First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Occupation
Firefighter
If you enjoy those mpg numbers don't do anything to it. I never got that good of mpgs with eco Jl even before I lifted it and put big tires on it but it dropped like a rock once I did. 2" lift and 35s I was averaging 20-21 driving pretty conservatively. 60/40 hwy/city. I do miss the sound of it though. I probably would have kept it if diesel was more readily available where I live.
Sponsored

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a Banks iDash for my Diesel Gladiator last week. I love it. I can monitor the boost pressure, Regen status (Off, Passive or Active), DPF soot load %, and a ton of other stuff. Really worth it, especially because I do a lot of city driving.

Last edited:

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
I purchase a Banks iDash for my Diesel Gladiator last week. I love it. I can monitor the boost pressure, Regen status (Off, Passive or Active), DPF soot load %, and a ton of other stuff. Really worth it, especially because I do a lot of city driving.
Would be interesting in which model? How easy was the install? Where did you mount it? Thanks!

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Would be interesting in which model? How easy was the install? Where did you mount it? Thanks!
Sure! It is the Banks iDash Super gauge (https://www.bankspower.com/i-2591-b...one-for-all-2008-obdii-can-bus-vehicles.html#!) # SKU: 66560 Super easy install: plugs right in OBD II port under the steering wheel. I routed the cable up behind the dash to the lower left corner of the windshield where I will be mounting it. (I have it ziptied to the A pillar right now while the mount comes in) I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to monitor their emissions and other useful specs like oil temp, etc. I know it is more expensive than the Scangauge but it looks much better on the dash. You can even program the colors to match the jeep gauges.
Jeep Gladiator All Diesel Specific Talk/Topics 20201103_173947

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Sure! It is the Banks iDash Super gauge (https://www.bankspower.com/i-2591-b...one-for-all-2008-obdii-can-bus-vehicles.html#!) # SKU: 66560 Super easy install: plugs right in OBD II port under the steering wheel. I routed the cable up behind the dash to the lower left corner of the windshield where I will be mounting it. (I have it ziptied to the A pillar right now while the mount comes in) I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to monitor their emissions and other useful specs like oil temp, etc. I know it is more expensive than the Scangauge but it looks much better on the dash. You can even program the colors to match the jeep gauges.
Jeep Gladiator All Diesel Specific Talk/Topics 20201103_173947
Thank you very nice!

Sponsored

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
Can anyone here weigh in on exactly how/when the 3.0 regenerates?
Figured someone may have real-world experience by now.

I have read (on this forum) that many short drives in a row can cause issues with not allowing the truck to complete its regen cycle.
If I do mainly surface street driving all week, then maybe one "road trip" per month, will this cause the "soot issues" I have read about or problems with the regen getting interrupted?
I really don't want to have to go on a 45 minute freeway trip if I am pressed for time (work, kids, etc.) because the regen is in mid-cycle.

I owned one of the infamous VW 2.0 TDIs from a few years ago. Loved that car. Lived in Fort Lauderdale at the time and it saw 95% city driving. No issues.

Don't know much about the Gen 3 EcoDiesel and how it is all engineered to play out based on different driving styles/needs.

Thanks for any input!
Steve

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
Which mount did you end up ordering? I have the pedalmonster on my JT diesel but I held off on the gauge because I didn't find anything besides the window mount suction cup and they always fall off when I go offroad?

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).

I have read (on this forum) that many short drives in a row can cause issues with not allowing the truck to complete its regen cycle.
If I do mainly surface street driving all week, then maybe one "road trip" per month, will this cause the "soot issues" I have read about or problems with the regen getting interrupted?
I really don't want to have to go on a 45 minute freeway trip if I am pressed for time (work, kids, etc.) because the regen is in mid-cycle.

I owned one of the infamous VW 2.0 TDIs from a few years ago. Loved that car. Lived in Fort Lauderdale at the time and it saw 95% city driving. No issues.

Don't know much about the Gen 3 EcoDiesel and how it is all engineered to play out based on different driving styles/needs.

