First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Has anyone done this? I’ve got a pair of stock halogens I took out of my wife’s JLU. Kicking around the idea of doing a retrofit for my Gladiator instead of buying Oracles
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Has anyone done this? I’ve got a pair of stock halogens I took out of my wife’s JLU. Kicking around the idea of doing a retrofit for my Gladiator instead of buying Oracles
I dont understand... your wife's JLU halogens into your Gladiator?

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
I dont understand... your wife's JLU halogens into your Gladiator?
Yes, Doing a LED or HID projector retrofit in my wife’s stock halogens. I replaced hers with Oracles

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There are many that claim LED bulbs in a Halogen housing are just as good as LED lamp assemblies. It is possible to get real close, with the proper bulbs, but I don't think it is as good.
If you want LED headlights, even though it is more expensive, I think it is better to get complete LED assemblies to install. I would shop around, there are many options other than Oracle.

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
There are many that claim LED bulbs in a Halogen housing are just as good as LED lamp assemblies. It is possible to get real close, with the proper bulbs, but I don't think it is as good.
If you want LED headlights, even though it is more expensive, I think it is better to get complete LED assemblies to install. I would shop around, there are many options other than Oracle.
I’m not talking about putting LED bulbs into halogen housings.. I know the housing isn’t made for the bulbs and they scatter light everywhere. I’m talking about retrofitting the full LED projector into the housing. It was a big thing a few years ago with HID projectors in lots of different vehicles. Completely custom headlights. Doesn’t seem to have caught on with Jeep’s though

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not talking about putting LED bulbs into halogen housings.. I know the housing isn’t made for the bulbs and they scatter light everywhere. I’m talking about retrofitting the full LED projector into the housing. It was a big thing a few years ago with HID projectors in lots of different vehicles. Completely custom headlights. Doesn’t seem to have caught on with Jeep’s though
So, basically taking the whole LED assembly and fitting it inside a Halogen housing. That seems like a lot of work. Personally, I don't see any benefit to doing that, other than the customized look, which you would have to decide it if it worth spending the time on to achieve.

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
So, basically taking the whole LED assembly and fitting it inside a Halogen housing. That seems like a lot of work. Personally, I don't see any benefit to doing that, other than the customized look, which you would have to decide it if it worth spending the time on to achieve.
Yes, but you don’t use a factory LED projector. There are aftermarket parts to use . You do have to disassemble the headlight housing though

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have seen few JK retrofits and maybe a handful of JL/JT retrofits. I would love to do this myself but I don't have the patience or the workshop to do it. If you do end up doing it I would love to see the final results.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Yes it has been done. There is a post somewhere on this forum with a guy detailing his install. It looks to be no more or no less difficult than any other projector retrofit. You could easily fit a pair of Morimoto biLED projectors in there.
I used to do these type of retrofits a lot on motorcycles. The main reason I chose not to bother with the jeep is because there are so many good complete LED retrofit options that are less expensive than the actual retrofit projectors. Even the cheap Amazon 9" led look and perform pretty good

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I retrofitted LED projectors into mine, my thread is below. I did not detail step by step but some issues I had, etc. I have done a few HID retrofits in my previous JKs and using the LED projector was much easier to work with. That was the only reason I went that route. I prefer the output of the HID over LED but am definitely happy with the outcome.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/led-headlight-retrofit.31571/

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Just installing an appropriate LED lamp into the stock housings provides very good results.
Why reinvent the wheel when you can relamp for well under $100, and get very good results?

Kevin

GoDucksJR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
Electrician
Just installing an appropriate LED lamp into the stock housings provides very good results.
Why reinvent the wheel when you can relamp for well under $100, and get very good results?

Kevin
Because even though you think it's similar, it is not. Having an HID or LED projector far surpasses an hid or led bulb in reflector. No comparison.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Because even though you think it's similar, it is not. Having an HID or LED projector far surpasses an hid or led bulb in reflector. No comparison.
I've had both. And while the projector lamp is marginally better, at least the ones I've had, they're not hundreds of dollars better.
I'll keep what I've got.
And I've not been flashed once by oncoming traffic, either.

Kevin

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Yes, Doing a LED or HID projector retrofit in my wife’s stock halogens. I replaced hers with Oracles
Hey Jason,

Not trying to spam here, but if you're satisfied with the Oculus headlights on your wife's Jeep & are purely just looking for a fun project, we also offer the exact Bi-LED Projectors from the Oculus headlights as a separate kit with drivers.

Check them out here: https://www.oraclelights.com/collec...-2-5-70mm-bi-led-35w-retrofit-projectors-pair

Jeep Gladiator Anyone done a LED or HID retrofit? 1637346770115

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I've had both. And while the projector lamp is marginally better, at least the ones I've had, they're not hundreds of dollars better.
I'll keep what I've got.
And I've not been flashed once by oncoming traffic, either.

Kevin
Really depends on the quality of the focusing optic (Glass) used in said projector. This matters almost more than the lighting element itself.

There are a ton of cheaper projector options with not so great optics. Even some OEM headlight projector optics are not of the best quality.

Here's a wall test between the ORACLE Oculus Bi-LED Projector and the OEM JL LED headlight for reference.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone done a LED or HID retrofit? 1637347079196
Sponsored