Advice on Swapping the Uconnect 5" for the Uconnect 7"

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Looking for some guidance from the group. Considering swapping out my base 5" Uconnect radio for a 7" Uconnect radio. I did a similar swap on an older Jeep Grand Cherokee (RA2 to RA4) so I think this should really just be plug and play once I find a radio and the proper radio bezel. Looking to pickup Carplay in the process.

The first challenge is finding a radio as obviously very few JT's have hit the junk yards although you can find Uconnect 7" screens from other vehicles. I think it would be best to take a radio from a Wrangler JL, it should have identical mounting brackets. I found a seller on ebay offering units from a Durango... they are so cheap I am thinking about trying to find a way to make it mount.

s-l1600.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Looking for some guidance from the group. Considering swapping out my base 5" Uconnect radio for a 7" Uconnect radio. I did a similar swap on an older Jeep Grand Cherokee (RA2 to RA4) so I think this should really just be plug and play once I find a radio and the proper radio bezel. Looking to pickup Carplay in the process.

The first challenge is finding a radio as obviously very few JT's have hit the junk yards although you can find Uconnect 7" screens from other vehicles. I think it would be best to take a radio from a Wrangler JL, it should have identical mounting brackets. I found a seller on ebay offering units from a Durango... they are so cheap I am thinking about trying to find a way to make it mount.

s-l1600.jpg
Swapping them in is the easy part. However they are programmed differently for vehicle lines, and I haven't seen an easy diy programming method just yet. Infotainment.com will sell you the new unit, shroud, programmed to your VIN for about a grand.

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I found the JL forum last night and have been reading up on all the posts. It sounds like some members had problems getting the backup camera to work on certain radios. Makes me hesitate to try and get the Dodge unit on ebay to work. Looks like I can find a used 7" from a JL around $350 or a new one for around $500. The Dodge radio from ebay is $130. Not sure it's worth it.

JimThe4th

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just did my swap. bought the 7" off the JL forum for $400. it works
upload_2020-4-13_13-7-29.png
great. It also came with this. Anybody know what its for?
Sponsored