Sponsored

Any Way to Reduce Wind Noise?

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I've had 3 soft top Wranglers before the JT so my expectations are a lot lower than others when it comes to wind noise. That being said my previous daily was a 2015 Silverado LTZ which was whisper quiet so I new it was going to be louder getting back into a Jeep, but I'm really impressed at how much the factory headliner really makes a difference. I've only done one long road trip so far, 16 hours total at highway speeds, but regularly drive highway speeds 70+ and I honestly don't even notice the wind noise at all now after almost 4 months of ownership. Headliners make a very noticeable difference with the sound and the heat too. One thing to note is I don't believe the Hot Head headliners cover as much of the top as the factory Mopar headliner FWIW. The Mopar headliner covers most of the back of the hard top.
Jeep Gladiator Any Way to Reduce Wind Noise? 1632339115548
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Its a Gladiator................if you wanted a quiet ride, should have bought a Tahoe or Escalade.

This complaint is on the same level discussing mpgs LOL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Helpful car buying note................always rent one for a long weekend or week before you buy.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Another thought - while the wind may be the most noticeable source of noise, reducing other contributors to overall dBs in the cabin could have an impact. What tires do you run - could you find quieter options? You also could consider the ArmorLite flooring to reduce tire/road noise. From what folks have said here, they help dampen a lot of noise coming up through the body.

Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
Do y'all not have the 8.4" Alpine stereo? I can hear mine just fine and feel the bass at 75mph with the top and doors off. Not sure how anyone has trouble hearing it with the top and doors on.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
OK, to summarize:

- Driving below 75 MPH on an interstate where the speed limit is 75 MPH is just dangerous. Consider most people are going faster than 75 MPH

- As I clearly stated, I know my JT is an aerodynamic brick. I'm not surprised that it has wind noise. I did take a test drive. I'm simply asking if there's a way to mitigate the wind noise for long trips

- Yes, I can hear the stereo at 75 MPH. But there's not much fidelity. If you're playing Justin Bieber or Nickelback, sure, who cares? But I actually listen to quality artists and I want to hear the entire composition. 😄

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Wax it.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
I tried Hotheads with sound assassin strips. I think it made some difference but as someone else said sounds you like might have an air leak.

Couple of suggestions:

-Check the rubber molding around the door for abnormal gaps.

-Check the door gaps from the outside to see if your door might need adjusting.

-Check windshield bolts to ensure they aren’t loose.

I switched to a Sunrider and amazingly my wind noise was greatly reduced to what I’d expect (not to say there isn’t noise with 1/2 a soft top).

Figured the Sunrider rails helped close a gap I couldn’t find.

My $0.02.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Reading this thread makes me very excited for my 16 hour road trip coming up in 11 days!!! 😂

Wildlifeguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2007 JKU, 1983 CJ8
The more I read your comments, the more I think something must be wrong with your seal or top alignment. Mine without headliners gets a little annoying against a strong wind, but otherwise it's bearable. I just finished a road trip with light winds and could easily hear the radio at mid volume. Not sure I would enjoy more than 6 hours, but its not terrible. The biggest difference I noticed was after a 9 hour drive in our newer expedition, just driving the gladiator down a neighborhood road was louder with engine and tire noise.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The more I read your comments, the more I think something must be wrong with your seal or top alignment. Mine without headliners gets a little annoying against a strong wind, but otherwise it's bearable. I just finished a road trip with light winds and could easily hear the radio at mid volume. Not sure I would enjoy more than 6 hours, but its not terrible. The biggest difference I noticed was after a 9 hour drive in our newer expedition, just driving the gladiator down a neighborhood road was louder with engine and tire noise.
I don't think there's anything wrong with my top. The problem is driving across Kansas and Oklahoma. The wind is almost always HOWLING in those areas and it makes a big difference.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reading this thread makes me very excited for my 16 hour road trip coming up in 11 days!!! 😂
Drove mine Des Moines to Colorado Springs through the prairie winds of KS and NE - the wind was strong and always there through those two states. Yes, it was louder than my Chevy had been but the two are like a mobile home compared to a stick build home with full insulation.
It really wasn't that bad.