Anybody mounted a CB?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
What bracket did you use? I've already ordered the SS one in my post (link above to it) but I need to make sure it works and fits as needed.

Also, what connection at the bracket did you use?

Here's a list of some options: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cb+antenna+stud&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

And cable?

I found this RG8x cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GKZ5Q...olid=2KOBBFSVUL828&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
All of it came with the Quadratec kit I bought. Note: as I mentioned earlier, I did not use the antenna, unadjustable, and too short for the lower channel SWR. Here is a pic.

5YUPmm.jpg
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Nope mounted up like stock, need to move the small body boot to it but that is it
Not to keep bugging, but did you ground your CB radio and multiplexor separately? I get great FM reception, but my SWR is at about 2.4 after attempting to tune the CB earlier today. As it sits now I’ve got both my CB and the multiplexor grounded to the same stud in the passenger kick panel. I figure I’ve either got an issue with my ground or possibly need a different antenna. I figure since you’ve had positive results with a similar setup, I’d ask you if you ran into any snags or have any suggestions.

My setup:
Rugged Ridge splitter system and antenna mount
2’ FireStik
Uniden CMX760 CB

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
All of it came with the Quadratec kit I bought. Note: as I mentioned earlier, I did not use the antenna, unadjustable, and too short for the lower channel SWR. Here is a pic.

5YUPmm.jpg

fyi, In this kit from Quadratec, they give you that silver shielding and they have you route the cable along the frame on the drivers side with the other wires with shielding, you use the supplied stainless zip ties to secure the cable to the other cables attached to the frame. You enter the cab through a rubber grommet that you replace with another supplied rubber grommet that has a snug hole for the cable. You then, lift the carpet underneath the drivers seat and feed all the cable though the new rubber grommet. You make big loops and mostly stuff the cable under the carpet, under the front seat... then you route the appropriate amount though the center console to the front of the shifter.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
For those considering antennas, I got a Wilson because it has a ground wire coming off the antenna. This way I knew it was grounded.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
From an online resource that knows far more about CBs than I do...

GROUND YOUR ANTENNA MOUNT
If you’re using a standard CB antenna (i.e., anything except a no ground plane, or NGP, kit), you’ll need to make sure your antenna mount is solidly grounded to the vehicle’s chassis. A bad ground will result in an un-tunable antenna and sky-high SWR levels.

To ensure a good ground, check that your mount has a direct metal-on-metal connection to your vehicle’s frame. Depending on the location of your mount, paint or powder coating can interfere with this connection. If this occurs, you’ll need to scrape a bit of the paint or powder coating off. You can also run a short grounding strap from the mount to a grounded part of the vehicle, but try to keep the strap as short as possible. If you’re able to properly tune your antenna, you almost certainly have a good ground, as it’s impossible to tune a non-grounded antenna.

More tips here: https://www.rightchannelradios.com/...8428311-elements-of-a-successful-installation

GaryG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP JT Rubicon Bright White, 2008 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Like I already mentioned I got the SWR tuned perfect by grinding it down past the adjustment screw.
When you say this do you mean grinding down below the line in this picture
Capture.JPG

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
@CarolinaGladiator

Here is my setup, midland handheld that has a mounted setup also. I then got A pillar mounts, mounted a Wilson antenna, because I wanted to run the ground myself and Wilson already has a ground wire, ran the antenna cable through the firewall on the passenger side, added a cb mount to the OH Crap bar and there it is. As noted, you get better range with a mounted antenna. I also added some lights :). Hope this helps

I did not want a full size cb, so this works exceptionally all well for me. Take pictures and have fun!

8DE080A0-90DF-462D-9F34-F0FA3BA39C22.jpeg

FEF11B0A-F522-4D3A-9E81-658543EE00B9.jpeg

024789D8-9C07-481C-94D6-7D7F307E2FA5.jpeg
So I realize this is an old post but I had this exact idea for a dual band antenna and I stumbled across this thread looking for inspiration... how was clearance under the bracket and do you have any closer up shots? How has performance been?

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I realize this is an old post but I had this exact idea for a dual band antenna and I stumbled across this thread looking for inspiration... how was clearance under the bracket and do you have any closer up shots? How has performance been?
I will take some picks in the morning. There was specific hardware I used and had no clearance problems. I ran the wire in the electronic box at the top back of the engine bay, but picked up too much interference. Since then I removed the wire and ran it across the top outside of the electronic wire box to the passenger side. If I were to do dual band, I would run the driver in the driver opening of the fire wall and same on the passenger side, through the passenger fire wall. Then come together in the inside of the cab instead. Less interference. Will post picks when I get up.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a few more pictures. One shows the engine bay, the yellow is where the cable runs today, red was inside the wire box that runs across the engine bay. In the box resulted in loud engine noise over the cb. Once moved it’s much better.

I also included the cable and connector, fire ring. It’s a low profile connection. You can also purchase the cable and bolt separately to find different length cables.

CAC42739-7FCC-4D4C-AB9B-4D730E352B49.jpeg

FD67FB82-4118-4CBA-917E-A7AF295B5396.jpeg

E7B3BDC4-50AC-43F4-BBDE-FA8502C9E14A.jpeg

C8D35F60-43FC-4F51-BD7D-927D88440DC0.jpeg

6FDCD1AD-0311-475E-B487-938A9E0304FE.jpeg

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Here are a few more pictures. One shows the engine bay, the yellow is where the cable runs today, red was inside the wire box that runs across the engine bay. In the box resulted in loud engine noise over the cb. Once moved it’s much better.

I also included the cable and connector, fire ring. It’s a low profile connection. You can also purchase the cable and bolt separately to find different length cables.
Dude you rock. I was wondering if I could get both a light and the antenna on top and it's looking like that's going to be rough with most dual band antennas. Wonder if any similar brackets have better spacing or if I could cut a hole further back...

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a few pics from the top with a ruler for scale. There are also places to mount an item on the side. you could do a large item on top and cube lights on the side.

What dual band are you trying to mount? Just curious?

9B44E53C-7580-4A12-AC59-E6CEAB386E95.jpeg

ED4B4222-6B1F-4350-A606-1BDA89854551.jpeg

EF11A83A-8A06-4F85-AF95-8274F197CA1E.jpeg

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Here are a few pics from the top with a ruler for scale. There are also places to mount an item on the side. you could do a large item on top and cube lights on the side.

What dual band are you trying to mount? Just curious?
Radio is a Kenwood D710G, antenna is up in the air... I have a Comet SBB-1NMO which is a short flexible antenna that was going to go on the roof of my Tacoma and a Diamond NR770HB that didn't work out trying to do a bed mount (decided to go with a rack and it physically interfered). Probably going to try a few options to see what works.

I'm not 100% on light pods in that location since I intend to have plenty already but the antenna would be huge. Without a metal roof the other consideration I had was a Breedlove puck mount to the fender or something on a roof rack but there's not a lot of rack options out there at the moment.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Anyone using the topsy JL Fender Mount CB Antenna Bracket ? I just installed one and it has a LOT of fore and Aft rocking. Not as solid as I hoped.
Any comments?
New hardware fender side. M6 x 25mm bolt with a wide head and a thick, wide 3/16" washer (I think... very tight fit for M6 is the goal) and mine was solid as a rock even with a long antenna. Though mine wasn't really unstable before, I just wanted to make sure there would be no movement that would damage the paint if something caught the antenna.
Sponsored

Last edited: