Let’s talk Ecodiesel

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Hey man! Welcome to the forum. It’s awesome that the diesel is working out for ya. I do have some questions though. Have you had any reliability Issues? How’s that maintenance? Can you do anything yourself or do you take it to a shop? How’s the price on set maintenance? Have you done any mods? Man I can’t wait for this thing to come out. The itch is real...
I have not had any problems with my Ecodiesel, I was a little leery of buying one when I heard about the troubles some of the earlier engines had - especially the ones in the Dodge pickups w/ the connecting rod bearing failures. I think they figured out that was a specific batch of bearings. The 3.0 has had more mechanical issues than most engines, I am hopeful that the improved 2019 version will be better.
Maintenance does cost more with a diesel. Periodically you must drain the fuel filters (there are a pair of them) and of course replace them eventually. I use fuel treatment about every other tankfull, and of course there is the DEF. Hate that it has to be a part of the diesel package. You pretty much fill the DEF tank each time you change the oil. My 3.0 holds 8 quarts of oil, I use Rotella T6 synthetic & change it at 8K miles regardless of what the computer says. The filter looks just like the 3.6L in a Wrangler, even uses same socket to remove the housing. I do all my on service, hate for people to touch my equipment. My diesel is stock, and will stay that way probably until the warranty ends - I just do not trust that a dealership can't detect modifications. But there are several folks out there w/ different tunes & you could probably even eliminate the DEF. Will look into it one day.
Diesel powerplants aren't for everyone, they are an expensive option up front and do require more maint. The payoff for me (YRMV) is the incredible range you get with a tankfull = I regularly have 750 miles per tank. The engine has the torque to pull a trailer with a modest load & still can run with traffic without feeling like you have to push the engine hard. 'Back in the Day' I bought diesels because they would run forever, much longer than a gas engine but today diesels are much more complex, high-tolerance engines and gas motors are much better. I honestly do not know how long I would want to keep a modern diesel for fear of the cost of keeping it running with excessive miles. Then again, I feel that way about pretty much all new vehicles, too much electronics and plastic.
This weekend we had a very good trip, two of us in the GC, 2 heavy tool boxes, a window air conditioner, big cooler, large suitcase + msc stuff. The trip is right at 640 miles, I filled up before I left the house so we had a little stop & go, about 100 mi of Arkansas hill country, the rest interstate. Here are the results when we got home:
Trip_1.jpg
Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I have not had any problems with my Ecodiesel, I was a little leery of buying one when I heard about the troubles some of the earlier engines had - especially the ones in the Dodge pickups w/ the connecting rod bearing failures. I think they figured out that was a specific batch of bearings. The 3.0 has had more mechanical issues than most engines, I am hopeful that the improved 2019 version will be better.
Maintenance does cost more with a diesel. Periodically you must drain the fuel filters (there are a pair of them) and of course replace them eventually. I use fuel treatment about every other tankfull, and of course there is the DEF. Hate that it has to be a part of the diesel package. You pretty much fill the DEF tank each time you change the oil. My 3.0 holds 8 quarts of oil, I use Rotella T6 synthetic & change it at 8K miles regardless of what the computer says. The filter looks just like the 3.6L in a Wrangler, even uses same socket to remove the housing. I do all my on service, hate for people to touch my equipment. My diesel is stock, and will stay that way probably until the warranty ends - I just do not trust that a dealership can't detect modifications. But there are several folks out there w/ different tunes & you could probably even eliminate the DEF. Will look into it one day.
Diesel powerplants aren't for everyone, they are an expensive option up front and do require more maint. The payoff for me (YRMV) is the incredible range you get with a tankfull = I regularly have 750 miles per tank. The engine has the torque to pull a trailer with a modest load & still can run with traffic without feeling like you have to push the engine hard. 'Back in the Day' I bought diesels because they would run forever, much longer than a gas engine but today diesels are much more complex, high-tolerance engines and gas motors are much better. I honestly do not know how long I would want to keep a modern diesel for fear of the cost of keeping it running with excessive miles. Then again, I feel that way about pretty much all new vehicles, too much electronics and plastic.
This weekend we had a very good trip, two of us in the GC, 2 heavy tool boxes, a window air conditioner, big cooler, large suitcase + msc stuff. The trip is right at 640 miles, I filled up before I left the house so we had a little stop & go, about 100 mi of Arkansas hill country, the rest interstate. Here are the results when we got home:
Trip_1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! While I'm 100% sure we won't see that same mileage in the JT due to the weight and aerodynamics, if the Ecodiesel versions can pull at least 25mpg I'm gonna be a pretty happy camper.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Oilburner, thank you for the detailed information. I have personally never owned a diesel vehicle but have experience through friends of mine who swear by them. When it comes time for the JT I know how much I am willing to spend and I will have to decide at that point based off pricing whether I can swing a diesel version or not. If it comes down to a diesel lower tier JT or a Rubicon JT with a Pentastar I am not sure which route I will go.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I would like the diesel with a manual, but I am not willing to compromise the manual. I will not buy the diesel if the manual is not an option for it. If the manual was not an option at all I'd buy a Tacoma. It's down to these two trucks..

