Sponsored

Additional costs for more fun in a Jeep

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
For the newbies buying Jeeps, here are some additional costs you may not realize when seeing others with modded Jeeps.

The following were on the low end of costs of the most common mods/accessories and prices I have come across or have been reported

Mopar Steel Bumper and Skid plate - $1400
Winch and Winch Plate (using Rugged Ridge $200 plate and SB X20 Comp as examples) - $800
35" tires (using stock wheels to save money, average $300/tire plus $100 install) - $1600
Add $2500 for 37" tires (usually a $300/5 difference between 35s and about $2200 for re-gear parts + labor)
Lift (Metalcloak 3.5", they were the only ones to put to writing that the lift wouldn't affect the JT's payload of 1600lbs) - $2600
Lockers - $2000

So you have over $10k to get your Jeep "like everyone else" has, $8k if you got the Rubicon (which when I was shopping around was $10k more than the Sport Max Tow models, but that was back in October). I've gone down that list and just did the 35s (add $500 for rubicon take off fender flares and necessary parts/install costs to make them work - did not need them, they just help enough to have justified the cost, $800 new fender flares would not be worth it). The prices above are not what I paid as I bought used, at sales, promotions, etc. But there will be no getting around the lift. I don't foresee ever needing lockers (thankfully)
Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Don't forget recovery gear: Straps, shackles, tree saver, snatch block, etc.
Tire guage, and a way to deflate your tires. I like the Currie Ez-defator. Plus a way to air them back up.
If you're replacing a Jeep with a Gladiator, you should already have all that stuff!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tire guage, and a way to deflate your tires. I like the Currie Ez-defator. Plus a way to air them back up.
If your replacing a Jeep with a Gladiator, you should already have all that stuff!
This list is for newbies, as the intro states.

What I listed was just the cost to get your JEEP to the same as the other off roaders and mall crawlers. Recovery gear is separate. But to add to it:

SB air compressor (5.65, I used one to air up 3 sets of 35" tires and a set of 37s, without cooldown time between) - $150
Shackles - set of 2 steel - $50
Soft shackle (SB) - $30
Snatch Block - $20
No need for gauge, your JT has a TPMS system and the compressor has one.
Tire deflators - $20
Snatch strap - $50
Jumper cables - $100
Tools (most of the ones I listed here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ding-equipment-gear-list.52752/post-1150325)- $200
Bottle jack - $50
Chaulks - $15
Flashlights - $50

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I haven't even bought a Gladiator yet and I'm already budgeting for over $15k in mods/accessories. And that's without deciding on a front bumper :CWL: .

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't even bought a Gladiator yet and I'm already budgeting for over $15k in mods/accessories. And that's without deciding on a front bumper :CWL: .
No Hellcate engine (with accompanying transmission) and Dana 60/80 axles? Not budgeting $50k? Weak! :LOL: (said as a joke in case it doesn't come across in text)

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
No Hellcate engine (with accompanying transmission) and Dana 60/80 axles? Not budgeting $50k? Weak! :LOL: (said as a joke in case it doesn't come across in text)
Not unless I win the lottery or some rich relative I don't know dies and leaves me a boat load of cash! :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
For the newbies buying Jeeps, here are some additional costs you may not realize when seeing others with modded Jeeps.

<snip>

So you have over $10k to get your Jeep "like everyone else" has . . .
No thanks. For my needs, it'll be fine as it comes from the factory.
Tire guage, and a way to deflate your tires. . . Plus a way to air them back up.
I have put about $3500 into Sunrider, headliner, bed cover, and recovery gear. Good enough for me.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks. For my needs, it'll be fine as it comes from the factory.

I have put about $3500 into Sunrider, headliner, bed cover, and recovery gear. Good enough for me.
Well I didnt say you HAD to get these to wheel, those are just the items and costs for what “everyone else” has that I see wheeling or on the mall curb. I went 15k miles without a winch or 35” tires, including lots of wheeling.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I wouldn't trust the TPMS for giving you an accurate pressure reading.

TPMS on my Rubi reads 4-5 psi higher than 2 separate quality tire pressure gauges. Both analog pressure gauges match in reading.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TPMS on my Rubi reads 4-5 psi higher than 2 separate quality tire pressure gauges. Both analog pressure gauges match in reading.
Thank you for letting me know that!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

my TPMS read 3-4psi lower than my Slime RV/truck gauge with the hose

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
It adds up. This is my first Jeep and I'm about 15k in mods and I haven't even lifted or done wheels/tires :whew:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Some other things need to be added to the list... communication devices ie; cb/ham/grms/frs. Also trail books or apps. And don’t forget all these things ie; molle panels, bags, storage cubbies, mounts, trail rails (if you didn’t get oem ), Rock rails/steps, underside skids including control arm and shock skids, differential skids and heavy duty covers, grab handles, heavy duty floor mats... the list goes on & on.
Sponsored