Let’s talk Ecodiesel

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I’m also worried whether the diesel will come to fruition, or not. Only time will tell, but as the FCA exec stated at the 2018 LA Auto show, the diesel will not arrive until CY2020. This timeframe extends out to possibly as late as Dec 31, 2020. Boys, that’s darn near 2 years from now, and a helluvalot can happen between now and then. Companies change horses midstream all the time, and will stop throwing good money after bad. So, I will believe it when I see it sitting in dealer show rooms. Until that time, IMHO it’s still a krapshoot. But, like many, many other Jeep buyers, I will gladly pay whatever price FCA demands for the diesel option.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We have a pretty good idea the the ecodiesel will be coming to the JT.....

So... where do we start with the upgrades? Any good aftermarket brands making anything for it?
I’m just seating here.... realizing that I’ve never owned a Diesel engine, I know that the economy and durability of them is where I need to be.... boy is an exiting time to start I guess.
Well, judging by the track record of the current EcoDiesel, it would be wise to NOT do any modifications to it whatsoever until warranty has expired. I still haven't seen any hard proof that FCA has addressed the cam key issues or other internals flaws that cause those engines to lock up and die.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Well, judging by the track record of the current EcoDiesel, it would be wise to NOT do any modifications to it whatsoever until warranty has expired. I still haven't seen any hard proof that FCA has addressed the cam key issues or other internals flaws that cause those engines to lock up and die.
Another good reason why EFW is an absolute necessity when buying one of these cars. I grind in maximum EFW, sales tax (10.2% in my state), delivery, licensing and the other misc BS fees, into the size of the check I will be writing.

I’m still estimating a 100% tricked out, fully loaded Jeep Gladiator diesel will require a check for $90k, not including the inevitable “market adjustment” second sticker, all told to drive her off the lot. If less, it will simply be icing on the cake. Mind you, this does not include all the necessary aftermarket goodies, like MOPAR 2 inch lift kit and MOPAR winch, not to mention 2 of the MOPAR 5 inch LED lites, and 2 of the 7 incher lites, plus a nice set of 5 of the 35 inch mudders, plus installs for all. I will easily be looking at $100k for my car.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Another good reason why EFW is an absolute necessity when buying one of these cars. I grind in maximum EFW, sales tax (10.2% in my state), delivery, licensing and the other misc BS fees, into the size of the check I will be writing.

I’m still estimating a 100% tricked out, fully loaded Jeep Gladiator diesel will require a check for $90k, not including the inevitable “market adjustment” second sticker, all told to drive her off the lot. If less, it will simply be icing on the cake. Mind you, this does not include all the necessary aftermarket goodies, like MOPAR 2 inch lift kit and MOPAR winch, not to mention 2 of the MOPAR 5 inch LED lites, and 2 of the 7 incher lites, plus a nice set of 5 of the 35 inch mudders, plus installs for all. I will easily be looking at $100k for my car.
That would be a good way for FCA to commit brand suicide. 90-100k would make a diesel Gladiator one of if not the most expensive vehicle FCA produces. Now, I can see a ~90k price tag for a completely Moparized Hellcat Gladiator, but there is no way they will charge a 30-40k premium for a mediocre 3L diesel unless they only want to sell the Gladiator diesel for one model year.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Well, the MY2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel pricing is pure speculation right now, and will remain so for a long, long while. We’ll know when we know. Until then, truth be told, we all must admit it’s a ton of fun speculating about it.

I imagine FCA is happy as a clam right now. The longer they hold-off on revealing Gladiator pricing, the more hype and market demand they create for their car in the interim. I, for one, am happy to pay whatever the hell FCA demands for the coveted diesel Gladiator Rubicon, albeit my price ceiling is not too much north of $100k. More than that, and I may have to think about it, for a bit. But, given that a 2019 MB AMG G63 is $200k, loaded, I think paying half as much for a car that is nearly as good off-road ain’t such a bad deal at all. Hell, I could buy 2 Gladiators for the price of just one G63, so you won’t see me beefin about handing over $100k for my Gladiator diesel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm a diesel guy, and will only buy a Gladiator when the diesel option becomes available. I can't imagine FCA charging more than the 3-4k premium for the diesel option. I don't know the pricing for previous diesel offering with FCA with the Ram and Grand Cherokee. However, there is competition now in the mid to 1/2 ton market. Chevy is ~$3500 and Ford is around ~$4,000 premium from their base offerings.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Not sure how moparboy is planning on paying for his 100k gladiator with all that crack he is smoking. No way a loaded diesel comes in anywhere close to 100k even if it’s fully loaded. The mopar additions on the mopar gladiator at the shows is only a 8500$ premium. With a loaded JTR-D with mopar additions 75k max out the door.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Add 10.2% sales tax to $75k, plus the cost of EFW, licensing, delivery/prep, and doc fees, and you are well north of $90k.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Add 10.2% sales tax to $75k, plus the cost of EFW, licensing, delivery/prep, and doc fees, and you are well north of $90k.
Sorry... I was off by just over 2K... 77643 out the door with literally every option... (I assumed you wanted both hard and soft tops with premium fabric).

upload_2019-3-5_21-9-0.png

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Not sure how moparboy is planning on paying for his 100k gladiator with all that crack he is smoking. No way a loaded diesel comes in anywhere close to 100k even if it’s fully loaded. The mopar additions on the mopar gladiator at the shows is only a 8500$ premium. With a loaded JTR-D with mopar additions 75k max out the door.
If I was going to buy a JT for 100k. I'd buy a Sport S, do an LS swap, Dana 60s, custom lift to fit 40" tires for off-road, air bags for on-road, AEV all the way around. Then spend the remaining 15-20k on hookers, Scotch, and craps.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I highly doubt you will see any discount with a diesel, so let’s start at nearly $78k MSRP.