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I would like the diesel with a manual, but I am not willing to compromise the manual. I will not buy the diesel if the manual is not an option for it. If the manual was not an option at all I'd buy a Tacoma. It's down to these two trucks..
Unfortunately, there is no talk of offering the diesel with anything but an automatic. The 3.6 Pentastar will likely retain the 6-speed option but aside from that it is all automatic transmissions.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Tabernac! The Jeep site has the Ecodiesel option available for the GC and it's $4500. Since the GC already has an 8 sp auto, I assume the diesel option is gonna be stupid high on the JT.

OP
OP
OSO131

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Tabernac! The Jeep site has the Ecodiesel option available for the GC and it's $4500. Since the GC already has an 8 sp auto, I assume the diesel option is gonna be stupid high on the JT.[/QUOTE
Tabernac! The Jeep site has the Ecodiesel option available for the GC and it's $4500. Since the GC already has an 8 sp auto, I assume the diesel option is gonna be stupid high on the JT.
man... I hope that Diesel is worth the extra money.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
and it 's like $3900 for the Ram when it was available. My guess it will be about the same for the Gladiator. Auto will be base so add 4-4.5K for 3.0. If you want 6 speed man (with 3.6 only) they will prob give no charge option.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Yeah I really want a manual with the diesel. I don't care if the tow capacity lowers or whatever. All of my cars have been manual, they're reliable and easy to work on. So come onnnnnn Jeep!

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, 2021 JT Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would absolutely love a diesel in a JT. I'm just not sure how a modern diesel will handle what the JT is designed for. Imagine being out on a trail when it goes into regen. Now what? You very well could be miles/hrs away from being able to hit 55mph. I'm very interested to know the solution Jeep has for this very real issue.

Sponsored

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Please don't tell me the Diesel option at ~$4.5K also requires the automatic upcharge of another $1-2K?

Last edited:

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I would absolutely love a diesel in a JT. I'm just not sure how a modern diesel will handle what the JT is designed for. Imagine being out on a trail when it goes into regen. Now what? You very well could be miles/hrs away from being able to hit 55mph. I'm very interested to know the solution Jeep has for this very real issue.
I've had a regen on the trail in my wk2. I was on Black Bear pass and another time on some other trail. It completed it while crawling through the trails.
I've also completed a regen in the city with no highway driving. It takes a little longer but it can be done. You can speed it up my by manually shifting into a lower gear and keeping the RPMS up while putting around town

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So we think the ~$4.5K EcoDiesel upcharge doesn't cover the engine AND the automatic transmission? What happens on the WK2 if you order EcoDiesel?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
So we think the ~$4.5K EcoDiesel upcharge doesn't cover the engine AND the automatic transmission? What happens on the WK2 if you order EcoDiesel?
It was a $3900 upcharge in the Ram when previously available (auto trans included). I would expect a slightly higher cost due to inflation, etc.
Sponsored