Any Issues with Tazer Mini/Lite after Steering Box Replacemet - TSB 08-074-20

JTMana

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Jeep was claiming for a while that you could slap 37's on the JT without a speedo recal. I dont know if they have changed or redacted that or if it was a bit of an FCA overstatement. Or maybe youre just lucky.

Another thing I should've mentioned. I had my wife drive next to me(in her JLU) on the highway to compare speeds real time, I was doing 70MPH, on her speedometer said 79-80 mph lmao, I should prolly believe the real time test lol. I'm still gonna get a tazer mini regardless.
Sponsored

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Mines pretty close with 37" Patagonias and 5.13 gears. Tazer gear ratio at 5.13 and tire size 36.69.

Grim Jeeper gear calcutor I have to put 35.5" to get accurate speed/tach settings.

Id just adjust the taser up or down and verify it against a GPS app until accurate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep was claiming for a while that you could slap 37's on the JT without a speedo recal. I dont know if they have changed or redacted that or if it was a bit of an FCA overstatement. Or maybe youre just lucky.
That's a joke as I can change tires on my cars and throw the speedometer off enough to be a problem.
Going from 33 to 35 or larger and no change? HAHA.
If I put 15" tires on my car that are only 1" different, the speedo will be off. You should see the people looking for the different color speedometer driven gear for their cars because they changed tire sizes.
I changed tires on my 73 Javelin and changed the speedometer more than 5 mph.

DMaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I put BFG KO-2 285s on my JT Sport. The BFG spec was 32.8 inches and I ended up having the Tazer set to 32.79 (Tazer does oddball numbers for some reason) to get the speedo to match my GPS.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's a joke as I can change tires on my cars and throw the speedometer off enough to be a problem.
Going from 33 to 35 or larger and no change? HAHA.
If I put 15" tires on my car that are only 1" different, the speedo will be off. You should see the people looking for the different color speedometer driven gear for their cars because they changed tire sizes.
I changed tires on my 73 Javelin and changed the speedometer more than 5 mph.
I talked to a tire dealer who had a large business doing tire retreads. He said there was a huge difference in the actual size of tires. One brand's tires were a lot different than another brands.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to a tire dealer who had a large business doing tire retreads. He said there was a huge difference in the actual size of tires. One brand's tires were a lot different than another brands.
Absolutely. We've found that out on our collector cars over the years. One guy pops into our forum and asks what he can do to fix his speedometer, and folks ask what size tires - then they start comparing and - well, your tire dealer guy knows the rest of the story.
Of course in our case we're talking like F70/15, that sort of thing, but when we do the conversion, Goodyear says xxx tire is the equal while Firestone says no, it's xxx tire that is the equal. And when you get to actual dimensions, well......
Picking nits - everyone calls the Falken A/T Rubicon tires 33" tires. They are not - they are 32.8
So they go on to say "the Rubicon tires are 1" bigger than the little 32" tires of the Overland."
No again - the Overland tires according to the specs are 32.2.
So you have that so-called 1" difference that ends up being in reality - barely over .5" difference. Just .6" difference.
And it's why their bigger 33" tires don't really make a difference on my Overland speedometer. And it's why those Rubicon tires don't fill my fenders any better than my Overland tires - you are talking .3" difference from center to top - not even noticable, could almost call it just a quarter inch closer to the fender.

There's differences between brands in the same "size designation".
And I get to the tires on this SX4 I"m working on for the owner - the car came with a set of tires on aluminum wheels and another set on steel the seller used in the winter. All the same size on the sidewall. Yet the tires on the steel wheels were 2 different physical dimensions - I could tell when rolling a pair of them from my garage to my shop.
Ended up calling the owner and saying that between all 8 tires, there wasn't a full set of 4 that matched in actual size even though the sidewalls said the same numbers. 3 different brand tires. Apparently when the prior owner had a tire issue, he simply went and bought another tire - didn't bother matching brands.
On an Eagle - that will really mess with the transfer case in some instances.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Absolutely. We've found that out on our collector cars over the years. One guy pops into our forum and asks what he can do to fix his speedometer, and folks ask what size tires - then they start comparing and - well, your tire dealer guy knows the rest of the story.
Of course in our case we're talking like F70/15, that sort of thing, but when we do the conversion, Goodyear says xxx tire is the equal while Firestone says no, it's xxx tire that is the equal. And when you get to actual dimensions, well......
Picking nits - everyone calls the Falken A/T Rubicon tires 33" tires. They are not - they are 32.8
So they go on to say "the Rubicon tires are 1" bigger than the little 32" tires of the Overland."
No again - the Overland tires according to the specs are 32.2.
So you have that so-called 1" difference that ends up being in reality - barely over .5" difference. Just .6" difference.
And it's why their bigger 33" tires don't really make a difference on my Overland speedometer. And it's why those Rubicon tires don't fill my fenders any better than my Overland tires - you are talking .3" difference from center to top - not even noticable, could almost call it just a quarter inch closer to the fender.

There's differences between brands in the same "size designation".
And I get to the tires on this SX4 I"m working on for the owner - the car came with a set of tires on aluminum wheels and another set on steel the seller used in the winter. All the same size on the sidewall. Yet the tires on the steel wheels were 2 different physical dimensions - I could tell when rolling a pair of them from my garage to my shop.
Ended up calling the owner and saying that between all 8 tires, there wasn't a full set of 4 that matched in actual size even though the sidewalls said the same numbers. 3 different brand tires. Apparently when the prior owner had a tire issue, he simply went and bought another tire - didn't bother matching brands.
On an Eagle - that will really mess with the transfer case in some instances.
You described it much better than I!

yet I’ve seen many cars sold with tires of different makes.
possible huge differences in spite of similar size markings.
Sponsored