Second, you show $8500 for MOPAR. Are you including the 12,000 lb winch? The 2 inch lift kit? The 35 inch mudders? The dual 5 inch Mopar LED lights, and the dual 7 inch MOPAR LED lights? And, how much have you included for installation of all of these raw MOPAR parts?

Third, I see no mention, nor its cost, of the EFW (and don’t forget that EFW is also taxed at 10.5%, as it’s considered as a normal sales tax item).

I assumed MSRP on everything, as the diesel Gladiator may even sell well over its list MSRP sticker price. Good luck on your discounted invoice prices vs/ MSRP.

So, MSRP for the car is $82,200 with sales tax. Add the doc fees of $395, destination at $1,595, and now we are at an additional $2,200 with tax, for thes 2 items. This now brings us to $84,400.

I would add an additional $7,000 for EFW (including 10.5% sakes tax), so we are now at $91,400.

Next, we need the cost of installing the MOPAR accessories, none of which you itemized. Besides the raw cost of these MOPAR accessories, how much have you included for installation and labor by a professional shop for installing all of these MOPAR parts? Did you include a nice 12,000 lb winch?

My friend, we could easily be touching $100,000+ all told here, in terms of the check required to buy her, and drive the car off the lot.

Now, if you can score a discount, like invoice, or even less, that would be icing on the cake. My estimate is MSRP, which may be optimistic for the first year or two to snag a coveted diesel Gladiator.

So many ppl are literally shocked when they go from the nice fast talking sales guy to the dreaded back room, where the guy adds everything up on his PC.

A lot of ppl don’t even figure in sales tax before they go shopping, which is unbelievable, since sales tax is every bit as much of a hard cost as the car itself. They are shocked when they see the actual price added up in the back room.

Just sayin...

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Let’s make this even simpler. You discounted (estimated) the purchase price by 10%, to $74,386. So, realistically, if I remove this discount to return to MSRP, we are at $81,825. Then, figure in the sales tax at 10.5%, which brings us to $90,417. This $90k+ price does not include any costs whatsoever for EFW, doc fees, destination, nor MOPAR installation costs. This then approaches $100,000, all told.

Again, if you can score a huge discount for the diesel in the first year, good for you. But, I hope you can now see why I’m saying all told, this is a $90k+ car.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I highly doubt you will see any discount with a diesel, so let’s start at nearly $78k MSRP.
That's the problem, even a 78k MSRP would ensure a single model year run. For that price you could get a optioned out Ram 3500 Limited dually with a Cummins. For ~15k less you could get a optioned out Ram 1500 Limited. FCA charging 30-40k above competition would be astronomically stupid.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU

Second, you show $8500 for MOPAR. Are you including the 12,000 lb winch? The 2 inch lift kit? The 35 inch mudders? The dual 5 inch Mopar LED lights, and the dual 7 inch MOPAR LED lights? And, how much have you included for installation of all of these raw MOPAR parts?

Third, I see no mention, nor its cost, of the EFW (and don’t forget that EFW is also taxed at 10.5%, as it’s considered as a normal sales tax item).

I assumed MSRP on everything, as the diesel Gladiator may even sell well over its list MSRP sticker price. Good luck on your discounted invoice prices vs/ MSRP.

So, MSRP for the car is $82,200 with sales tax. Add the doc fees of $395, destination at $1,595, and now we are at an additional $2,200 with tax, for thes 2 items. This now brings us to $84,400.

I would add an additional $7,000 for EFW (including 10.5% sakes tax), so we are now at $91,400.

Next, we need the cost of installing the MOPAR accessories, none of which you itemized. Besides the raw cost of these MOPAR accessories, how much have you included for installation and labor by a professional shop for installing all of these MOPAR parts? Did you include a nice 12,000 lb winch?

My friend, we could easily be touching $100,000+ all told here, in terms of the check required to buy her, and drive the car off the lot.

Now, if you can score a discount, like invoice, or even less, that would be icing on the cake. My estimate is MSRP, which may be optimistic for the first year or two to snag a coveted diesel Gladiator.

So many ppl are literally shocked when they go from the nice fast talking sales guy to the dreaded back room, where the guy adds everything up on his PC.

A lot of ppl don’t even figure in sales tax before they go shopping, which is unbelievable, since sales tax is every bit as much of a hard cost as the car itself. They are shocked when they see the actual price added up in the back room.

Just sayin...
Your numbers don’t add up. Not sure why EFW is and google won’t tell me so you may have to explain that.

As for the MOPAR kit I have it priced as to what mopar has said their moded car show truck is spec’d Out to cost. Their price not mine. Not sure if that includes labor or not but shy of the Lift kit and tires the others are simple installs.

Let’s say you are bad at research and don’t get below MSRP (even though we have several dealers across the us and willing to ship who said they will garnered at least 5% under) including tax, doc fees and destination you are at 84k. Add on EFW what ever that is.

End of the day you will have a really confused significantly over priced, expensive Gladiator that is expensive just so the driver can boast about how expensive it is.

I forgot to price in spinners and an color led lights so you will look cool when you rev your engine at the mall on Friday nights with the other truck boys.
Sponsored