Sponsored

Aftermarket SKID PLATE options

chuckfinley79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JT
I have the Quadratec aluminum front sway bar skid plate. I’ve only had it out a couple times but it’s held up to rocks and stumps so far. It’s pretty thick, probably more than 1/4” and probably weighs about 15-20 lbs. the only downside is the lip in the back curves up so there’s about a cubic foot of mud that’s not trapped in it. They have a whole set of skid plates for the wrangler, some of the rear ones obviously won’t fit the JT but I might try the oil pan and transmission ones. Also just looked at the instructions and it appears to be made for quadratec by Rival.
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
After wheeling my JT exactly 1 time I am buying one of these.. Just a question as to which one.

I am leaning towards the Rockhard Aluminum one. Its 80lbs lighter then the steel one, 64lbs heavier then the artec with what looks to be better coverage & a price pretty close to splitting the difference as well. Those heavy solid cross-members is what is selling me on the rockhard ones. My stock ones took a beating the first time out.

I am also interested in the Rubicon Express ones, but can find very little info. The cost through puts them well under everyone else with the closest being the 1300 for the metalcloak

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options IMG_0586

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didnt see it mentioned, but Motobuilt also makes a full skid plate system.

https://motobilt.com/collections/skid-plates-cross-members/products/jeep-jt-gladiator-skid-system

Price is good, but looks to be unfinished. I like this overall design the best of any of them that I have seen. Its on the heavy side. But given the price & the protection I think this may be the winner for me if nothing else I like better pops up in the next couple days. Figure its on the bottom & going to be abused so a rattle can rustoleum paint job as rust prevention would be good enough.

Edit: said screw it & ordered the motobuilt. Now sometime by July 13th I should have it.

Last edited:

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've been checking all of these out and weighing the options. I'm pretty much leaning towards the the Rockhard aluminum full belly. I like that it leaves the factory Rubicon gas skid in place for added protection. The Motobilt has a little bit more coverage guarding the muffler but lacks the solid steel crossmembers. The install looks pretty easy for the RH too.

I did some moderate wheeling a couple of weeks ago crawling over some rocks and checking later to see where I hit. I saw I hit and dented in the exhaust ( not too bad but I definitely don't want any more than that and hit the bottom of the tranny.

The Ruby rock rails are much more stronger than I thought and was impressed with them. Control arm skids are a must also and probably front and rear diff. sliders.

Sponsored

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
I chose Metalcloak full under armor. Go with steel. Aluminum is lighter, but will not take the abuse steel will. Metalcloak was only $1,300 to my door with military discount. I've seen Aluminum with huge gashes where still would have a scratch. And don't be sold on cross members. Our Gladiators do not need upgraded cross members, they are plenty strong enough from the factory. Definitely full under belly. Steel not Aluminum.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I'm starting to look at the ASFIR products. Made in and shipped from Israel.

Huge thread on the JL forum on aftermarket skid plates, 95% of the discussion is on the ASFIR product and it seems pretty solid, no complaints. Lots of photos. Here's one powder coated red:

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options 1593282769463

1/4" 5052 aluminum and inexpensive. Weight on the JL engine & gear skid plate is 26.4 lbs and the transfer case skid plate is only 5.3 lbs (same part for JL/JT)

Engine & Gear - $243 shipped
Transfer Case - $126 shipped
Fuel Tank - $400 shipped

Although I'm not sure we need anything for the fuel tank as the stock one has good coverage already IMO.

So, not counting the fuel tank plate, it's a whopping 31.7 lbs to add decent protection, all for $369.

They just uploaded d bunch of install videos (for the JL) on their YouTube channel.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And today the FedEx Fairy stopped by to drop off a magical new heavy ass gift for me.

Not to decide if I am going to rattle can or have them powdercoated. Inclined to have them powdercoated just for the better corrosion resistance. But also nobody will see it & its going to be scratched to hell no matter what I do.

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options IMG_0625

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options IMG_0626

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
And today the FedEx Fairy stopped by to drop off a magical new heavy ass gift for me.

Not to decide if I am going to rattle can or have them powdercoated. Inclined to have them powdercoated just for the better corrosion resistance. But also nobody will see it & its going to be scratched to hell no matter what I do.

Are these the Motobilt skid plates? I'm anxious to see how the install goes. I have never painted or powdercoated any of my skid plates as they are used regularly (lots of rock in the Southwest).

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are these the Motobilt skid plates? I'm anxious to see how the install goes. I have never painted or powdercoated any of my skid plates as they are used regularly (lots of rock in the Southwest).
Yeah they are. Im in the northwest & the roads do sometimes get salted (though nothing like in the North East). I have a place that was recomended to me for powdercoating that I am going to call on monday & if I dont get a number im good with I will probably just rattle can them & be done with it. Everything on first impression is quite beefy. I laid the center section down on my garage floor creating an arch & walked on it with no flex. Kinda surprised my 260 lbs didnt get any movement at all on it. They should do the job well

j2paulino

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
PTA
After wheeling my JT exactly 1 time I am buying one of these.. Just a question as to which one.

I am leaning towards the Rockhard Aluminum one. Its 80lbs lighter then the steel one, 64lbs heavier then the artec with what looks to be better coverage & a price pretty close to splitting the difference as well. Those heavy solid cross-members is what is selling me on the rockhard ones. My stock ones took a beating the first time out.

I am also interested in the Rubicon Express ones, but can find very little info. The cost through puts them well under everyone else with the closest being the 1300 for the metalcloak

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options 752CE672-2493-4A12-A63F-A42660372A35
I just had the Rubi Express skids delivered. Instructions suck. Hard to see anything in pics. Wish they had a parts list with part numbers. Hope to get them on soon. What sold me was the price. Under a grand delivered for all 4 skids.

F9992D06-FAEF-4B6E-A6E5-6DA12DF26D64.jpeg

9D7EA7A6-8EA6-406A-BBCA-0E7884F13769.jpeg

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Ninja
I have the Quadratec aluminum front sway bar skid plate. I’ve only had it out a couple times but it’s held up to rocks and stumps so far. It’s pretty thick, probably more than 1/4” and probably weighs about 15-20 lbs. the only downside is the lip in the back curves up so there’s about a cubic foot of mud that’s not trapped in it. They have a whole set of skid plates for the wrangler, some of the rear ones obviously won’t fit the JT but I might try the oil pan and transmission ones. Also just looked at the instructions and it appears to be made for quadratec by Rival.
Does the front way bar skid plate supplement, or replace a front bumper skid plate?

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Ninja