Alaska

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
An R-Pod is what we are going to get. Our JTR is a manual so we can only pull 4500lbs. That limits us to basically R-Pods which is fine with me I want a smaller trailer but the wife refuses to go overnight and not being able to shower so it fits the bill. I haven't camped in one only larger trailers but it's awesome that they pack in all the amenities they do in such a compact trailer. I can understand why they're so popular I see them everywhere. I assume the JT pulls it just fine?
Sponsored

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
My JTR is automatic but we did a 6 hr round trip to Oklahoma few weeks ago (that pic) and handled very well. I added a brake controller and felt confident and comfortable towing. Our teardrop is only 2000 lbs, maybe 2250 fully loaded up? (No water in tank, just supplies)

The plan is loose right now. We plan to sell our house and spend the summer driving up so not sure how long it will really end up being. 1-3 months total?

Id seen a bit about the spot you mention, seemed like a place i would want to go.

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
gorgeous photos, ill be stalking you guys posts

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
An R-Pod is what we are going to get. Our JTR is a manual so we can only pull 4500lbs. That limits us to basically R-Pods which is fine with me I want a smaller trailer but the wife refuses to go overnight and not being able to shower so it fits the bill. I haven't camped in one only larger trailers but it's awesome that they pack in all the amenities they do in such a compact trailer. I can understand why they're so popular I see them everywhere. I assume the JT pulls it just fine?
ABC RV rents out RPODs, so if you are still undecided on models definitely do that first. :). There is a little squat in the rear. I'm definitely be picking up a weight distribution hitch this spring, see how it behaves, and maybe get some airbags... more money to spend :facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Aurora @ Knik River Lodge, AK

A recent trip out to Knik Glacier, AK with a local Jeep'n Alaska group

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
A couple of vids of my trip to Knik Glacier with some folks from the Jeep'n Alaska Facebook group... Pretty amazing trip, but it was an all day event, with some wrong ways and people getting stuck.

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Two weekend camping trips to kick off the summer.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200509125736_IMG_1394

Weekend trip to Talkeetna. Stayed at Talkeetna RV Park and Boat Launch.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska IMG_1331

View from Hope, AK - Porcupine Campground

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Well we’ll find out later this week if/when the US/Canadian border will open up. If it opens soon we’ll be on our way up there ASAP! We are packed and ready to roll in 2 hours...

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Craigie Creek Trail Hatchers Pass AK. Just wide enough for a Jeep, some parts rocky, some water/creek/puddle crossings, and generally fun. I wish i had 35s in some spots though. I did hit the bottom in several spots, a lot of grimacing going on. 14 vehicles, mostly Jeeps headed out of Anchorage, met up at the local off-road store Trail Toyz in Wasilla, and then headed out to Hatchers Pass.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska line up off road
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Lunch Break 2
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Front view
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Looking down
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Heading back down
A short video of my gladiator climbing a hill

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Well we’ll find out later this week if/when the US/Canadian border will open up. If it opens soon we’ll be on our way up there ASAP! We are packed and ready to roll in 2 hours...

I hear you can drive through if you are going to Alaska and vice versa. Just be sure not to stop and site see in Canada. Did you start yet?

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I hear you can drive through if you are going to Alaska and vice versa. Just be sure not to stop and site see in Canada. Did you start yet?
I have been looking at driving but I know Canada extended the border closure to July 21. The information that I got says the only way they will let you cross is if you have a documented reason like work and you have to drive straight through. No stopping for sights and you have to stay in your car. You can get gas but you can't go in. Some of my wife's coworkers drove up for work and spent a good bit of time at the border negotiating to get through.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Yes we did!
I’m in Denali as I write this. I managed to pick up a short consulting gig just outside of Fairbanks and the employer wrote the authorization letter so going across the Canadian border wasn’t a big deal. I did get some questions when they saw my truck camper but I explained that I refused to fly and this was the next best option...
‘We hope to be here another month or so and plan on going up to Prudoe next week...

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
My wife got orders to Greenland for a year, but I should be getting some that’ll line up with her return- were trying for Europe, but I really want JBER as well. Anything to get overseas lol. Looks gorgeous

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Yes we did!
I’m in Denali as I write this. I managed to pick up a short consulting gig just outside of Fairbanks and the employer wrote the authorization letter so going across the Canadian border wasn’t a big deal. I did get some questions when they saw my truck camper but I explained that I refused to fly and this was the next best option...
‘We hope to be here another month or so and plan on going up to Prudoe next week...

Nice... hope you are enjoying the sites so far. Did you take the Denali Hwy yet through to Paxson? Be sure to make a trip down to Valdez or Seward. There's also the road to Kennicot Mine; I haven't done that completely yet, but it's on my list. I know there's a bunch more places to go see and do. this is just scratching the surface. Jeep'n Alaska is a local facebook group, so try and get signed up.
Sponsored

Last edited: