First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What about a tilt switch inside the tailgate? That way there is no chance of mechanical failure with dirt in the plunger, or having to position it properly. Perhaps get power from the trailer plug (if equipped) through a tilt switch, then you only have to run one wire up front for an LED that can be grounded locally.
Good idea.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Three main components:

1) A wiring harness adapter to tap off the 12V DC plug in the dash. I originally bought it for $20 on Amazon to provide power to my GMRS radio.

2) A door pin switch. 4 for under $10 on Amazon.

3) A 12V 5mm LED. Had one laying around from another project. May switch out for a flashing LED.

You will also need about 25 feet of 16 gauge wire to run power from under dash to the driver’s side taillight. I ran two wires through the firewall and along the frame rail. Threaded the wires through 1/4”flexible plastic conduit and secured it to the frame or to existing wiring with Zip Ties.

Hardest part was figuring out how to mount the switch. Settled on cutting a block of hardwood 1 1/4” x 2” x 3/4” screwed to the bed as shown in the picture. May eventually mill or 3D print a replacement out of plastic.

Hope this helps.
Thx.