Sponsored

Any Full-Size Converts?

Bigbrazen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2006 HSV GTO
Here is what I tow, I fixed the sag with a different hitch, this one was for my jk run.

0831191209.jpg
Sponsored

CokreeateJT

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Ray Gray JTR
Came from a 2019 ram to JTR.
I do miss the v8 and extra room.
Other than that super happy with the gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Came from a 2019 ram to JTR.
I do miss the v8 and extra room.
Other than that super happy with the gladiator.
I may miss that LS power when I tow, but when not towing, I'm impressed with the little 3.6 - this thing is SNAPPY. It will sit you back in the seat when you need to merge into heavy traffic. I think is surprises people when they think they aren't going to let me in when I try to merge - and I push a little more on my right foot and zip in ahead of them.
The extra room I don't miss as much any more. In fact, I feel more at home, more "comfortable" in this little truck.

Last edited:

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I may miss that LS power when I tow, but when not towing, I'm impressed with the little 3.6 - this thing is SNAPPY. It will sit you back in the seat when you need to merge into heavy traffic. I think is surprises people when they think they aren't going to let me in when I try to merge - and I push a little more on my right foot and zip in ahead of them.
The extra room I don't miss as much any more. In fact, I feel more at home, more "comfortable" in this little truck.
I traded our 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab for our JT. When we traveled for Thanksgiving, it became apparent just how much shorter the bed of the JT is compared to our old truck. I'm thinking the only time we're going to miss the bigger bed is when we travel for Christmas & need the extra room to bring our presents to the visit & take our presents home...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I traded our 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab for our JT. When we traveled for Thanksgiving, it became apparent just how much shorter the bed of the JT is compared to our old truck. I'm thinking the only time we're going to miss the bigger bed is when we travel for Christmas & need the extra room to bring our presents to the visit & take our presents home...
Mine was a 2011 Silverado extended cab.
Extra room for presents? Good grief - what sort of presents do you take and get? LOL
My family is just my two brothers and we rarely see each other. My wife's family is large but her immediate family she doesn't see and presents are just between the two of us.
All would fit into the bed of the JT with room to spare. (well, not her sunroom, I guess)

Sponsored

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Mine was a 2011 Silverado extended cab.
Extra room for presents? Good grief - what sort of presents do you take and get? LOL
My family is just my two brothers and we rarely see each other. My wife's family is large but her immediate family she doesn't see and presents are just between the two of us.
All would fit into the bed of the JT with room to spare. (well, not her sunroom, I guess)
Small family here. We go to her mom's place, and my parents meet us there for Christmas. Gift hauling has been decreasing as our kids grow older (they're 19 & 17 now)...

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I went from an 18 Tundra limited to this 2020 gladiator overland. Tundra was too big, felt like it was driving me. I never parked it right. This Jeep is cool. I can still haul stuff, it looks cooler, and I can park it fine. It’s only a foot shorter but it’s narrower.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Tundra had a 38 gallon tank. When I fill this Jeep up, it has only about 45 miles less range. 16 gallons less in the tank I think. Awesome.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went from an 18 Tundra limited to this 2020 gladiator overland. Tundra was too big, felt like it was driving me. I never parked it right. This Jeep is cool. I can still haul stuff, it looks cooler, and I can park it fine. It’s only a foot shorter but it’s narrower.
Glad you mention the parking - it's SO much easier to park this slightly narrower Jeep than the wiiide Silverado and the little bit shorter helps, too. Plus the turning radius is good.
Yeah, and it's cool, too.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I have had it for a few months. The only things I hate are,
Cons
Garage door opener will not program to any opener I've tried
Auto stop is stupid, Tazer took care of it but it's still stupid
Radio is way more money than what it's worth.
XM Guardian service is so unreliable, I don't know why anyone would pay for it.
Windshield is brittle
(this is all Jeeps) the lever to raise the seat is retarded, Get in and out a few times and you have to readjust. It should not be located there or be a lever.
Pros
I'm sure I will miss some but
It drives better than my 15 JKU and has plenty of power for me.
Easy to park
Bed is the perfect size for me
It is f***ing cool as hell.
Great on gas compared to my Tundra.
It's comfortable
Heated seats and steering wheel is the shit
Remote start is great but having all the heat turn on if it's below 40 outside is very cool.
LED light package is very much worth it. I have not seen cooler tail lights.
Other people love it and some others hate it. I have no grey areas and I am glad my truck doesn't either.

