AirLift rear bag system - info you need to know

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I installed my Air Bags with the brass nozzle pointing down and ran the air lines through the hole in the spring perch. Then, using zip ties, I ran them along the axle tube and up over the spare tire. Just looped them through the spare a bit to keep them out of harms way. Not the most stylish but took a grand total of 2 min and they're easily accessible with a simple hand pump that you might use for inflating a basketball. The blue tape just identifies the passenger's side from the driver's side. As far a the the T fitting...I didn't install it so that I could maintain as much hose for each bag as possible in case I want to re-run them differently in the future.

Jeep Gladiator AirLift rear bag system - info you need to know IMG_7798.JPG

Jeep Gladiator AirLift rear bag system - info you need to know IMG_7797.JPG
Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Been running AirLift 1000 bags on my current and last Ram 1500. Without a doubt they are the best money I've ever spent on a product to assist with towing. I pull an 8300# camper and the bags really help with sag and bounce. When not towing I leave them at 5 PSI, and run them at 30 PSI under load. I can't tell they're there when unloaded.

Just a tip, but don't "T" the lines together. Run both bags independent. You don't want air being pushed from one bag to the other. That kind of defeats the purpose.
That's a good point. I was worried about this very thing and called them to find out about it. The guy laughed and said contrary to popular belief that is not true. Unless you are under a heavy and uneven load you will not see anything close to significant enough.

If you did run the lines, there is zero harm in doing it! I still considered it still myself afterwards but figured I will not be towing frequent enough to worry.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
That's a good point. I was worried about this very thing and called them to find out about it. The guy laughed and said contrary to popular belief that is not true. Unless you are under a heavy and uneven load you will not see anything close to significant enough.

If you did run the lines, there is zero harm in doing it! I still considered it still myself afterwards but figured I will not be towing frequent enough to worry.
The whole point of the bags is to be used with heavy loads. I don't air them up when towing my bass boat. No need. But the travel trailer, absolutely. I tee'd the lines on my 2013 Ram, and didn't on my 2017 Ram. I could feel a difference. It might not make as much a difference on a Gladiator since the loads won't be as high.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The whole point of the bags is to be used with heavy loads. I don't air them up when towing my bass boat. No need. But the travel trailer, absolutely. I tee'd the lines on my 2013 Ram, and didn't on my 2017 Ram. I could feel a difference. It might not make as much a difference on a Gladiator since the loads won't be as high.
How big is your travel trailer? What is the difference in the way it feels? I got my WDH well tuned, but wondering how much I would gain.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How big is your travel trailer? What is the difference in the way it feels? I got my WDH well tuned, but wondering how much I would gain.
Trailer is 27 feet long, 31' feet total towable length, roughly 8300# loaded.

The difference I felt was with sway and body roll. All things being equal both my 2013 and 2017 Ram 1500's are configured the same. The only exception was the air bags on the 2013 were tee'd together.

Even with WDH the rear of my truck still sags a bit. With the air bags it doesn't sag nearly as much, and the rear end bounce is pretty much gone. Feels a lot more planted and in control.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Trailer is 27 feet long, 31' feet total towable length, roughly 8300# loaded.

The difference I felt was with sway and body roll. All things being equal both my 2013 and 2017 Ram 1500's are configured the same. The only exception was the air bags on the 2013 were tee'd together.

Even with WDH the rear of my truck still sags a bit. With the air bags it doesn't sag nearly as much, and the rear end bounce is pretty much gone. Feels a lot more planted and in control.
Thats good to know it takes care of the bounce. I have felt that on mine before. pulling a 6200lbs one with my Jeep. Roughly the same dimmensions as yours.

I take it you are keeping the ram when you get the JT?

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats good to know it takes care of the bounce. I have felt that on mine before. pulling a 6200lbs one with my Jeep. Roughly the same dimmensions as yours.

I take it you are keeping the ram when you get the JT?
Yeah, actually upgrading the Ram to a 2500. JT is replacing the JKR as my wife's daily. I needed a second vehicle that can tow the bass boat, and the JKR needs some love. Win win. Wife gets to continue driving a soft top jeep, I get a second tow vehicle and this gives me an excuse to tear apart the JKR for a complete frame down suspension rebuild.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Yeah, actually upgrading the Ram to a 2500. JT is replacing the JKR as my wife's daily. I needed a second vehicle that can tow the bass boat, and the JKR needs some love. Win win. Wife gets to continue driving a soft top jeep, I get a second tow vehicle and this gives me an excuse to tear apart the JKR for a complete frame down suspension rebuild.
Nice. thats a total win there. That JKR is going to be awesome. It also never hurts to have to much truck thats for sure.

If me and the family really like the camper (realistically with the JT and that size I can't go beyond the carolinas) I might go fith wheel and dualy in the future when the JT is closer to being paid off.

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.

I ran Firestone helper bags in my Silverado for 15 years. Used the "T" method to simplify the whole deal. Never had any issues. Worked like a champ.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I finished my install late last night... and the left side air bag leaks. I'll try replacing the fittings, but what a pain in the ass! At least I know its on the left side...

I ended up putting the valves in the corners of the bumpers. Drilled the hole in the plastic. No turning back now!!!

Edit: not leaking anymore!

15991719581725283203157876179284.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Install question. The Airlift instruction say to remove the springs to install. I seem to recall seeing post where the bags were compressed and placed in the spring While fully attached to Jeep. What recommendations do people have on this?

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I dropped the axle and took the springs out to place the bags in them, then reinstalled.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can remove the spring that's going to be ideal.

I stuffed the bags in my 1500 springs while they were on the truck. Not exactly easy, and you need to be careful you don't damage the bag. Getting the bag flattened out and folded enough to jam between coils is a big PITA.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Your Gladiator kit will have the spacer that makes it a requirement to remove the springs.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Thoughts on using Airlift with dual wireless controllers for managing the varying weight between unladen everyday commute and heavily laden backcountry travel? Plus, thoughts on using the same dual control set to help in leveling at remote location? Overkill maybe, but would it work?
Sponsored