Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Are the rear lift gate struts height adjustable? I plan to put a large tent on top and will have a good amount of rear overhang since I still want to be able to use my soft top. Would that be a problem? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Really can't adjust the hatch opening limit. Just let it rest against the bottom of your tent. Maybe a couple of rub pads so the cap hatch doesn't rub when your moving about in the tent.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Another quick question. I can pick the cap up locally (10-15 miles) to save on shipping cost. Will it fit in the back of the Gladiator for transport home?

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
My cap was shipped standing on its front face in a 1” thick cardboard box on a pallet. That pallet won't fit in the bed of the truck and it would be pretty high above the cab. You could take it off the pallet and it would fit in the bed. Make sure you keep it on that front face as there is a large lip on the hatch that covers the tailgate.
You would be better off with a trailer.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My cap was shipped standing on its front face in a 1” thick cardboard box on a pallet. That pallet won't fit in the bed of the truck and it would be pretty high above the cab. You could take it off the pallet and it would fit in the bed. Make sure you keep it on that front face as there is a large lip on the hatch that covers the tailgate.
Thanks for the response. Can it lay flat on its roof in a trailer. Hate to have it fall over. Or it's should be pretty stable on the pallet?

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
It would be ok laying flat either upright or on its roof on a trailer. It was securely strapped to the pallet as shipped. I think it would be best left on the pallet.

jeventures

First Name
JonEric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business
I've seen some good examples of wiring for the canopy brake light but none yet for wiring the internal LEDs. Where are you guys running wires for the internal LED? I'm thinking to wire it to one of the factory Aux switches. I bought a Alu-Cab canopy from Asheville Vehicle Outfitters and will pick it up in the coming weeks...I'd have them do the install but their shop is booked out a ways.

JonEric

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I wired the cap lighting to one of the auxiliary switches set to have power on with the key off. Generally leave a few cap light switches on so I don't have to mess with them, just hit the aux. switch to light them up. Current draw is so low there really is no concerns when camping.

Kaumajet

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Retired helicopter pilot / test pilot / accident investigator
Mounted the ARB Twin and a 2.5gal air tank to the ceiling, and set up a pneumatic stack on the back wall of the port side cupboard. It's powered by an aux battery in the bed, charged by a 20A DC-DC charger.
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap IMG_6093
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap IMG_6092
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Gladiator Bed Cap IMG_6090

Sponsored

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Been struggling with the canopy bed cover thing for a while even bought a Diamondback cover, didn't like it sent it back. I was able to find a dealer near me that had the Alu Cab Explorer canopy camper in stock so I will be picking it up saturday. I have read through the entire thread and the wiring has got me a bit perplexed. I hate wiring and am not good at it. Is there a definitive way to hook up interior and break lights.

Thanks

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can put it in the bed with the gate down.
Then run a strap or 2 around the back of the package to the front tie downs to hold it forward.

Piece of cake. Its better to keep it protected for the ride home.

This topic came up when someone asked about transporting an 80 inch TV in a Gladiator. It seems people are afraid to put things in with the gate down. Its nothing to worry about. Just tie it down well.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wired the cap lighting to one of the auxiliary switches set to have power on with the key off. Generally leave a few cap light switches on so I don't have to mess with them, just hit the aux. switch to light them up. Current draw is so low there really is no concerns when camping.
I'm thinking about doing that. I was telling this to a friend who has a Chevy pickup with a cap. He bought a half dozen motion activated battery powered lights. He said when the cap is closed the lights don't trigger.

He said it works great, that the batteries have lasted over a year. I'm tempted.

One other thing. If you have a Tazer, you can trigger the bed lights with a key press sequence on your key fob. I don't remember what it is.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really can't adjust the hatch opening limit. Just let it rest against the bottom of your tent. Maybe a couple of rub pads so the cap hatch doesn't rub when your moving about in the tent.
You can probably order shorter struts on Amazon for less than $50 total. I bought a strut for a cooler I built out of an insulated fish box and was amazed at the variety offered by Amazon.