OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Hello-
I ended up with a Sport (no power windows or locks). Yes, it is a little odd but I still love the simplicity of it. (I just wish I still did not have to unplug wires to take off the doors )

The simplicity of it is what sealed the deal and it was the cheapest one around of course!

FF112A89-0AF4-4B89-ACD4-7BB76967311D.png
Why is there a plug for doors? Is there a light on it? Could you simply leave it undone?
Sponsored

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I went all in to get a base sport. I had 2 on lots that were essential spec for me. Manual, Hard top, tow bar and LSD. 35k.

But at the end, the Gator Sport I wanted was sold underme, and the white was ruined in transit.

I thought about getting more things but ultimately I wanted to spend a few grand getting a Sport lifted ip and personalized, i found a base spec rubicon. It had the hardtop I needed, tow package, and one “frivolous” option the passive entry.

So while it was 10k more on sticker, putting all my future mods (Regear, lockers, tires, shocks etc) plus getting all those “free” upgrades on a base rubicon (car play, power windows, heated glass, leather wheel, also those awesome seat backs and other things) into one payment, with a warranty, as well as the solid Rubicon resale, I think it makes a good case for itself.

The average sale price for a gladiator is $56k. So a base rubicon at $45k is well under the average and that $10k is a lot of wiggle room in the resale market as that means most glads are gonna be listed for more than you paid.

So I did get a base, but a different base :)

I absolutely love seeing base sport builds tho. While I am now appreciating the power windows for opening up the rear for the dog in back seat, theres a certain appeal to the return to simple. Its a very competent base spec. And I even love that while ifs manual locks and windows, it still has keyless start. I think its a cool setup of some new tech, but very focused and simple execution that feel fitting for a purity of jeep in 2020.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I went all in to get a base sport. I had 2 on lots that were essential spec for me. Manual, Hard top, tow bar and LSD. 35k.

But at the end, the Gator Sport I wanted was sold underme, and the white was ruined in transit.

I thought about getting more things but ultimately I wanted to spend a few grand getting a Sport lifted ip and personalized, i found a base spec rubicon. It had the hardtop I needed, tow package, and one “frivolous” option the passive entry.

So while it was 10k more on sticker, putting all my future mods (Regear, lockers, tires, shocks etc) plus getting all those “free” upgrades on a base rubicon (car play, power windows, heated glass, leather wheel, also those awesome seat backs and other things) into one payment, with a warranty, as well as the solid Rubicon resale, I think it makes a good case for itself.

The average sale price for a gladiator is $56k. So a base rubicon at $45k is well under the average and that $10k is a lot of wiggle room in the resale market as that means most glads are gonna be listed for more than you paid.

So I did get a base, but a different base :)

I absolutely love seeing base sport builds tho. While I am now appreciating the power windows for opening up the rear for the dog in back seat, theres a certain appeal to the return to simple. Its a very competent base spec. And I even love that while ifs manual locks and windows, it still has keyless start. I think its a cool setup of some new tech, but very focused and simple execution that feel fitting for a purity of jeep in 2020.
I priced a few Rubicons but none seemed to be right deal.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
This morning I put a deposit down on a 2021 base sport with max tow and a softtop. It's miles away and I'll be picking it up Wednesday. It was the best OTD price percentage wise I have gotten and all the other quotes were 2020s with 2K rebate(instead of 2021's $1K) or with the friends and family. Let the mods begin.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Probably will fall in line w the difference in their original pricing.
I think this too, anytime I see the discussion on resale values. Looking at the difference in TJ and JK models, the Rubi's are usually at about the same % higher than the same non-Rubi, as they were new.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
love stripped down mechanical simplicity

a base sport would be perfect with a manual transmission and keyed ignition, having push button start and having to have that giant fob just for that when it can't do a single other thing for you...is a no go for me

i got sport s manual and at least the brick locks and unlocks the doors but that's all it does extra for me

if you get auto transmission then you get auto-start perhaps, i don't miss auto-start at all

i do live in canada though so i ordered 3 options on my sport s, cold weather package, hard top, tow package...i'm a dad and use it as my minivan and adventure hunting machine also so the power locks is handy, the cold weather group and hardtop are no brainers up here, we rarely have soft top weather lol

hope that helps, i'd go sport s if i were you regardless, especially if you're going max tow with the auto, grab a couple extra options and you're all set

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Yes, installed myself. Easy to do with simple tools and if you have normal mechanical ability. Just following the directions.
I put 1.5 Teraflex on mine too. Would have been easier on a lift but still doable with 4 jackstands.

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I got the most stripped down 2021 Sport I could find. Black steel wheels. Only option was the 8 speed. I'm coming from a 1986 CJ7 and a base Sport JKU, so I'm already used to the hassle of manually locking doors and rolling up my widows etc. Optioned out would be nice, sure, but it was also the difference between affording one or not for me. I put down $12.5k including my trade in, so I will very likely never owe more than it is worth. I will make it look exactly the way I want in due time, and that's the fun of owning Jeeps imo. All that really matters to me is that I have my dream truck sitting in my garage and I absolutely love it.

GaGladiator

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JK 4Door
I can tell you from experience... I bought a base sport and when I say base I mean BASE (except for the tow package and bed liner) I had to order mine and wait the 8 weeks because there was NO dealer around who had one on their lot with manual crank windows and a manual transmission. I ended up building a Gladiator for almost as much as I bought my JK for in 2015. It was a great deal and I havent regreted it yet.. Now I have the gladiator I want with the upgrades I want (Not what comes with a certain trim that I would end up replacing with aftermarket parts later anyways.) Dont let the haters deter you. Go for it!

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I can tell you from experience... I bought a base sport and when I say base I mean BASE (except for the tow package and bed liner) I had to order mine and wait the 8 weeks because there was NO dealer around who had one on their lot with manual crank windows and a manual transmission. I ended up building a Gladiator for almost as much as I bought my JK for in 2015. It was a great deal and I havent regreted it yet.. Now I have the gladiator I want with the upgrades I want (Not what comes with a certain trim that I would end up replacing with aftermarket parts later anyways.) Dont let the haters deter you. Go for it!
Yeah my plan was get a manual, then the recall, and reading several threads about clutch problems swayed me to auto and max tow for the 4.10s. I did put down $500 today to hold mine til I can pick it up on Wednesday.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Amen Brother.
Love my Base Jeep without all the fluff. Old school or at least as close as we can get with a new rig. As I said several times I wouldnt order my Jeep any different if I had to do it all over again.
Sponsored