Sponsored

Any news on Inline-6 Hurricane engine coming to Gladiator?

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
Any scoop on the inline 6 coming to the gladiator? I think they should give it to the gladiator before the Wrangler because the JL got the 392 and the JT didn't. On the JL forum there is talk that someone in the know said their was some frame updates coming and its believed to be for the new inline 6. Anyone on here in the know?
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I still think they would sell better with a v8 or twin turbo v6. Inline 6? Looking to gain on torque? I think I would keep what I have over an inline 6. Wasn't thrilled with the TJ. It is not that I think the 3.6l is any better, but I don't see it worth the time and energy to trade up. On the other hand if a v8 was to come out from the factory, I'd go for it. Tell me your thoughts on the inline 6.

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
It would be a good fit for the Mojave, but I don't expect it to happen.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Who knows… I might consider taking a hard look if they figure out how to keep the thing cool enough to not derated like the ecodiesel, assuming it comes with similar torque numbers.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
In-line engines are much better for torque, so I certainly wish the Gladiator had one. I also understand it’s much more compact to have a V engine.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Happens for the Ram lineup in 2024. WL Grand Cherokee will be due for a refresh in '25-'26 and most likely next in line.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an insider, but I'm fairly certain you will not see any additional engine options for quite some time. Maybe when they are ready to put the electric options in the lineup.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I'm not an insider, but I'm fairly certain you will not see any additional engine options for quite some time. Maybe when they are ready to put the electric options in the lineup.
Agreed. There may be an electric option before the I6.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group

Sponsored

OP
OP

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
I like my diesel currently. But finding parts by aftermarket suppliers is hard. Just looking for an oil filter itself is complicated enough (dealer $100). Then there's the oil search. Dealer is putting T6 but I looked at the bottles in the stores and it doesn't have the chrysler MS 1992 (or something something 1992, don't recall all the digits). So I seen one here where Penzoil is a popular choice. But not on my local store shelves at 8 different auto part stores. So I know they have all the gas ones and oil is easier to come by for them. Looking at their torque ratings for the inline 6 with turbo seems like it makes much more sense. If they did the 4xe with the inline 6 and over 40 miles range (all electric), then I'd be in on that. But I read over and over the EcoDiesel is gone soon, so finding parts will become even harder. I don't like the V6 gasser, I've got a Wrangler with it already.

I had the ole inline 6 in my 89 cherokee (really miss those poke out windows) and it was all power. I did have some bigger issues I couldn't figure out that was causing engine surges. I checked everything and replaced almost everything before meeting my wife and joining the military, then abandoning it at my mothers house. It was later sacrificed to Hurricane Katrina and floated away. But when it was working, it was great. It was fast and torquey enough to get me through some serious trails of mud, sand, downed trees, rocks, and other obstacles. So I figure a return of the inline would suit me fine. However, I'm just a few years before retiring and really don't want a car payment then if I can help it. Especially if prices tilt closer to the $100k mark.

Cansberry

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport
Occupation
Professional Crayon Eater
I still think they would sell better with a v8 or twin turbo v6. Inline 6? Looking to gain on torque? I think I would keep what I have over an inline 6. Wasn't thrilled with the TJ. It is not that I think the 3.6l is any better, but I don't see it worth the time and energy to trade up. On the other hand if a v8 was to come out from the factory, I'd go for it. Tell me your thoughts on the inline 6.
You get better torque, and the horsepower figures on those Hurricanes is nothing to sneeze at. V8s were good when car manufacturers couldn't figure out how to make power efficiently, but we're past that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You had a stock, low RPM, high low-end torque heavy I6.
Can't compare to the modern I6. I'd take an I6 over a V8.
You've seen the 800 hp 4.0, right?
I built the 4.0 I put into my little Eagle and get decent mpg, and it's pretty zippy for a 4.0.
If I had the energy, I'd put the experimental aluminum head I have on the shelf on it and lighten it up a bit.
A cam, shaving the stock head, MOPAR performance valve springs, H-S aluminum roller rockers, etc. and it does pretty well.

The V8 is yesterday.

If a 4xe JT could tow, they'd have my attention. But if the JT comes out with the new I6 - this 2022 may not be my forever truck.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
You get better torque, and the horsepower figures on those Hurricanes is nothing to sneeze at. V8s were good when car manufacturers couldn't figure out how to make power efficiently, but we're past that.
It's not that they couldn't, they just didn't care years ago. Now they have mandates. Today you can see v8s that sip fuel and put out plenty of power. Duramax diesel 300hp 750 ftlbs of torque and still get 22mpg. They have come a long way.
Sponsored