Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I have it mounted to the frame rail on the passenger side. I used existing holes so I didn’t have to drill. You can see it inter there but it doesn’t hang down below the frame rail. In heavy off roading it would be an early casualty.
Do you mind posting a few pics so I can orientate myself on where you put it? I bought the same controller but never wired it up. I wasn’t sure there was an area that it would get ruined eventually from the elements or knocked like you’re mentioning.
Sponsored

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
I'm about to pull the trigger on a lift and wanted to make sure my bags were good. I have the gladiator set but want to upgrade to the longer Ram bags (putting a mopar lift on). According to the website, the 60318 bags are the replacement bags for the ram hd kit (60818). So, I assume I can just order the bags themselves and don't need to order the whole ram kit. Amazon has the bags alone for 27.37 each. Anybody know for sure?

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
what's got me nervous is the bags in the pic look shorter with just a longer spacer. The ones with the whole kit look like i expected.

Ok, so I talked to Airlift. They say the ram bags are actually 4.5 diameter but they seem to work for everyone. The 60318 are the correct bags for the ram kit (60818). So if you just want to get replacement 12" bags, you can go with the 60318 and save a few bucks. The picture is not representative of the actual bags they said.

Last edited:

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
After reading through this, I didn't see many people mention what height lift the Ram bags would work for. I saw a couple of mentions of the Mopar lift, but has any installed on a Clayton or other manufacture's 3.5" lift?

And is there a way to spec the ram bags, but with gladiator hardware or am I just going to be left with an extra set of bags to sell?

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I spoke to them. My measurement was 5 inch wide by about 15 inch tall. Please double check my measurements. The tallest they had was 11 inch tall. These bags can not be used with spacers. So unfortunate there is not a solution unless my measurements are off

Sponsored

10ecHarry

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
Plumber
Wanted to share my experience installing a rear bag lift system for towing. Hope this helps others.

I have the 2" MOPAR lift on my Rubicon (new taller springs - not spacers as some other lifts)

I originally ordered the Air Lift Company kit specifically designed for the Gladiator. Kit #60830. After receiving it and reading other posts here it makes sense that the kit is designed for stock height JTs. No fault on Air Lift in my opinion - they don't know how much if any lift we may have on our JTs.

I then went through their site where you can design your own kit based off measurements of your current JT. I did just that and came up with the same measurements as some have posted here in other threads. I called support and was advised on Kit #60921 as it has the closest bags based on measurements. This kit has the tallest bags offered. Ordered the 2nd kit with intentions of selling the first Gladiator specific kit.

Wanted to show what you end up with so you can make your own decision on how you go. Below are pics of how both kits compare. Both kits have the SAME bags. In person you can read the full part number on the 2nd set of bags just can't make out in the pics. Also, as you can see, the Gladiator kit actually has a larger spacer than the universal kit contains. So in other words the Gladiator kit is the best you are gonna get for a lifted JT. I found myself with a decision to make so I measured how tall of a spacer I would need for the system to function properly. Turns out by using the spacers contained in both kits I was able to have almost a perfect fit. I installed the system (again by using a total of 3 spacers by combining both kits) and did a field test using a loaded trailer. It worked perfectly and I had no complaints.

I am now going to make my own spacer for the kit so that it is one piece versus the 3 I have now. Not sure if this is technically needed since the 3 I have stacked didn't move or cause any adverse conditions I could feel or see but I have the means to make the new spacer so I will.

Open to any questions / discussions anyone may have.

air1.jpg
air2.jpg
air3.jpg
air4.jpg
air5.jpg
air6.jpg
How are ye making the spacer ??? fixing to lift my JT and will need more spacers. I ordered bags 60818-HD but they still are not going to be tall enough... ??

10ecHarry

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
Plumber
Just installed these last night. They were originally spec'd for a 2011 Suburban so we'll see how they work. The bags themselves are the same specs as the Airlift Gladiator Kit but the spacer is only 1/2" tall (looks like the spacer in the OP's pic was about 1-1/2" or larger). Inflated to 5-6psi now and they're surprisingly tight to the inside of the springs. But, like TenesseePA said, they can still move up and down within the springs easily enough. If I had to guess, there's at least 4" or more between the top of the bag and the top of the spring. Going to load up a trailer this weekend and see if there's compression enough to even utilize these bags and may have to fabricate a bigger spacer. Will post pics of the JT pre-Airlift and post-Airlift.

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG
How the airbags work is not from the vertical up and down pressure. They work from the horizontal pressure pushing against the springs making the spring stiffer.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Wanted to share my experience installing a rear bag lift system for towing. Hope this helps others.

I have the 2" MOPAR lift on my Rubicon (new taller springs - not spacers as some other lifts)

I originally ordered the Air Lift Company kit specifically designed for the Gladiator. Kit #60830. After receiving it and reading other posts here it makes sense that the kit is designed for stock height JTs. No fault on Air Lift in my opinion - they don't know how much if any lift we may have on our JTs.

