First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
It looks like the OP has larger than stock tires. I'm surprised that Jeep isn't trying to blame the failure on that.
i would think he would be safe up to at least 35s. What size does the op have?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
ShadowsPapa,

Excellent info for everyone. I think that we are on the same page.

For clarification, reread my definitions. I'm pretty certain that I said that new truly means new. My apologies if that didn't come through clearly. It's just like the the tranny that goes into the vehicle at the assy plant, straight from the transmission plant. What I meant to imply in the definition of a remanufactured trans is that a dealership service manager might say that you need a new transmission, but in fact it is most likely going to be a reman unit. Truly new transmissions are hard to come by and few automakers actually use new transmissions in warranty repairs. The law allows them to use reman engines and transmissions if they want. It is not the dealerships call, it is the automakers call. I think that I know what the answer is for the posters Gladiator, but he can inquire himself.

That's why I subsequently put the word "new" in quotes.

The original post only said the "trans was on backorder". In your reply you said that you "would fight for a "new" transmission". I wanted everone to understand that the poster was probably not going to get a truly new transmission. That's all. But I hope he does a little homework and informs all of us.

Other than that clarification, thanks for all of the reference material. That's good stuff.

Cheers
Yeah, it would be interesting to find out how Jeep handles his if they end up replacing it - they have to disclose what they put back in.......... at these miles, as long as it's covered by the full Jeep drivetrain warranty when all done, it won't be that big a deal. I'm more OCD, extremely picky and expect perfection - that's not for everyone.... I gotta recognize that.

Sometimes you lose fights......... maybe I'd be better suggesting my efforts could be based on miles. If it was below a certain age and miles, I'd care more about how the warranty was handled.
If it was up in miles, no matter because the truck has wear and they'd warrant. But they'd better follow the law and explain it's not new and is being replaced according to the warranty text allowing use of remanufactured parts, etc.
If it was NOT a warranty thing - no way I'd go remanufactured, not with my experiences - almost all bad in all of these years - with reman parts.
In fact, remanufactured parts gave us so much trouble that the last shop I worked in when I wasn't doing my own thing, told customers we'd do it ourselves, and if there was a hurry, they had to sign off on the fact they told us they were asking for remanufactured parts. Constant failures, took more time for us to deal with some of that junk than to just do it ourselves, so that's what the boss said - do it ourselves.

Back on my own stuff - If it wasn't a warranty repair, depending on circumstances at the time (my age, health, how full my shop was, etc.) I'd do the work myself, or, have a dedicated transmission shop do the work That would be cheaper than any dealership, and, it would be done by people who do it every day.
I used to - rebuild transmissions on a regular basis. In fact, the shop owner found out I did automatics and had a table custom built for me, steel top, drain troughs on each side of the table, sloped to drain into a bucket at the end. He bought me all of the tools necessary - a lot of specialty tools, especially for MOPAR transmissions and a few others.
Most of my tools for engines, transmissions and differentials are aged (like me!) and date back a few years so I'm somewhat limited on any special compressors, pullers and such, but I do a fair job fabricating some of the things I need.

Due to me not following my own rules and advice as an IT admin, I lost many of the pictures I had over the years showing failures, problems and so on - yeah, total crash, totally unrecoverable. I guess it was a do as I suggest, not do a I do as I knew better as I was a witness in a court case when a trucking company lost all of their data due to a server crash - and they failed to use the backup system I had installed for them the prior year.......... LOL, you think I would have learned!

I have a few pics left from more recent times showing starters, alternators and other parts crap coming from remanufacturers.

People can do what they want, it's their truck, do what they feel comfortable with, and it may work out............ but not me. If this alternator goes, I will fix it myself. If it's under warranty, I will pay the difference to get a brand new one. Same for the starter and certain other parts.

It looks like the OP has larger than stock tires. I'm surprised that Jeep isn't trying to blame the failure on that.
HA - he's actually less likely to mess up the transmission with larger tires. 7th and 8th should last forever LOL

When I worked at a Saab dealership we had a really great tech who was the only one allowed to rebuild a transmission. But even then it was only done on customer pay jobs. If it was warranty work, Saab supplied a new transmission.

