Installing a CB radio

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
Does anyone install CB radios anymore? Or are you planning to install one in the JT? If so what are you using or plan on installing? My thought are mounting location for CB and antenna?

Maybe I'm old school as I do have one installed in the TJ. Makes it nice when several have them when wheeling. Also I find myself in places without cell service.

So what's the latest and greatest?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nothing really spectacular going on. Some people that use them a lot are going with HAM radios, but, most people do not have them. For standard CB communication, the easiest are the handheld handsets -- the Midland 75-822 or the Cobra 75 wx st. I have both of them. For the JT, I went with the Midland 75-822 tuned by Bells CB Radio so I could get the extra loudness and Channels and also get the flexibility of using it outside the Gladiator. I added the Quadratec antenna kit for the external antenna (Quadratec JLJT-CBFMK Stainless Steel Fender Mount CB)
and use the 12 volt plug for power. For the mic holder, I am using the JeepUniq ( Midland 75-822 CB Mic Holder Clip-on for Jeep JL Grab).. Easy Peasy, but, not cheap. It works real well, and it is super easy to tear down and put away !

Reactions: Sx3
OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing really spectacular going on. Some people that use them a lot are going with HAM radios, but, most people do not have them. For standard CB communication, the easiest are the handheld handsets -- the Midland 75-822 or the Cobra 75 wx st. I have both of them. For the JT, I went with the Midland 75-822 tuned by Bells CB Radio so I could get the extra loudness and Channels and also get the flexibility of using it outside the Gladiator. I added the Quadratec antenna kit for the external antenna (Quadratec JLJT-CBFMK Stainless Steel Fender Mount CB)
and use the 12 volt plug for power. For the mic holder, I am using the JeepUniq ( Midland 75-822 CB Mic Holder Clip-on for Jeep JL Grab).. Easy Peasy, but, not cheap. It works real well !
That helps a bunch. After posting I noticed a Ham post under communication on this forum inquiring about magnetic Ham antenna mounts. And then it hit me, I need to get caught up with the times. Hand held as you mentioned is a great idea.
I just reminded myself I need to replace my cb antenna on the TJ from my last trail ride.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
CB sucks. Am modulation is horrible for any type of coms.
Get a GMRS or MURs if you don't wanna take the ham test. Either is 100000x better than AM radio.

Reactions: Sx3
OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CB sucks. Am modulation is horrible for any type of coms.
Get a GMRS or MURs if you don't wanna take the ham test. Either is 100000x better than AM radio.
Hell's yeah! Thanks Oscar, someday soon I might become a high tech redneck.

But man there's something to be said about reaching for that old hand mic dangling from its curly cord.

I'm excited about new stuff, thanks again.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Hell's yeah! Thanks Oscar, someday soon I might become a high tech redneck.

But man there's something to be said about reaching for that old hand mic dangling from its curly cord.

I'm excited about new stuff, thanks again.
My VHF UHF still runs the curly cord. Radios are smaller and reach further with less power and smaller antenna. The head units aren't much different than a CB unless you get crazy with it.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My VHF UHF still runs the curly cord. Radios are smaller and reach further with less power and smaller antenna. The head units aren't much different than a CB unless you get crazy with it.
Yeah, I don't have the mics plugged into the ham or GMRS, but they are similar to the CB mic you see hanging in the background. Radios are ham 2M/70CM (General class, callsign KG5LXN), GMRS (callsign WREN924) and CB (just a small junction box for it hidden by the speaker). Plan for antennas is one NMO mount on the hood, and switch antenna to whatever band folks are using on that particular trip. FRS also works, but is awkward to use while driving because can only be used as a handheld radio ...

IMG_20191222_151010.jpg

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Right now just using a handheld for the trail until the market produces good mounts.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Right now just using a handheld for the trail until the market produces good mounts.
JeepUniq has some pretty cool mounts for the grab handle. I really like mine. Note: One mount can be used for 2 units -- both a hand held mic, and another portable. To me, it looks like they did all the designs for almost any combination of units on CAD, then, spit it out on a high end 3D Printer when you order it -- all in the USA. Flat black, matte finish. Nice semi-custom stuff. Not cheap though..

OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepUniq has some pretty cool mounts for the grab handle. I really like mine. Note: One mount can be used for 2 units -- both a hand held mic, and another portable. To me, it looks like they did all the designs for almost any combination of units on CAD, then, spit it out on a high end 3D Printer when you order it -- all in the USA. Flat black, matte finish. Nice semi-custom stuff. Not cheap though..
Wow they have all kinds of mount solutions!

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I mean more for the antenna.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yeah, I don't have the mics plugged into the ham or GMRS, but they are similar to the CB mic you see hanging in the background. Radios are ham 2M/70CM (General class, callsign KG5LXN), GMRS (callsign WREN924) and CB (just a small junction box for it hidden by the speaker). Plan for antennas is one NMO mount on the hood, and switch antenna to whatever band folks are using on that particular trip. FRS also works, but is awkward to use while driving because can only be used as a handheld radio ...

IMG_20191222_151010.jpg
Nice set-up. What overhead rack is that? MPS?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
Happy New Years Jeep friends. Here is my CB and CB antenna install. Took only a couple of hours and was around $250.
Sponsored