Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I bought my pritchett canyon bumper for $380. And I love it. For the price of this, I could buy my bumper and two lockers. Outrageous price.
You're comparing apples and oranges though. $380 is an extreme example. I think their target is someone who would normally prefer a bumper like the mopar steel -- which, makes their price even more confusing LOL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason the JT needed more airflow is because it has twice the rating of the JLU with otherwise similar equipment and Davis Dam is an 11 mile, 5% average grade that hits 12% in places... it's literally designed by SAE as a torture test to determine the absolute extreme of what the vehicle is capable of.

If this bumper and lighting is the difference between whether or not you have issues towing, you either live in satan's asshole (in which case hello, neighbor) or you need more truck.
You aren't considering age of the systems. As a restorer of classic cars, a collector, and long-time mechanic, I can tell you - it cools fine NOW - but give it 5 years and the capability to remove BTUs drops. Not drastically, but it absolutely drops. They are testing clean, new systems.
"Over heating" is a very common complaint once a typical vehicle - truck or otherwise - gets some age to it. These will be no exception.
Get a few bugs, some oxidation on the outside, some deposits on the inside and you'll lose some of that cooling capacity. Yes, modern cooling systems sealed as they are don't present the same issues they did when air was introduced - even in the so-called 'sealed systems' with "Coolant recovery" but still........ it's going to happen to some degree.
Granted, auto makers build extra into the equation - but these just made the grade as it was. Give 'em a few years and you'll be glad you have that airflow.
I read the article on how the engineers struggled to get the cooling capacity needed - I bet they'd cringe seeing this thing.

It would be fun to have one of those and measure the air flow through the system to see the actual impact. I'd love to see the measured difference.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I think I'll stick with my Maximus-3 equipped steel OEM bumper for 1/3-1/2 of the price...

Jeep Gladiator AEV Front Bumper Released For JT Gladiator! IMG_4956
That looks nice and seems to follow the stock lines nicely.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'll stick with my Maximus-3 equipped steel OEM bumper for 1/3-1/2 of the price...

Jeep Gladiator AEV Front Bumper Released For JT Gladiator! 20BC073C-2988-4FE4-B3BC-3F5ABEE779CE
And frankly, this AEV bumper soooo resembles the stock steel bumper.....
Do you suppose the aev was actually crash tested, thus the expense?? You know others were made for looks, that Sherman tank look, armor plating -and not tested. Looks are everything. Maybe they went the extra mile on this, thus the price?

Otherwise, at a price that's higher than the MOPAR bumper, wow, really, more than Mopar?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a straight up, unabashed AEV fanboy, but their pricing on this bumper is crazy. I remember my JKU one costing $1400 which wasn’t awful, and worth the premium for the design. Not to mention the fact that they showed this 2 years ago, and are just now getting around to a lottery system for the right to buy it. Despite releasing other products during the interim. Like I said, I love them, but they really screwed the pooch on these bumpers.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OK, where does the front camera have to be "relocated" too. This sounds like it's too expensive to boot.
They had 2 years and came up with this penis attachment for the camera lol

Jeep Gladiator AEV Front Bumper Released For JT Gladiator! BB1934D4-6754-40D0-A476-CC7EEC3AFB37

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You aren't considering age of the systems. As a restorer of classic cars, a collector, and long-time mechanic, I can tell you - it cools fine NOW - but give it 5 years and the capability to remove BTUs drops. Not drastically, but it absolutely drops. They are testing clean, new systems.
"Over heating" is a very common complaint once a typical vehicle - truck or otherwise - gets some age to it. These will be no exception.
Get a few bugs, some oxidation on the outside, some deposits on the inside and you'll lose some of that cooling capacity. Yes, modern cooling systems sealed as they are don't present the same issues they did when air was introduced - even in the so-called 'sealed systems' with "Coolant recovery" but still........ it's going to happen to some degree.
Granted, auto makers build extra into the equation - but these just made the grade as it was. Give 'em a few years and you'll be glad you have that airflow.
I read the article on how the engineers struggled to get the cooling capacity needed - I bet they'd cringe seeing this thing.

It would be fun to have one of those and measure the air flow through the system to see the actual impact. I'd love to see the measured difference.
My point is really that the bumper alone isn't going to cause overheating that wasn't going to be a problem anyway. Everything will degrade over time and the reduction in cooling capacity is only exacerbated by the similar reduction in power over time that requires more right foot. As I said before though, if you're towing so heavy and so often that a bumper causes that much of an issue, you probably don't have enough truck under you.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I’m a straight up, unabashed AEV fanboy, but their pricing on this bumper is crazy. I remember my JKU one costing $1400 which wasn’t awful, and worth the premium for the design. Not to mention the fact that they showed this 2 years ago, and are just now getting around to a lottery system for the right to buy it. Despite releasing other products during the interim. Like I said, I love them, but they really screwed the pooch on these bumpers.
I for steel, ARB is about as expensive as you can get off the shelf and it's $1200... I think maybe $1500 could be justified but this is just ridiculous.

And fun realization... this is the mid-width. They also have a full-width coming which will cost even more.

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
There have been a number of problems with stress cracking of the Boron steel skidplates that they built for the ZR2 Bison. Wonder if that's why they have had so much trouble getting these out.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
There have been a number of problems with stress cracking of the Boron steel skidplates that they built for the ZR2 Bison. Wonder if that's why they have had so much trouble getting these out.
I'm not sure what the motivation is there... maybe harder steel allows them to go thinner? Thing is then you're losing strength and gaining brittleness - neither of which are desirable in steel armor that will actually be used.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Usual AEV bullshit.... overpriced and only purchased by fanboys ... dont think ive ever seen someone on hard trails with anything aev.
I've seen plenty, and the perform very well. Not to mention the 2" AEV simple spacer lift on my JK that I've beaten up on for about 11 or so years and about 120k miles, with no issues. And I'm no fanboy. That and the ProCal in my JK are the only AEV products I own.

Their pricing is excessive (not on my JK lift, though. It was just over $200) but they do make good products and they stand behind them. I've known several folks who broke AEV wheels and they sent them new ones, even though they broke after rough trail use. I'm not saying they should have broken, but rather that they had no obligation to replace them, but they did.

I like the looks of this bumper but the price is ridiculous and the air flow interruption is concerning. So I'll pass.
Sponsored