He could change a transmission in half of book time and never had any come-backs or reworks. He was also the guy that our local service rep instructed all New England dealers to send cars in danger of lemon law eligibility to. A couple of times per month, we would get a car in on a flatbed from another dealer for Steve to fix. The guy was a master diagnostician. With a stethoscope and a multimeter, the guy could find anything.
And that's why the owner of the one shop I worked at decided to have me do the work in-house. Granted, we weren't a dealership, so no warranty junk to deal with.....
I had a 0 comeback rating on all things. Nothing ever came back for the same problem or a related problem. I was hired on college instructors recommendation, GPA, and as a final decider, I had to troubleshoot a Ford the service manager had spent all morning on and hadn't yet figured it out.

There are precious few who can do true troubleshooting and diagnosing. If a shop finds such a person, they need to keep them happy.
With warranty, as you and others have said already, you must do what the company will reimburse you for. You can't venture out on your own - you risk eating it. Jeep won't pay them for getting ATF up to their elbows and arm pits. (except for valve bodies, etc.)

There are few natural troubleshooters. My HS shop teacher knew that, and saw that. I skipped the first two levels of classes by taking a test - it was not a written test, I had to show it and describe it. I had to cover all of the systems of the C6 transmission, explain every valve and shuttle, every band and clutch pack, every passage. Then I had to do the same for carburetors - and the top example was a Holley 4bbl vacuum secondaries (that ages me, doesn't it??)

If you know someone who can diagnose, troubleshoot, and doesn't just swap parts until it works (which can actually make things WORSE), better keep 'em.
A friend in DC area who is one of their top techs for Mercedes recommended me to Mercedes as a diagnostician and systems troubleshooter - network background, automotive electric background, etc. - but by then things had settled with my job at the state agency where I finally worked, so I stayed put.

So I guess I just get a bit impatient with those who hold the wrench but aren't sure why..........

Man, am I old or what? C6, TF727; 350, 400 chevy; Plymouth? Yikes. Where'd time go? Where'd all all that long dark thick hair go?
Jeep Gladiator 8 speed done at 22k PTSC-cover

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had a motor put in a Ford under warranty and they used a new motor. Not a reman.

I'm betting I will get a new transmission in this case, but I will double check with the Service Writer.
Either way, they must disclose what they used, and a reman has to have the identifying sticker on it. And it's not just for you - IMO, Jeep would want to know in case they saw a pattern of any troubles with anything coming from a certain plant. I mean - they pay good money for those parts, Jeep would surely want to make sure they were getting decent product since Jeep has to stand behind it for the duration of your drive train warranty.
Good luck, we're pulling for you.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way, they must disclose what they used, and a reman has to have the identifying sticker on it. And it's not just for you - IMO, Jeep would want to know in case they saw a pattern of any troubles with anything coming from a certain plant. I mean - they pay good money for those parts, Jeep would surely want to make sure they were getting decent product since Jeep has to stand behind it for the duration of your drive train warranty.
Good luck, we're pulling for you.
What are your thoughts on whether a reman might be BETTER than new??

My uncle was a professional photographer and always insisted on buying refurbished Nikon equipment. His rational was that the refurbished stuff was hand checked and hand calibrated by engineers in their Long Island facility, not assembled by a line worker.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What are your thoughts on whether a reman might be BETTER than new??

My uncle was a professional photographer and always insisted on buying refurbished Nikon equipment. His rational was that the refurbished stuff was hand checked and hand calibrated by engineers in their Long Island facility, not assembled by a line worker.
I have yet to see it in reality.
You are saying that the cameras are not checked or calibrated when new? And ONLY remanufacturers do that?
And then there's the case - for almost any item you can come up with, there are multiple places doing the "remanufacturing".
I have yet to see anything automotive remanufactured that's better.

