First Name
Quark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Occupation
Reading posts
If you live in a cold climate sometimes the tailgate freezes closed. You try to open it but can’t. (documented elsewhere on these forums). Then if things warm up and you haven’t successfully re-latched it — voila! -- it opens while you are driving. Has happened twice to me now but luckily nothing was in the bed. I’m very careful when the freeze happens!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in a cold climate sometimes the tailgate freezes closed. You try to open it but can’t. (documented elsewhere on these forums). Then if things warm up and you haven’t successfully re-latched it — voila! -- it opens while you are driving. Has happened twice to me now but luckily nothing was in the bed. I’m very careful when the freeze happens!
Odd, I live in Iowa where you have freezing rain that turns to snow, or you wash the truck and then that night the temps drop 50 degrees, whatever - 2 JTs and have never had a frozen tailgate.
I've not had a frozen tailgate in any truck.
Not sure what could cause a JT tailgate to freeze shut - unless it's the tonneau cover freezing to the top of the tailgate but even at that- it's a non-thing.
If Iowa's weird winters and weather aren't a place for it to happen, not sure where is.
Besides, if you pull the handle and it doesn't open - be smart and press it closed until you hear it click again - like any door that doesn't want to open.

Deathstar

First Name
Quark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Occupation
Reading posts
Well — I’m not making it up. Yes it is a tonneau issue. No, the tailgate does not budge or click etc. Yes I’m ultra careful now as above. I’ve never been to Iowa so maybe it is different there.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well — I’m not making it up. Yes it is a tonneau issue. No, the tailgate does not budge or click etc. Yes I’m ultra careful now as above. I’ve never been to Iowa so maybe it is different there.
Iowa is the only state with severe weather. All things are more difficult in Iowa, and all of us should try to remember that. :)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Iowa is the only state with severe weather. All things are more difficult in Iowa, and all of us should try to remember that. :)
Funny. Everybody thinks their locale has supper duper special weather only seen there.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Funny. Everybody thinks their locale has supper duper special weather only seen there.
Exactly. But Iowa is different. It truly is the apocalypse of all things weather. We should all realize that anything we go through, pales in comparison.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Exactly. But Iowa is different. It truly is the apocalypse of all things weather. We should all realize that anything we go through, pales in comparison.
Grab a beer, some blowhard from Texas will be along to correct you.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

MilesAH

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘05 TJ. ‘07 JKU. ‘09 JKUR. Now a ‘21 JTRD
Occupation
HVACR Service
Is there such a thing? Or has anyone added one? Last week I drove 200 miles from Key Largo to Ft. Lauderdale with the tailgate down. Fortunately, nothing flew out during the drive north.
I just check my rear view camera.

OP
OP
Jimbos

Jimbos

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did it again, drove off with tailgate open, so decided to add a warning light. Bought some led bulbs and a switch. Mounted the led on the taillight housing and the switch so it energizes the circuit when the tailgate is open. Led is bright enough to see day or night, and is clearly visible from the side mirror.
Jeep Gladiator Adding tailgate open warning light? IMG_2612
Jeep Gladiator Adding tailgate open warning light? IMG_2613

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I did it again, drove off with tailgate open, so decided to add a warning light. Bought some led bulbs and a switch. Mounted the led on the taillight housing and the switch so it energizes the circuit when the tailgate is open. Led is bright enough to see day or night, and is clearly visible from the side mirror.
That's a pretty slick solution, nice work on that.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work. Mind sharing a parts list?

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What about a tilt switch inside the tailgate? That way there is no chance of mechanical failure with dirt in the plunger, or having to position it properly. Perhaps get power from the trailer plug (if equipped) through a tilt switch, then you only have to run one wire up front for an LED that can be grounded locally.

OP
OP
Jimbos

Jimbos

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nice work. Mind sharing a parts list?
Three main components:

1) A wiring harness adapter to tap off the 12V DC plug in the dash. I originally bought it for $20 on Amazon to provide power to my GMRS radio.

2) A door pin switch. 4 for under $10 on Amazon.

3) A 12V 5mm LED. Had one laying around from another project. May switch out for a flashing LED.

You will also need about 25 feet of 16 gauge wire to run power from under dash to the driver’s side taillight. I ran two wires through the firewall and along the frame rail. Threaded the wires through 1/4”flexible plastic conduit and secured it to the frame or to existing wiring with Zip Ties.

Hardest part was figuring out how to mount the switch. Settled on cutting a block of hardwood 1 1/4” x 2” x 3/4” screwed to the bed as shown in the picture. May eventually mill or 3D print a replacement out of plastic.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored