Aftermarket Tonneau Covers?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I just got my Rugged Ridge Armis hard folding cover with Line-X from Amazon. It looks awesome. I love the Line-X matte look with the spray in bed liner. Unfortunately, one of the rails was bent on the end. Just bad packaging. They use a high end cardboard box that has plenty of bubble wrap, but, there should be some foam at the end of the rails, because when they stand the box up, the rails can hit the bottom of the box and bend. The Box says "made in USA" with a big USA flag printed on it, pretty cool. I really love the cover, so, I did an Amazon replacement return and hope to get one without a bent rail pretty fast. I do not want to diss Rugged Ridge, packaging errors are nothing compared to engineering errors. This will be easy for them to address quickly in their packaging.
I received my replacement Rugged Ridge hard folding cover with Line-X from Amazon. This one was perfect and well packed. Engineering and fitment of the cover was perfect. It feels like the cover was specially designed for the Gladiator. Rail installation and cover gaps are perfect. The front and back seals also lay down perfect. The Line-X finish is fabulous, matches the Gladiator bed lining perfect and seems bullet proof. I am very pleased. Bottom-line, the Line-X really sets this cover apart, it looks like the black sand beach. Here is a pic from last night.

InJbNs.jpg
Sponsored

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
Here is a video of the the jcr rack and lite rider tonneau cover.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Since when did anything having to do with a Jeep turn into anything resembling "it's foolish to do anything other than buy it off the shelf and use as-is, or else not do it at all - manufacturers' products can never be improved and need not be modified?"
I feel like i'm constantly modifying, improving someone elses designs......I've come to accept its just part of life for me.

Glad somebody else out there does the same @kd1yt

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Could the lower block be upside down? Looks like it could be flipped to provide a better overlap.
BRILLIANT!

i just sent that photo to diamondback to find out once in FOR ALL!!! :idea:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received my replacement Rugged Ridge hard folding cover with Line-X from Amazon. This one was perfect and well packed. Engineering and fitment of the cover was perfect. It feels like the cover was specially designed for the Gladiator. Rail installation and cover gaps are perfect. The front and back seals also lay down perfect. The Line-X finish is fabulous, matches the Gladiator bed lining perfect and seems bullet proof. I am very pleased. Bottom-line, the Line-X really sets this cover apart, it looks like the black sand beach. Here is a pic from last night.

InJbNs.jpg
Looks awesome!

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRILLIANT!

i just sent that photo to diamondback to find out once in FOR ALL!!! :idea:
This is their reply.......I feel like its missing something, like "Thank you for your interest in DB Covers, at DB covers we strive to answer all your questions, at DB covers we don't like our truck covers to have solid overlap on the mounts on Jeep Gladiators because we decided to use off the shelf parts we already had laying around. Don't worry you're the adventurous type. Won't it be an adventure when your DB cover flys off at 80mph on the highway?.........

I know a bit dramatic, but come on. These things are EXPENSIVE and look awesome. That mount is worse than my $147 maxmate mount.........Oh well :headbang:

"Hi Steffen,

This looks correct.

Thanks!

Mike Pelella

Customer Experience Manager
DiamondBack Truck Covers
O
: 814-273-8426 F: 866-311-3232
diamondbackcovers.com | facebook | flickr

"I saw a post on a forum, looks like on the gladiator there is very little overlap of these two mounting pieces……is the piece in the rail upside down?
upload_2020-1-6_11-3-16.png
""

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
This is their reply.......I feel like its missing something, like "Thank you for your interest in DB Covers, at DB covers we strive to answer all your questions, at DB covers we don't like our truck covers to have solid overlap on the mounts on Jeep Gladiators because we decided to use off the shelf parts we already had laying around. Don't worry you're the adventurous type. Won't it be an adventure when your DB cover flys off at 80mph on the highway?.........
""
Nothing sells these DBs like seeing how tough they are after that clamp lets go!

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

I know a bit dramatic, but come on. These things are EXPENSIVE and look awesome. That mount is worse than my $147 maxmate mount.........Oh well :headbang:

"Hi Steffen,

This looks correct.

Thanks!

Mike Pelella

Customer Experience Manager
DiamondBack Truck Covers
O
: 814-273-8426 F: 866-311-3232
diamondbackcovers.com | facebook | flickr

"I saw a post on a forum, looks like on the gladiator there is very little overlap of these two mounting pieces……is the piece in the rail upside down?
""

Interesting. I might go ahead and contact them then. I have a tiny amount of water getting in, I mean super tiny, but might point that out on a support claim as well.

Dcoins

First Name
Donald Coins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Still admiring your tonneau and have that one on my short list. I hope you will consider a follow up review with your impressions after you have had it a while.
I absolutely love this cover, number one in my opinion it’s the best looking one out there, and probably the lowest profile model as well. It’s rained at least three times and the inside of my truck bed has stayed completely dry. That includes a hour and a half drive in the rain on the freeway. It even seems to reduce noise as a added plus. You will not be disappointed if you buy this cover.

Last edited:

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Interesting. I might go ahead and contact them then. I have a tiny amount of water getting in, I mean super tiny, but might point that out on a support claim as well.
I want to be super clear, in my raising the point that the clamp's overlap of bearing surfaces isn't as beefy as I would like it to be, I was and am not trying in any way to trash the Diamondback company or their product. I intend to get one of their HD covers, and I'll come up with a solution to the clamps that fits my preferences. I just like extreme sturdiness and lots of margin for contingencies, but that's just me.
Sponsored