Sponsored

Anyone ever deal with a Fedex damage claim?

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
So i ordered an awning 2 months ago and i finally recieved it and it arrived damaged. I contacted the vendor and they sent me an email asking for pictures so a claim could be filed with Fedex. My question is, who picks up or keeps this item if fedex pays a claim to the vendor? This is a 270 awning so its expensive and heavy. The vendor said i should expect to see a replacement in 1 to 2 weeks. I thought when you recieve a damaged item you return it to the vendor and they just send you a new one?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The vendor files the claim.

The vendor will give you the details on what to do with the item once their claim is processed.

You may be storing the damaged item for a couple of months.

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
The vendor files the claim.

The vendor will give you the details on what to do with the item once their claim is processed.

You may be storing the damaged item for a couple of months.
Really? I dont have the space to store it for months. Even after i recieve a replacement? Or will they not send a replacement until they recieve the damaged one? But if fedex pays the claim shouldnt fedex pick it up? What happens if fedex denies the claim? I guess i just file a dispute with my credit card company? I purchased a bumper from amazon and it was damaged, they immediately sent me a return label and i recieved a refund and that was the end of it. Im guessing it wasnt insured?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You don't do anything. You don't have a claim against FedEx, the vendor does. You didn't hire FedEx to ship, the vendor did.

As I said, the vendor will tell you what to do. Each vendor is different. They may tell you to destroy and pitch it, they may want it back. FedEx will just eat the loss and could not care less what happens to the damaged freight.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on the Vendor, their policies, the cost of the item, and whether or not there was visible damage at the time of delivery.

To ensure it gets replaced, you'll have to hold onto it until instructed what to do with it.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have stopped buying from any vendor who uses FedUp to ship items. FedUp is so horrendous and unprofessional it's ridiculous. Some of the people that they send to my house look like they just got paroled early from a 20 year sentence. Others drive like Kyle Busch. Yet others will mark my packages "undeliverable" even though they don't even come to my house to attempt a delivery. Just a bunch of clowns.

I don't care if UPS costs more. I'll pay it to get professional and proper service and tracking.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on where you live. I get a lot of stuff delivered by FedEx with very few issues. I had one package flagged as undeliverable, and talked to the service center about it. The package showed up the next day with a Google picture of our house taped to the box.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Depends on where the package originates. We talking inter or intra-state shipment?
You will be required to store and make it available for inspection.
If FedEx pays the shipper, FedEx can take the damaged unit as salvage.
The shipper may take it back.
You might get told to eventually do what you want.
No matter what, get it in writing but do not dispose of it yourself until you are completely satisfied with the outcome.

Any company that touched your shipment can be held liable. (Assuming it originated out of state.)
The seller might contract with a shipper who subs it to a freight broker that then sends it by FedEx. Who carried it the first or last mile?
Could be any number of people involved. Good thing if it came out of state is that liability can be imposed on any one or combination of people. This means deeper pockets.
But we’re only talking about an awning and likely only touched by FedEx.

Rate confirmation sheets
Bill of lading
Carmack
Blah blah
Cargo can be a pain.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
on bigger items that are about $1500 max, I've had the company tell me to keep the damaged item. Depends on the cost to ship and their ability to (re)sell the item. For example, I had a 77" tv from costco come via freight. It had some dead pixels. The TV was the outgoing model, no longer for sale. They told me to keep and sent a new one.
Same thing happened with my tool box. There was a dent on the side. They offered me a discount to keep the dented one, i said I wanted an undented one at full price....Same thing. Got to keep both.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Everyone needs to be very careful when shipping with FedEx or UPS. When you insure a shipment with either, all they are insuring is that the item will arrive, not that it will arrive in undamaged condition!
I found this out the hard way.
Kevin

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I had to do a damage claim on a surfboard

the shaper wrote a letter after I started the claim to attest to his packing skills and how often they shipped, and that the damage payout could be paid out to me

it was a painless process and not that slow
Sponsored