Sponsored

Add passive entry handles to the rear doors?

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
My understanding is the drivers door default of only unlocking initially the drivers door is a personal security feature. Basic premise is the alone person needing to get in their vehicle quick to get away from some perceived personal threat from others and not having the other doors available for entry.
In the settings I believe you can change this function. I would like the passive entry also as I mainly run no front doors and keep the back doors on (for the dog, and added security that if someone wants something from the back, they've gotta crawl through.)

It would be nice to not have to grab the fob everytime I want to unlock the rear door.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Based on these facts, I'm going to go with the rear doors not being able to be retrofitted:
  1. The rear door harnesses do not contain the same wiring or connectors of the front doors.
  2. No parts or kit exists for rear doors, only for front (likely due to point #1).
  3. No Wrangler or Gladiator has (to date) come with rear passive entry.
I think you just gotta live with it folks. I could see this being achievable if someone were to make new harnesses, but it would be far from simple, and would require running new wires from the front to the rear door outside the factory connector. You would essentially need to make the Jeep think the rear handles are the front handles. It may or may not work, with how computer systems, security antennas, and keyfob validation works these days. But at that point, it's not a retrofit anymore, it's a customization, and it's outside anything MOPAR could provide or cover.

Seems like a lot to me when you could just hit a button or grab the door handle right next to it....

Last edited:

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Retrofit? No.
Customization? Maybe.
I guess the first thing to try would be to have a person with the fob stand at the rear door while another person tries to open the front door with the existing passive locks. That should show if the existing antennas/sensors etc will pick up the fob from there. If that's a no-go, you are probably dead in the water.

Step 2 would be to see if the front handles actually do fit and open the rear doors. If not, you're probably dead in the water.

If you made it this far, you would have to track down the connectors to to make your own harness that parallels the front doors and front switches. After you do all that and install it, it may or may not work because of how sensitive the computer may or may not be to differing voltage, resistance, impedance, inductance, etc in the modified harness.

If someone is willing to spend the time and money to try it, it sure would be interesting and maybe even a side-gig selling the harnesses. While many here seem disinterested now, I bet if there was a plug-n-play solution that would change.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Retrofit? No.
Customization? Maybe.
I guess the first thing to try would be to have a person with the fob stand at the rear door while another person tries to open the front door with the existing passive locks. That should show if the existing antennas/sensors etc will pick up the fob from there. If that's a no-go, you are probably dead in the water.

Step 2 would be to see if the front handles actually do fit and open the rear doors. If not, you're probably dead in the water.

If you made it this far, you would have to track down the connectors to to make your own harness that parallels the front doors and front switches. After you do all that and install it, it may or may not work because of how sensitive the computer may or may not be to differing voltage, resistance, impedance, inductance, etc in the modified harness.

If someone is willing to spend the time and money to try it, it sure would be interesting and maybe even a side-gig selling the harnesses. While many here seem disinterested now, I bet if there was a plug-n-play solution that would change.
If someone could do all that, but somehow for the tailgate - I'd pay for it. ha

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Well, that would be even harder. You would be significantly further from the fob detector antennas, longer wires would compound all the issues above, and lastly there is no possible passive entry tailgate handle to use, so you would have to design and fab your own. But yea, I'd personally find that more useful than the back doors.

Sponsored

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I agree I can handle the rear doors not having it but the tailgate handle would help tremendously. I have countlessly found the tailgate locked off road when I have the doors off and have to dig to unlock the tailgate with the key fob.

That or change the programming to not auto lock the tailgate with the doors off.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Now wait a minute - you have the front doors off - but lock it?
Must be stupid thieves in your area LOL
I lock my jeep no matter how many doors i have on or off. Tailgate locks too

MilesAH

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘05 TJ. ‘07 JKU. ‘09 JKUR. Now a ‘21 JTRD
Occupation
HVACR Service
I wish it was on the tailgate. Doors off key in my pocket and I find the tailgate locked because it locked when I got up that magic speed.
Sponsored