Sponsored

8 Speed Behavior

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I noticed after driving around with my new Gladiator how it behaves on hills. I find it hard to get used to, and I guess it's normal. When driving down a steep mountain road today, my engine starts to really rev but also acts like it's an engine brake. I don't need to use my brakes nearly as much. Now keep in mind this is coming from a GM 6 speed auto that would drop gears and require constant brake input. Even in my neighborhood there's a small hill to drive down, and again it begins to rev up. I'd like someone to confirm this is normal.
Sponsored

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
My JL and JT both had/have the 8 speed and I would notice the same thing.

OP
OP
TrainMan

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I'm guessing it also needs to "learn" my driving style. It's only got 400 miles on it.

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
I'm guessing it also needs to "learn" my driving style. It's only got 400 miles on it.
I had about 17000 miles on my JL before selling it and it never went away. After a while I just got used to it but there were times in my neighborhood it would downshift and feel like I just dropped the clutch on a manual into a lower gear.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm terribly impressed by that feature, I appreciate using engine braking automatically. It's a little spooky at first, but it really mitigates some of the things I don't like about automatics. I am used to manuals where the engine speed dictates the vehicle speed, in a deterministic way - as opposed to traditional dumb automatics where you coast past your desired speed. If I want to coast, I put the clutch in, otherwise, I want speed set by my throttle. VERY handy in the hills!

Sponsored

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Mine does it too. I’m used to it, because my 2017 Ram did the same thing. I don’t know if they have the same transmission or not, but it was also an 8 speed auto.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My 2013 Ram diesel aggressively downshifts when in tow/haul mode. Jeep told us they incorporated similar features into the software for the 8 speed so it did not need a tow/haul mode.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes it's "normal". No, it shouldn't be that way. It's WAYYYY too aggressive for a light duty vehicle like a Jeep. It's annoying actually. But yes, they are all that way.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Yep, it's normal. It threw me off in my first 8 speed vehicle (a Dodge Durango) but I'm used to it now.
In fact it seems strange driving my JK Wrangler that doesn't have that feature now.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
My Diesel GC had it and loved it. The Gladiator is way softer than the GC was. I even had the GC tuned to be more aggressive for engine braking. So nice to not have it run away downhill.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I had the 8-speed in my '14 Ram and it did the same. Loved it when it kept me from over-using the brakes on a steep downhill. Hated it when it overly engine-braked those times I just wanted to take adantage of gravity and "coast" in a high gear. Since it never did learn to read my mind, I opted for the 6-speed in my Jeep and am much happier now.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
it probably has a lot more to do with engine temperature than 'learning' anything.
The algorithms are all programmed in from the factory.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 8-speed in my '14 Ram and it did the same. Loved it when it kept me from over-using the brakes on a steep downhill. Hated it when it overly engine-braked those times I just wanted to take adantage of gravity and "coast" in a high gear. Since it never did learn to read my mind, I opted for the 6-speed in my Jeep and am much happier now.
Yeah, agree to the control of a manual, but this 8 speed is lightyears ahead of older slush boxes. Nothing but a manual can do what you want it to do 100% of the time... just wish it didn't take such a hit on the tow rating.

Last edited:

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Yeah, agree to the control of a manual, but this 8 speed is lightyears ahead of older slush boxes. Nothing but a manual can do what you want it to do 100% of the time... just wish it didn't take sure a hit on the tow rating.
Yes, absolutely the best automatic I've ever driven.
Sponsored