Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yea understood. We get why they added this safety feature but that doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Big picture, its warped to try to engineer and idiot proof against every possible scenario because someone died doing xyz. If thats the mindset then there should be no vehicle produced with a removable roof or doors or off road capability. There are scenarios where each of those aspects could present a safety hazard. So why not just outlaw everything and have us all drive basic sedans so that we will be "safe".
True, but that particular incident killed someone and that's why the feature is there. As far as removing doors, it clearly states in the owners manual that it's for off road use only, that's to protect FCA in case of a lawsuit if someone died on the road with the doors off. If we didn't live in such a sue first world then maybe they could just let things like that go, unfortunately a lot people think that monetary compensation will help ease the pain of someone getting killed. We don't have to agree with it but it's there for a reason and I don't blame FCA for protecting their selves.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
True, but that particular incident killed someone and that's why the feature is there. As far as removing doors, it clearly states in the owners manual that it's for off road use only, that's to protect FCA in case of a lawsuit if someone died on the road with the doors off. If we didn't live in such a sue first world then maybe they could just let things like that go, unfortunately a lot people think that monetary compensation will help ease the pain of someone getting killed. We don't have to agree with it but it's there for a reason and I don't blame FCA for protecting their selves.
Yea you are correct. I do blame them at some level though. Again you can't design around every possible outcome in something like a vehicle. Especially the ultimate suv type vehicle. It kind of reminds me of all the rules to keep us safe from covid. I have to wear a mask into the gym but can take it off the second I check in. Same as restaurants etc. But I digress...
Anyway I wish I could take my chances getting run over in the driveway but big brother says no. Meanwhile I have that seatbelt insert on order. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. haha

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Former Def. Driving Instructor here. Over 40000 people in the US die every year in vehicle "accidents" per the National Safety Council. That is an airplane load of 100 people every day. The insurance companies want this fixed and you cannot fix stupid.

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
WORST thread title EVER! Put something meaningful in the title so we don't have to figure out the thread by reading it. I would not have read this.

Ash1471

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Granted I am still getting acclimated with my new baby and its quirks. That said, am I the only dummy who does this...hop in and start moving forward or backward and the damn thing lurches to a halt. Then I spend a few panicked seconds trying to figure out what happened. Did I hit something? Did the transmission seize? Ah I messed up on the clutch just like when I was 16. Uh no that can't be it cause its an automatic. Ha. Then I realize the dern door isn't all the way shut and the vehicle goes into some sort of abort mode. Wth. Never had that before. Plus I am used to doors on other my other vehicles that almost shut themselves. For the Jeep you have to really shut it like you mean it. Not a fan of this feature. Can it be turned off
It’s not just you. I did this many times while picking up mail at the end of our driveway, and then trying to continue home unseatbelted until I figured the door thing out.

WARNING: Those of you who may be going to a drive through vaccination site, or other situation where someone else has to move your truck forward in a line, they will engage this feature 100% of the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
WORST thread title EVER! Put something meaningful in the title so we don't have to figure out the thread by reading it. I would not have read this.
Lol. Man I hope you recover. Sorry you read a whole thread about something you aren't interested in. One click and you could see what it's about in 3 seconds. A huge unacceptable waste of your time but you took way more time to write a reply. Let me apologize and I hope your day gets better....first step may want to stay off message boards

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. Man I hope you recover. Sorry you read a whole thread about something you aren't interested in. One click and you could see what it's about in 3 seconds. A huge unacceptable waste of your time but you took way more time to write a reply. Let me apologize and I hope your day gets better....first step may want to stay off message boards
Just what we need...another smart a@$

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No what we need are people complaining about threads because of the title. Adds alot
What adds a lot are bad titled threads. It helps users to decide what to look at. You're brand new and already being rude. I simply suggested a better title and you got all butt hurt and had to thump your chest and be a big boy. Just post meaningful titles. Congrats on your jeep and glad you'll experience the best vehicle in history, but don't cry if someone suggests something about what you post. Get some thicker skin, champ.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Just one of the carryovers after the "monostable" shifter from other models that had fewer detents in than positions and returned to the center when you let go was a disaster. After an actor was killed when his Grand Cherokee rolled back and crushed him against a gate because it wasn't in park they recalled them and programed them to do this, now they've just added it to all models with electronic shifters. Others with cable operated shifters with electronic parking brakes will set the brakes. It's pretty industry standard with other makers doing it as well.
Exactly right - not a Jeep/FCA thing, it's a LIABILITY thing.

OP
OP

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
What adds a lot are bad titled threads. It helps users to decide what to look at. You're brand new and already being rude. I simply suggested a better title and you got all butt hurt and had to thump your chest and be a big boy. Just post meaningful titles. Congrats on your jeep and glad you'll experience the best vehicle in history, but don't cry if someone suggests something about what you post. Get some thicker skin, champ.
Again I had to laugh. I am being rude? All you did was make a simple suggestion? Me thinks you might want to read your post and reconsider that. I do humbly concede that my title did not indicate the subject matter. Guilty. Not sure how you think I am the one butt hurt considering the salty reply you made. A quick scan shows that about a third of the posts in this forum are not clear in the title but I suppose I am used to that on message boards. Anyway this is silly. Sorry to have wasted your time and upset your day. Peace

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
I've never had auto-park trigger. But I also probably wake the neighbors up when I close my door with "Jeep force".

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Someone died, because they got ran over because they got out with a jeep in gear and it ran over them, that's why the feature is there. Guess what would happen if it wasn't, there would be a number of lawsuits being filed against FCA for not having the feature. You can thank the the guy who got ran over for the feature that will keep someone else from getting ran over, that's my point, it's not bad, it's a feature to keep someone from dying. If you want to move your vehicle in the driveway then shut the door, it's that simple, or if the doors are off snap your seat belt or buy a seatbelt extender.
That's what happened to that young Russian kid from the newer Star Trek movies, Anton Yelchin. It was a Jeep too. He got pinned up against a well or something and the Jeep was rolling on a hill. I was really sad to hear about that. I just now learned it was a Jeep.

amosier

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It’s not just you. I did this many times while picking up mail at the end of our driveway, and then trying to continue home unseatbelted until I figured the door thing out.

WARNING: Those of you who may be going to a drive through vaccination site, or other situation where someone else has to move your truck forward in a line, they will engage this feature 100% of the time.
I guess its better than my old truck. 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. There was a recall about 10 years ago because they would literally pop out of part and into reverse on their own. So the "fix" was the make the horn sound repeatedly while the truck was in reverse with the door open. This way you could at least see it coming as it ran you over. SMH
Sponsored