Sponsored

Hot-Rod

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE Gladiator, Grand Cherokee
Pros
-I much prefer the Jeep’s 8” touch screen unit to GM’s unit not sure why but I do.
- Easier to park
- Smaller than the Silverado so parking in the garage gives us much more room
- Rubicon is totally Bad #$$ looking! #1 reason
- real 4 wheel drive just seems more capable than my Chevy full size
- topless fun
- doorless fun
- Just small enough that your not the first call on moving day

Con
- 6’ +bed allowed the tailgate to close when hauling 6’ folding tables and more.
- worst seating position of the 40,+ cars I have owned — washers added made much better
- peopling asking- saying it’s just a Jeep,with a bed ( includes someone that worked on the Gladiator program)
- same on Gas as most full size trucks

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I paid off my 3/4 just in time to not have anything big to tow as we sold our boat and got an RV. We loved the 2019 cab redesign and it is a serious comfy truck. I was kind of let down by the big screen as the software was just not all there. But all in all really no complaints. Well my oldest started taking a liking to Jeep's. She got me to drive a couple l. The Gladiator really impressed me. So much so I started shopping them on my own without my daughter lol. One think led to another and just look at the smile on her face. I have no regrets. The Jeep has turned out to be a real work horse and is just a ton of fun to boot. I supercharged mine and I really have no fuss about the power or performance.
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 20190704_130639
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 20200401_190712
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 9d76669d-1228-44a8-9492-d047886388f2_zps63e0a97a

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I see people compain about the seat lever and the auto stop/start - and one about the garage door openers.
My JT seat - I've not changed it since last fall. I finally got it where I like it, and get in and out (with a bad back and arthritis, I typicallty slide out or ease myself out) and have never hit any lever or had to adjust the seat again.
Door openers - I was concerned as the opener for my part of the garage (I finally got things arranged and my truck INSIDE a couple of weeks ago!) the opener is a 1980 Craftsman. Not a rolling code. I can't find one of the remotes and ther other had no battery and corroded contacts inside. (I wired switches in the house in our coat rack for the garage doors - haven't used a remote for decades).
I got the one remote I could find working sort of ok, and in less than a minute, had the JT programmed for that door. It works fine with the newer opener on my wife's side - with rolling code as well. All of our Jeeps have thus worked with both openered without fail.
As far as auto stop/start - or ESS whatever, I love it. Why not? I guess I don't see the issue. When I don't want it to function, as if I see a light ahead that's been red for a while or have the timing down pretty good, I simply don't hit the brakes hard - and it doesn't engage. If I want it to engage, I hit the brakes harder and hold it harder. I've learned to manipulate that brake pedal and these days 19 out of 20 times, it does what I want - either engages or doesn't. When I see the light start to turn, I let off a bit - and it's running by the time the car ahead of me has even noticed the light has turned.
I know it irritates people - but I don't get why? We aren't sitting staged by the tree waiting to see that bottom light turn so I can get a .01 reaction time and whomp the guy in the next lane! It moves when I want it to move and I'm typically first out the gate (I'm an extremely impatient driver, extremely. Good thing my windows are up a lot of the time.......)
So far, I can't find much in the line of "cons" other than how badly it sags with only 350 pounds in the back (right over the axle, I might add) and how poorly it does with my EMPTY flat bed trailer.
Seats - perfect.
Comfort - better than almost anything else other than my Javelins.
Mileage - very good.
Panel fitment - right front door needs to be adjusted, sounds bad when closing, takes more effort than the other 3 but that's a tweak, not a defect or design thing.
Windshield - just paid $970 (with tax) for a new one. OUCH, only 7700 miles!
Uconnect - antiquated interface, reminds me of 1990s computer interfaces and doens't keep working with my new LG phone. Have to keep breaking the pairing and repairing - sometimes it tells me I got a new text, sometimes it doesn't. But that's ok - I ignore texts while driving anyway. And I use the bluetooth phone connection with my hearing aids, not the truck, for phone calls.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
another full size convert, came from 2014 ram 1500, and 2 other full size before that, 16,000 kms of pure joy and excitement on 4-wheels, finally

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Not quite ready to part with my F250 diesel yet, as I don't know about the Gladiator's towing capabilities (until I get a brake controller). The Jeep certainly is more comfortable and easier to drive in traffic and park. Never hurts to have an extra pickup available for moving people or materials.
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? IMG_4574.JPG
Sponsored