Thanks for any input!
Steve
I am no expert on this but I do have a very short commute to work each day. The diesel warms up very quickly once you start driving. Letting it idle from remote start does not seem to raise the water temperature much. I did a lot of reading on the ram ecodiesel forums and from that I plan to run the HotShots diesel extreme every 6000 miles. The reports I read have said it helps clean the soot out of the exhaust particulate filter more consistently and reduce the regen cycles. I do plan to add a Banks supergauge to monitor my EGR cycles for more information. I drive very short drives multiple times a day and take a 40+ mile drive each weekend. The diesel feels very refined in every aspect of the drive, but as far as long term short drives go, I only have 1000 miles on mine so too early to tell.
Jeep Gladiator All Diesel Specific Talk/Topics 1604528199331

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Thanks for any input!
Steve
I've got over 8,000 miles on mine. Been running a Scan Gauge since summer. Today I saw the Regen Status switch "on" for the first time. Soot load was 68%. Within a minute it was down into the 40s. Very odd. Mine seems to rarely do a regen and when it does the assumed 80% rule apparently doesn't apply.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Which mount did you end up ordering? I have the pedalmonster on my JT diesel but I held off on the gauge because I didn't find anything besides the window mount suction cup and they always fall off when I go offroad?
I bought a cheap metal one and was going to mount it but then decided not to drill into anything so I actually have the Banks mount with the suction cup. I couldn't find a JL or JT gauge pod anywhere online, otherwise I would have done that. We'll see how it holds up.

Sponsored

snoshoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
Great info jwalt and WXman, thanks.
Just as I thought, I am looking too deep into it...
I would most likely add a gauge, too, just to keep tabs (and my OCD in check).
I like the idea of that additive to help with the soot.

Cheers!

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for any input!
Steve
I have only had my truck for a week and have driven it about 650ish miles (city, backroad and highway) here is what I have learned about the regen.
- Nothing about regen status has ever been displayed on the Jeep gauge cluster, you need an aftermarket monitor to see all of the regen activity.
- From what I can tell on my Banks iDash, once the truck gets up to temp it is doing passive regens while you drive, even at lower speeds like 30 or 40mph. This seems to keep the soot load the same % or slowly drop the percent.
- Now, once you get the soot load in the filter up to 80% it will do an active regen while you drive. I had this happen to me on Thursday and it took only 8 minutes. I was driving on backroads at 45 - 50 mph and it brought the filter load down to 8%.
- As of tonight, I am currently up at 45%. If you are on the highway all the time or drive some decently fast backroads to work, the soot load will stay low because of the passive regens. However, if you are like me and do a lot of "city" driving at short distances, I would recommend an aftermarket gauge so you know when you need to allow the Jeep to do an active regen when you get close to 80%.
- Right now I think ill be doing an active regen every 2 weeks. I have a 1 mile commute to work so the truck could go days without getting up to temp. Hard to tell though, still trying to track patterns.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Great info jwalt and WXman, thanks.
Just as I thought, I am looking too deep into it...
I would most likely add a gauge, too, just to keep tabs (and my OCD in check).
I like the idea of that additive to help with the soot.

Cheers!
Yeah something else I have discovered because of the scan gauge is that the DPF temperature has to be 650° or more before the truck will do passive regen and clean itself. This only happens if you are driving on the interstate or towing. Around town or on regular highways soot load will keep rising.

lcoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel, 2007 JKUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I bought a cheap metal one and was going to mount it but then decided not to drill into anything so I actually have the Banks mount with the suction cup. I couldn't find a JL or JT gauge pod anywhere online, otherwise I would have done that. We'll see how it holds up.
There is someone in the Wrangler JL forum using three of these adhesive mount pods https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/universal-single-gauge-swivel-dashboard-pod/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/owners-manual-and-dpf.49163/post-1131203

Might be an option

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I have only had my truck for a week and have driven it about 650ish miles (city, backroad and highway) here is what I have learned about the regen.
- Nothing about regen status has ever been displayed on the Jeep gauge cluster, you need an aftermarket monitor to see all of the regen activity.
- From what I can tell on my Banks iDash, once the truck gets up to temp it is doing passive regens while you drive, even at lower speeds like 30 or 40mph. This seems to keep the soot load the same % or slowly drop the percent.
- Now, once you get the soot load in the filter up to 80% it will do an active regen while you drive. I had this happen to me on Thursday and it took only 8 minutes. I was driving on backroads at 45 - 50 mph and it brought the filter load down to 8%.
- As of tonight, I am currently up at 45%. If you are on the highway all the time or drive some decently fast backroads to work, the soot load will stay low because of the passive regens. However, if you are like me and do a lot of "city" driving at short distances, I would recommend an aftermarket gauge so you know when you need to allow the Jeep to do an active regen when you get close to 80%.
- Right now I think ill be doing an active regen every 2 weeks. I have a 1 mile commute to work so the truck could go days without getting up to temp. Hard to tell though, still trying to track patterns.
My 2016 Ram 3.0 behaved very well on the regen system. I could drive it on short runs around town for about 20 days and then get a pop-up telling me to drive at highway speed until full regen was complete. I could drive at 50 mph for 7 or 8 minutes, then reduce to 35 mpg for 5 minutes and regen was satisfied. Rinse and repeat every 20 days. I‘m not sure, but suspect the same or similar programming will be in the 2021 as well.
Sponsored