I then went through their site where you can design your own kit based off measurements of your current JT. I did just that and came up with the same measurements as some have posted here in other threads. I called support and was advised on Kit #60921 as it has the closest bags based on measurements. This kit has the tallest bags offered. Ordered the 2nd kit with intentions of selling the first Gladiator specific kit.

Wanted to show what you end up with so you can make your own decision on how you go. Below are pics of how both kits compare. Both kits have the SAME bags. In person you can read the full part number on the 2nd set of bags just can't make out in the pics. Also, as you can see, the Gladiator kit actually has a larger spacer than the universal kit contains. So in other words the Gladiator kit is the best you are gonna get for a lifted JT. I found myself with a decision to make so I measured how tall of a spacer I would need for the system to function properly. Turns out by using the spacers contained in both kits I was able to have almost a perfect fit. I installed the system (again by using a total of 3 spacers by combining both kits) and did a field test using a loaded trailer. It worked perfectly and I had no complaints.

I am now going to make my own spacer for the kit so that it is one piece versus the 3 I have now. Not sure if this is technically needed since the 3 I have stacked didn't move or cause any adverse conditions I could feel or see but I have the means to make the new spacer so I will.

air1.jpg
air2.jpg
air3.jpg
air4.jpg
air5.jpg
air6.jpg
Hey @AdamH - What did you ultimately do regarding replacing the three spacers with one spacer? How big was/is it? I want to add airbags to my Rubicon with 2" Mopar lift as well to deal with sag caused by an RTT and a car trailer. I've read this whole thread, and I didn't see the answer.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
How the airbags work is not from the vertical up and down pressure. They work from the horizontal pressure pushing against the springs making the spring stiffer.
I've read this a few other places too but if it's true then why does the manufacturer have different height bags? And why don't they put on their Gladiator air bag kit that it works with any size lift up to x.x inches and x inch spring internal diameter? It sure would save a lot of questions.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
when you guys installed yours did you remove the springs like it said to. I know I have seen a post or video where somebody just squeezed the airbag and fit it in.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
when you guys installed yours did you remove the springs like it said to. I know I have seen a post or video where somebody just squeezed the airbag and fit it in.
Nah, i just cursed a couple times and push the bags through the springs. Make sure you think about what your doing first so you do accidentally miss orient the nipple…theyre a PitA to get back out

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, i just cursed a couple times and push the bags through the springs. Make sure you think about what your doing first so you do accidentally miss orient the nipple…theyre a PitA to get back out
I was curious about that, as well. The install video shows the flatten and push through the springs method. The written instructions only cover the remove the springs method. I think the $99 price tag is quite reasonable, but the $679 for the air compressor kit is more than I'm willing to pay right now.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I was curious about that, as well. The install video shows the flatten and push through the springs method. The written instructions only cover the remove the springs method. I think the $99 price tag is quite reasonable, but the $679 for the air compressor kit is more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Yea same for me. I wasn’t paying $700 for the bags lol. They’re really pretty easy to put in yourself. Take your time
And thing about how you want to route your air lines .

if you want your welcome to pm me your cell and ill send you a video of how I routes mine. It would be too long to post here and too convoluted to type haha

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Same here I folded it and squeezed it through the springs. If you have a jack you can wheel under, jack up the frame some on the side you plan to put the bag in. It’ll make it easier to push the bag in with the spring not compressed as much.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)

air1.jpg
air2.jpg
air3.jpg
air4.jpg
air5.jpg
air6.jpg
It's been awhile since the OP started this thread so I thought I would add my experience. I did the same as him...ordered both the specific Gladiator kit and the 60921 just to see if they made any changes. The airbags are still the same in both kits. I called Air Lift (on hold for 45min!!!) to ask her what's more important...the width of the bags or the height? She said the width but if there's too much of a gap vertically then that reduces performance. I asked her how much of a lift can the Gladiator specific kit handle and she said 1.5in. She recommended the 60917 kit for my 2.5in lift but after I got off the phone I looked this kit up and the diameter of the airbag was only 4.5in and the length was only 10in. The 60921 kit claims their bags are 5in (yes) x 11in (nope...they're 10in). I ordered the 60917 kit anyway just to see how messed up all of this is and I'll be sending 2 of the kits back. Oh yeah, I asked her if I can just use multiple pucks and she said it depends on what I'm doing with the jeep. If I'm on roads towing then stacking pucks to make up the difference isn't a big deal. But if I'm going offroad then they have had reports of the pucks coming out while the airbags are aired down. Maybe a custom thickness puck is the way to go, like the OP said he was going to do. I'll report my findings in a day or two when the 3rd kit comes.
Sponsored