Sponsored

Any news on Inline-6 Hurricane engine coming to Gladiator?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
You had a stock, low RPM, high low-end torque heavy I6.
Can't compare to the modern I6. I'd take an I6 over a V8.
You've seen the 800 hp 4.0, right?
I built the 4.0 I put into my little Eagle and get decent mpg, and it's pretty zippy for a 4.0.
If I had the energy, I'd put the experimental aluminum head I have on the shelf on it and lighten it up a bit.
A cam, shaving the stock head, MOPAR performance valve springs, H-S aluminum roller rockers, etc. and it does pretty well.

The V8 is yesterday.

If a 4xe JT could tow, they'd have my attention. But if the JT comes out with the new I6 - this 2022 may not be my forever truck.
I feel the same way although a concern is how much more these future options will cost
Sponsored

GOT FLOYD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2021 Mojave gladiator
Any scoop on the inline 6 coming to the gladiator? I think they should give it to the gladiator before the Wrangler because the JL got the 392 and the JT didn't. On the JL forum there is talk that someone in the know said their was some frame updates coming and its believed to be for the new inline 6. Anyone on here in the know?
Dealer claims about 18 months. Grand Wagoneer along with Grand Cherokee will receive them first

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Wagoneer already has them. If they put it in the Gladiator and Wrangler it probably won't be a hi-po upgrade, it will replace the 3.6. There are two versions for a reason. One to replace the 3.6 in the trucks/SUVs and one as a hi-po option in those and other things.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer claims about 18 months. Grand Wagoneer along with Grand Cherokee will receive them first
Im good with thats how long it will take for me to be ready to maybe buy again haha

OP
OP

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
Seems reasonable if it is 18 months. Plus the NAIS is 18 months away. So that sounds like it’s an ideal time.

Sponsored

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
I still think they would sell better with a v8 or twin turbo v6. Inline 6? Looking to gain on torque? I think I would keep what I have over an inline 6. Wasn't thrilled with the TJ. It is not that I think the 3.6l is any better, but I don't see it worth the time and energy to trade up. On the other hand if a v8 was to come out from the factory, I'd go for it. Tell me your thoughts on the inline 6.
I’ll let you drive my BMW X4M twin turbo inline 6, or my M2, you can then let me know what you don’t like.

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I traded my 22 Gladiator max tow for a 21 Big Horn 5.7 because I wasn't happy pulling our 26' 5,500lb travel trailer around the Western US. How long will it take to work out the bugs of the new twin turbo I6. I like my V8, second only to my 6.7 Cummins that I never should have let go. I will say that my 05 TJR 4.0 is a pretty stout motor also, which is my 6th Jeep. I would have kept my Gladiator if it had the 5.7. That's just my opinion of course.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I traded my 22 Gladiator max tow for a 21 Big Horn 5.7 because I wasn't happy pulling our 26' 5,500lb travel trailer around the Western US. How long will it take to work out the bugs of the new twin turbo I6. I like my V8, second only to my 6.7 Cummins that I never should have let go. I will say that my 05 TJR 4.0 is a pretty stout motor also, which is my 6th Jeep. I would have kept my Gladiator if it had the 5.7. That's just my opinion of course.
I agree with you. Although the power and torque could be improved, I would never tow 5,500 pounds with the JTM. My UTV and aluminum trailer weigh in at around 2,500 lbs. Throw some cross winds into the mix and forget it. Gets pretty squirrely. 🐿

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I’ll let you drive my BMW X4M twin turbo inline 6, or my M2, you can then let me know what you don’t like.
No, I agree an inline 6 can be a great engine for getting torque, hp and fuel efficiency. The same can be done with the V8 without pushing the threshold.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
I like my diesel currently. But finding parts by aftermarket suppliers is hard. Just looking for an oil filter itself is complicated enough (dealer $100). Then there's the oil search. Dealer is putting T6 but I looked at the bottles in the stores and it doesn't have the chrysler MS 1992 (or something something 1992, don't recall all the digits). So I seen one here where Penzoil is a popular choice. But not on my local store shelves at 8 different auto part stores. So I know they have all the gas ones and oil is easier to come by for them. Looking at their torque ratings for the inline 6 with turbo seems like it makes much more sense. If they did the 4xe with the inline 6 and over 40 miles range (all electric), then I'd be in on that. But I read over and over the EcoDiesel is gone soon, so finding parts will become even harder. I don't like the V6 gasser, I've got a Wrangler with it already.

I had the ole inline 6 in my 89 cherokee (really miss those poke out windows) and it was all power. I did have some bigger issues I couldn't figure out that was causing engine surges. I checked everything and replaced almost everything before meeting my wife and joining the military, then abandoning it at my mothers house. It was later sacrificed to Hurricane Katrina and floated away. But when it was working, it was great. It was fast and torquey enough to get me through some serious trails of mud, sand, downed trees, rocks, and other obstacles. So I figure a return of the inline would suit me fine. However, I'm just a few years before retiring and really don't want a car payment then if I can help it. Especially if prices tilt closer to the $100k mark.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (1-Quart, Case of 6) https://a.co/d/0gyfAvK

68436631AA Fuel Filter Compatible with 2019-2022 Ram 2500 3500 4500 5500 6.7L Diesel Engine,Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Eco Diesel Frame Chassis Mounted,2020-2022 Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator 3.0L V6 Diesel #PF46152 https://a.co/d/dxSDQ4F

Ecodiesel Engine Oil Filter 68507598AA 68498720AA Compatible with Jeep 2020 2021 Wrangler JL,2021 Gladiator,2020 2021 2022 Ram 1500 DT https://a.co/d/iSoE6V2

You can find all your E.D. service needs on Amazon for far less than stealership cost. The Filters appear to be identical to factory replacement filters. Used them on multiple fluid changes without issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Jealous of your garage. Congrats! Looking at an M2 or M240i to park next to my JT.

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Very different cars, and if you want a stick, the M2 is the only choice.
I do not want to a manual. I want the m2 but I won't be able to drive it 1/3 of the year. xdrive is much more practical.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
I do not want to a manual. I want the m2 but I won't be able to drive it 1/3 of the year. xdrive is much more practical.
Ah you can drive an M2 in the snow, but it’s not xdrive. That’s true. That’s why we have the X4M it’s the winter car.

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Ah you can drive an M2 in the snow, but it’s not xdrive. That’s true. That’s why we have the X4M it’s the winter car.
I could not drive an M2 where I live. We gets tons of snow and steep grades. I've had over 450" at my house already this winter. Even with snow tires, it'd be a disaster.
Sponsored