Sponsored

Any good detectives out there?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Squirrels like the new Bronco better? Tacoma owner putting peanut butter on your latches?

My neighborhood does have a ton of squirrels. But what’s the attraction over all the acorns that are available?
Sponsored

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Definitely a chupacabra.

Jeep Gladiator Any good detectives out there? Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.46.47 PM

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Apparently a lot of the new plastic type wire looms have a soy base now? No idea if that applies to the hood latches, but apparently it's a pretty well known issue, at least in the Toyota world.
Yes, I have some outdoor adirondack chairs that're made from recycled plastic, and when researching brands I read that some use a soy base that squirrels will chew up.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Squirrels. Local guy with a JL has some serious problems with them. They ate his hood latches, cowl cover and started on the drip rails on the freedom top. He tried all sorts of bitter apple, hot sauce, and taste deterrents. Nothing worked. .22 did.

Sponsored

concretewolf

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Gladiator, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Taurus
I vote for mice. When I had mice invading my garage and vehicle I paid my youngest boy a buck for each dead mouse that he showed me. After about $12 I was good!

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
Squirrel, had one cause about $800 damage to my last Tundra wiring harness, and my whole front yard is full of acorns, damn bastards don't care. Same looking marks.

Apparently a lot of the new plastic type wire looms have a soy base now? No idea if that applies to the hood latches, but apparently it's a pretty well known issue, at least in the Toyota world.

And no, warranty didn't help ha....

So, I did what any reasonable person would do.... Spent $3K and cut down the whole damn tree they lived in, tree was huge. 🙈
Good pellet gun, $60. Squirrel makes good eatin'...

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
You will never put a dent in their populations. They breed too fast and others will just move in from adjoining territories.

Rodents' teeth never stop growing. If they don't find something to gnaw they will eventually be too long and make it difficult to eat.

It's not a matter of plastic vs metal either. They love to gnaw through the fence ties on my chain link fence. I have to replace them every few years.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So I was waxing my Jeep today and discovered that my hood latches were trashed. Everything else surrounding the hood and front fender flares flawless. Any ideas? Pics attached showing the condition of the latches.
Jeep Gladiator Any good detectives out there? Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.46.47 PM
It's a rodent - mouse, rat, squirrel. Many rodents chew constantly because their teeth continue to grow throughout their life. Looks like your gladiator became a chew toy for one. Use this as an excuse to upgrade to some aluminum ones. :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My neighborhood does have a ton of squirrels. But what’s the attraction over all the acorns that are available?
I've had squirrels do similar - and cut Christmas light wires in the front yard. Snipped as clean as if with wire cutters. The tell was other "punctures" in other places showing it wasn't a human animal.

Often times squirrels will do this to sharpen their teeth. They'll do it to anything that's just the right stiffness (plumbing vent caps, gas can spouts, metal flashing, etc). They aren't trying to eat these things, but they still destroy them.
Yup - that, too.
And with a couple of oak trees in the yard, there's plenty of those things around here.

Sponsored

Awhitebuff

First Name
Buff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
The GF and I spend a good amount of time spring and fall shooting chippys and squirrels. If we don't they will be everywhere and getting into everything. And we have owls, hawks, eagles, snakes and fox around too helping to keep the numbers low. Can never kill enough. But it's still fun.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Chipmunk….looks like a couple of gas can spouts I have. Couldn't believe they would go for stinky gas.
I have a simple solution for chipmunks. They've caused thousands of dollars of damage here, but I've had the last laugh so far.
I haven't seen one in over 2 months now. They used to be everywhere.
5 gallon plastic bucket, I use old cat litter buckets. Fill about 60% with water, spread a layer of styrofoam packing peanuts on the water surface. Put a few sunflower seeds on the packing peanuts. Set the bucket next to a wall or give them some way to get to the top of the bucket. Bastards can't swim and suck at treading water. They drown in minutes once in the bucket. They see the styrofoam as a solid enough surface, go for the seeds and fall into the water.
I've caught as many as 3 in one bucket in a single day before. In past years I've set out 4 or 5 buckets like that. This year one bucket and my B-B gun were enough to control them. They are curious so stand up to check me out - POP, gotcha, you little@#$%#
Just check the buckets daily as you don't want to deal with one that's been in the bucket for a couple of hot summer days...........

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I have been using a GAMO break barrel .177 gas cylinder pellet rifle on the squirrels. Over 1000 fps with a 10 grain pellet and drops them like a stone. They are smart and wary. I get up early anyways and I can usually bag 1 or 2 every morning as the replacements filter in. Easier spotting coming up when the leaves drop.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
goes without saying, periodically check every thing edible , wiring, hoses. And, add mules to the list of critters that like wiper blades

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
So I was waxing my Jeep today and discovered that my hood latches were trashed. Everything else surrounding the hood and front fender flares flawless. Any ideas? Pics attached showing the condition of the latches.
I would be checking any exposed wiring for chewing too.
Sponsored