Where will you attach a CB antenna?

oswynn

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Hi, I used the Dune Flag hole in the front bumper for my HF antennas(they are about 8' long, fiberglass and whip), and a lip mount on the tail gate for my VHF/UHF antenna. I just haven't decided on where to put the 4' CB antenna yet.
Sponsored

Tall Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Super Trucker...
If you are installing one for trail.riding purposes, most people have switched to a multi channel handheld radio. Better performance and less to jnstall/tune.
I wouldn't take advice from whoever told you this they are clueless...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic...

If I do anything on 11m it will probably be something mounted on the top of a chase rack... As a long haul trucker of almost 27 years I can tell you not many people out on the highway running CB's anymore. I few of us old school guys still run them but that number is getting smaller I swear. Not many even speak English anymore either, I won't even get started with that rant..

Gunrunr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1969 Corvette
Occupation
Electrical Designer
This is a great thread. I'm thinking of getting a CB for my Mojave and was wondering as well as to where to mount the antenna. I like all the ideas I have seen here. I have a question though for you veteran CB guys. Do national and state park rangers use CBs? The whole reason I want one is for incase of an emergency while camping at primitive sites.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is a great thread. I'm thinking of getting a CB for my Mojave and was wondering as well as to where to mount the antenna. I like all the ideas I have seen here. I have a question though for you veteran CB guys. Do national and state park rangers use CBs? The whole reason I want one is for incase of an emergency while camping at primitive sites.
I used the Rugged Ridge AM/FM/CB Antenna mount. Took a little longer than i wanted to install but looks good.

As for emergency use. If thats why your installing save the money and buy a SPOT. Very few monitor CB anymore. I work M-F on the road and even on the highway chatter is minimal. Unless you find another guy on a trail in the woods you wont hear much.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I wouldn't take advice from whoever told you this they are clueless...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic...

If I do anything on 11m it will probably be something mounted on the top of a chase rack... As a long haul trucker of almost 27 years I can tell you not many people out on the highway running CB's anymore. I few of us old school guys still run them but that number is getting smaller I swear. Not many even speak English anymore either, I won't even get started with that rant..
Except that he isn't wrong. CB radio is being replaced by GMRS as the go to coms for majority of clubs.

Sponsored

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Except that he isn't wrong. CB radio is being replaced by GMRS as the go to coms for majority of clubs.
that's what we used on one of our trips, worked great, used them at work for many years in analog and then digital,

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Yeah I use the same mount, feed line, and power conneciton for my GMRS and CB and I haven't ever needed to swap in my CB since I bought the Gladiator. Everyone is on GMRS at a minimum with one group I went with being ham only.

CB is dying for good reason and I can't wait until I don't need to take it along to trail rides.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I have a question though for you veteran CB guys. Do national and state park rangers use CBs? The whole reason I want one is for incase of an emergency while camping at primitive sites.
No, they use VHF radios. You would need a ham radio to monitor and a modified ham radio to transmit on those frequencies. In an life threatening emergency where no other communication options are available you are permitted to transmit on any frequency to obtain help. I wouldn't depend on a CB for anything other than trail comms with a known group as their range is typically limited by compromised antennas mounted in poor locations.

Gunrunr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1969 Corvette
Occupation
Electrical Designer
No, they use VHF radios. You would need a ham radio to monitor and a modified ham radio to transmit on those frequencies. In an life threatening emergency where no other communication options are available you are permitted to transmit on any frequency to obtain help. I wouldn't depend on a CB for anything other than trail comms with a known group as their range is typically limited by compromised antennas mounted in poor locations.
Thank you. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
Would the dune mount hole be a decent spot to put a nmo mount?

Sponsored

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
Happy New Years Jeep friends. Here is my CB and CB antenna install. Took only a couple of hours and was around $250.

Camojoe12g

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
maintenance
Well I have it installed. Still need to tune to make sure I have a good ground and this will work. It is angled forward a bit but if it works, that is good as it will be much harder for it to smack the hood!!
Antenna1.jpg
Antenna2.jpg
hey I know this is an older post but after doing some looking around this is my favorite no drill option for a CB antenna would you be able to provide a parts list like what size antenna you used and what is the adapter you use going from the bumper hole to the antenna and how long of a cord do I need to go to the interior ect. thanks

OP
OP
Pat2Alaska

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
hey I know this is an older post but after doing some looking around this is my favorite no drill option for a CB antenna would you be able to provide a parts list like what size antenna you used and what is the adapter you use going from the bumper hole to the antenna and how long of a cord do I need to go to the interior ect. thanks
I used a 5’ Firestick antenna. Can’t remember what the adapter was. I think you need about 12’ of cable.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
You may or may not be able to summon help on a park ranger frequency and at the very least you will be an intruder on their frequency and even though it may save your life, your life will change in legal hassles for transmitting on their frequency and getting caught. Even though there are vague rules that seem to allow transmitting almost anywhere in a life or death situation, its not taken lightly and most cases I've heard of resulted in legal problems and fines.

Best advice is get a ham license or one of the satellite based emergency locator products and never think about transmitting on a law enforcement or Govt frequency for help.
Sponsored