First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Drive with a 70mph tailwind the same direction as the wind. Should have no noise from wind!? :CWL:
Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
OK, to summarize:

- Driving below 75 MPH on an interstate where the speed limit is 75 MPH is just dangerous. Consider most people are going faster than 75 MPH

- As I clearly stated, I know my JT is an aerodynamic brick. I'm not surprised that it has wind noise. I did take a test drive. I'm simply asking if there's a way to mitigate the wind noise for long trips

- Yes, I can hear the stereo at 75 MPH. But there's not much fidelity. If you're playing Justin Bieber or Nickelback, sure, who cares? But I actually listen to quality artists and I want to hear the entire composition. šŸ˜„

So you have the 8.4" alpine and still can't hear the stereo well enough for your liking? Funny jump to Bieber and Nickelback but feigning music snobbery is kinda smooth brain.

I have no trouble hearing the Alpine stereo with the top and doors off, and it's typically somewhat nuanced guitar driven music... I'm a musician so I'm fairly critical of sound systems. With the soft top and doors on it isn't that bad even compared to my Navigator, which is pretty much silent on the highway and has a great surround sound system.

I think the point is if you're having trouble at 75mph with a hard top then there may be an issue with a seal, or you have the base stereo which I understand is underwhelming.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So you have the 8.4" alpine and still can't hear the stereo well enough for your liking? Funny jump to Bieber and Nickelback but feigning music snobbery is kinda smooth brain.

I have no trouble hearing the Alpine stereo with the top and doors off, and it's typically somewhat nuanced guitar driven music... I'm a musician so I'm fairly critical of sound systems. With the soft top and doors on it isn't that bad even compared to my Navigator, which is pretty much silent on the highway and has a great surround sound system.

I think the point is if you're having trouble at 75mph with a hard top then there may be an issue with a seal, or you have the base stereo which I understand is underwhelming.
IMO the 8.4 premium sound system is a bit underwhelming.........

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Donā€™t forget the underside. Noise is noise wether it comes from the top or bottom. I used about 3 cans of Boom mat under the cabin and it helped a bit for sure. Just make sure you use cardboard under your Jeep when spraying.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve heard people say that. It doesnā€™t have quite the nuance of the Revel in the navigator but it seems to fit the jeep well. Of course at the end of the day everyone has their own style. I just canā€™t imagine not being able to hear it clearly.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Lol Iā€™ve had the stock system in every car Iā€™ve ever owns from Scion, Toyota, Chevy and Dodge and Iā€™ve never even thought twice about it being underwhelming.

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just turn your radio up, its a Jeep and when you learn to ignor the wind noise the tires will be making noise.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The speakers between the base and the premium are the same. The premium just as a tiny sub and additional power from the head unit.

no.

• Standard eight speakers
    • Two 2.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
    • Two 4.5-inch front door speakers
    • Two 2.5-inch sound bar speakers
    • Two 4.5-inch sound bar subwoofers
  • Available premium Alpine audio system with nine speakers
    • Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
    • Two 3.5-inch sound bar speakers
    • One 10-inch quad voice coil subwoofer

In addition the base stereo runs 2 speakers per amplifier channel while the alpine has a 12 channel amp.

It's still not mind blowing or anything, but for a Jeep it's more than adequate and better than a good deal of other stock stereos. It's better than the stereo I had in my Lexus (non Mark Levinson) and decent enough next to my Navigator.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Has anyone painted the underside of their roof? I think black, tan, or gray would look better anyway. Bedliner paint would be thicker and more durable. Is there a rubber based paint that may provide a better seal along the windscreen and door edges?

Sponsored

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
no.

• Standard eight speakers
    • Two 2.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
    • Two 2.5-inch sound bar speakers
  • Available premium Alpine audio system with nine speakers
    • Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
    • Two 3.5-inch sound bar speakers
    • One 10-inch quad voice coil subwoofer

In addition the base stereo runs 2 speakers per amplifier channel while the alpine has a 12 channel amp.

It's still not mind blowing or anything, but for a Jeep it's more than adequate and better than a good deal of other stock stereos. It's better than the stereo I had in my Lexus (non Mark Levinson) and decent enough next to my Navigator.
Thanks for the info. Some other person made a thread and pulled speakers out of both - he said they were the same (or extremely similar). From the pictures they are identical though I guess the smallest speakers are slightly bigger.

ent8500

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
IT
Thanks, everyone. I will look into the Hot Headz liners. Sounds like they at least help. Yeah, my JT is my daily driver. My commute typically doesn't involve speeds over 60 so wind noise isn't an issue. Previously, my daily drivers have been a 2000 Cherokee, a 1986 Comanche and a 1969 Cougar. So, it's not like I'm used to Benzo quiet. But the wind noise in my Gladiator is just too much.

I have a 1970 Mustang in which I installed a LOT of sound deadener. It was a big improvement making the interior much more quiet. But I didn't know if that would help with wind noise in a Gladiator. I will also look for areas to install sound deadener in my JT. I like the Noico stuff and it's inexpensive compared to Dynamat.
I used those brands on mine. The butyl and then foam on top of it. Floors roof and back walls. Havenā€™t done the doors, too much effort right now. But a big difference For sure. Still some wind noise around the windows but donā€™t know how to tweak that. Iā€™ve read comments that bug shields keep bugs and rocks off the windshield. So it has to have some effect on the wind flow. Itā€™s next on the list to try.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Iā€™ve read comments that bug shields keep bugs and rocks off the windshield. So it has to have some effect on the wind flow. Itā€™s next on the list to try.
The Mopar deflector has little effect on bugs, and didnā€™t make any difference whatsoever on noise.

Kevin

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Now that this is turning into an audio thread, there is an audio setting on the radio to increase the treble and bass. With my Alpine and the base it's dumping and rattles the cage.

Last edited:

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Try rolling up your windows...

Mine isn't loud at all and I don't have headliners. The only time the noise bothers me is at the car wash when high pressure water is sprayed onto the roof. Setting the radio to 5-7 volume completely negates wind noises. Heck, I've driven a couple hundred miles in a day topless and the sound system was able to easily keep up.
Sponsored