I'll pick on electronics since I used to work for an electronic engineering company, surrounded by EEs and QA people..............
So you have something with some electronics to it - anything with a board and components.
It's being "remanufactured". Do they replace every single electronic component in that item - or do they check to see that it works, and pass it down the line?
I ask this because electronics fail at power-up.
So unless that item has the whole board replaced - regardless, it may have only so many more power cycles left.

I've watched videos of new transmissions being assembled - it's hard to imagine that there's more care in a remanufacturing facility because those people are also jut line workers. They get paid no more, maybe even less, depending on union situations. Why would anyone in a building that remanufactures anything care any more than someone building it new?

The ones that come to mind with the most detail for me were the plants where the people were sitting on stools disassembling things and tossing the parts into wire baskets to be take through the cleaning tanks. And I mean tossed. It wasn't well lit, and there wasn't any rhyme nor reason or tracking things and keeping them apart. A part from one item may end up in another part number of that item because it fit.

I recall carburetors - Throttle body for a 4300 from a Ford ended up on the carburetor that got marked for a 70 AMC - and the PCV port on that throttle body - oops, there shouldn't be one, we'll fill it with putty (it should stay).
Linkages would be mismatched and so on.
Transmissions - going back a few years, but there were different variations of the TF727. Did it matter which clutch packs went into which case? Naw, they're all 727s even though one for this engine should have more plates and disks than one for that engine. So - when you bought a reman transmission you have been putting the light duty guts behind the bigger engine.
They don't do auto parts one piece at a time.

Starters - wrong thrust washers, wrong drive, wrong drive end housing, wrong bushings. They were all Ford starters, right? Well, they may have looked that way - but they varied by year and engine. Doesn't matter, it's all Ford, take 'em apart, toss things into that basket, they'll be cleaned and then the people on the other end will pull parts out of the basket and start building starters.

Alternators - uh, that's a 1971 and later model - what's it doing with that isolation diode on it? Those years don't hove those...........

Maybe some tiny little outfit was doing cameras and they were small and paid attention and did it better or differently - sounds the way you worded it that it was a Nikon facility. That's very very different. No comparison to automotive stuff, and you are not likely to interchange parts in those and have them work in the end. If it was Nikon owned, then there was likely no difference between it or new. Even at that, I can't see it being better - most likely the same - parts still have age and wear, and electronics are still a risk.

But my money is still on new, or a rebuilder for auto parts.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Reminds me of the 1974 Dodge Colt we once owned: eventually, the timing chain jumped a tooth or two and ate the engine. While we were rebuilding it we found out that at some point during the production of the 1974 models Mitsubishi introduced a "small" change in the engine - among the changes was the exhaust ports in the head changed from round to square. The only way to know which one you had was to find the engine serial number.

OP
OP
Wheelin98TJ

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
My Jeep is already done. I'm pretty surprised. Only 19 days at the dealer.

I'm picking it up later today and will update if its a new or used part.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
This just sounds like shitty luck to be honest

The ZF 8 speed is probably the best transmission on the market right now

OP
OP
Wheelin98TJ

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
This just sounds like shitty luck to be honest

The ZF 8 speed is probably the best transmission on the market right now
I agree, not many of these things failing.

I suppose anything can happen these days with the parts and labor shortages.

OP
OP
Wheelin98TJ

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I confirmed with the Service Advisor it did get a new transmission. Paperwork also shows this.

It also got a new trans cooler and a software update.

Moe Morales

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota tacoma
I confirmed with the Service Advisor it did get a new transmission. Paperwork also shows this.

It also got a new trans cooler and a software update.
How’s your New Transmission . I’m getting my transmission replaced this week . Old transmission would shift hard into reverse and slip from 3rd into 4th 2020 Rubicon 30,000 miles

OP
OP
Wheelin98TJ

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
How’s your New Transmission . I’m getting my transmission replaced this week . Old transmission would shift hard into reverse and slip from 3rd into 4th 2020 Rubicon 30,000 miles
No issues, all good. Only a couple thousand miles though.
Sponsored