and had all of the UConnect software updated so I'm not sure why it won't organize correctly or play in order (no not on shuffle)?

Sponsored

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Alright I figured it out:

I took my 128gb flash drive and formatted it to FAT32.

I made sure my Itunes library songs were all on mp3 format.

I organized and copied all of my songs (songs only, NO FOLDERS) to a seperate unamed folder on my desktop.

I then moved my songs only to the ROOT file on the flash drive.

I plugged into center console, and in less then 5 minutes all of the songs were indexed!

I now have ~80gb of music to drive around with!

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious if you created a folder on the USB stick and put the music in there or did you just dump the files to the root of the drive?

I have tried this several times with different formats (mp3, flac) with and without playlists and it just seems like unorganized chaos. There is no indication of what song belongs to what album/artist or what order the songs are going to play in. I have read several posts on here and was led to believe it was going to organize itself in some form of hierarchy? I wasn't ready to commit to 1,000's of songs so I believe there were about 100 I loaded and it looked like Yahtzee. I'll stick with Spotify and downloading albums to my phone when out of cell range.

I have an 8.4 and it just came out of the shop and had all of the UConnect software updated so I'm not sure why it won't organize correctly or play in order (no not on shuffle)?
I dumped everything to the root folder and it seems to be working. If you're having trouble with the artist names or the album cover showing correctly, I suggest a free utility called MP3Tag that can fix that up.

-Erik

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
I dumped everything to the root folder and it seems to be working. If you're having trouble with the artist names or the album cover showing correctly, I suggest a free utility called MP3Tag that can fix that up.

-Erik
Thank you for the software tip, suggestion! MP3Tag? Huge fan! Once upon a time I used to be serious about my music. got Spotify and stopped ripping and downloading. I'm lazy that way :)

It is often that I'm out of cell ranges so I'd like this to work. The files are tagged an have no problem with identification or album artwork. My problem begins and ends with the sorting on the drive. Each track is tagged with the album information, artist, and track position but when I add it to the thumb drive it takes no form of hierarchy(that's why I added playlists). When the tracks are added to the drive they position themselves, not even numerically, where ever they would like and play out of album/artist order no matter if shuffle is selected.

Sigz

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse

What format is the drive formatted in?

How big is the drive?

To clarify how I got it working -

I'm jusing a scandisk usb flash drive: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B081QSJNRJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=38E8941WMWSR2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.MOCbQmO7_tAxoUggoRicYqrxYFC3YACbuqZoRYZ1PQwbbXoS4wYag5_SVLERgAeNMovB-8QmKjerc5o7QVVnjknf-30XosREQCyKi6Ix9OBYRAyCUm0g6k8ygdVTzSn_pcCx3SEzSF7KvPT0t261znzD-sZK6oKI7HkTcQj8GZasvIqV9HBD3ir-k9fkij7k123Z80uP_rF8c57baKTGfi_TMKU_K9TnegsZvVx0jbo.DiH8usw20GRgSFm9c-ajrJ_7pvJoMqBtMMM-yt6bTm8&dib_tag=se&keywords=sandisk+128gb+flash+drive&qid=1711108828&sprefix=sandisk+128gb+flash+drive,aps,109&sr=8-2

I made sure all of my song files were in mp3 format. My songs are organized via Itunes.

I moved all of my songs (song files only, no folders) to a single folder on my desktop for grouping.

I went into that folder, selected all of the songs, and moved them to the blank root file on the drive.

I plugged into center console, and after around 15 seconds - music started playing. After about 30 seconcds - the total song value # was listed above the "now playing" song. Anda after about five minutes - the browse button went from "creating/indexing library" to complete.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the software tip, suggestion! MP3Tag? Huge fan! Once upon a time I used to be serious about my music. got Spotify and stopped ripping and downloading. I'm lazy that way :)

It is often that I'm out of cell ranges so I'd like this to work. The files are tagged an have no problem with identification or album artwork. My problem begins and ends with the sorting on the drive. Each track is tagged with the album information, artist, and track position but when I add it to the thumb drive it takes no form of hierarchy(that's why I added playlists). When the tracks are added to the drive they position themselves, not even numerically, where ever they would like and play out of album/artist order no matter if shuffle is selected.
I agree, it does pick a weird play order some times. For the most part, it plays them alphabetically by artist, then by song name, but not always. And sometimes, it skips around by album. It might have something to do with the Artist Name vs. Contributing Artist fields in the file metadata. I haven't done much checking because I'll forget to check when I get home from a drive in the Jeep, and then old age memory kicks in and it's gone...

Have you tried playing by Album or by Artist from the UConnect menu? I haven't tried that yet.
Sponsored