Sponsored

anyone have any experience with these snatch blocks?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Was looking around for something I could use around home, and even keep in the truck. Could be handy moving things around home, loading cars onto trailers and so on - but also to have in case I get off-road around here (which would likely be the result of an accident as there are no trails around here)

https://www.amazon.com/SSACK-Snatch-Pulley-Winches-Synthetic/dp/B08CSFGDMZ
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks ok have you tried one yet?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks ok have you tried one yet?
I went ahead and bought one. I like the looks of it, and it's light. Have yet to try it. I haven't yet needed to pull or move anything big - next year that will likely change.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
As small as that is, you won't be moving anything big with it. and it's not rated very high with a WLL of only 6500 lbs. Would be nice for an ATV sized winch. Didn't see a sheave size. it might be too small for your typical 9000 lb winch with synthetic rope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As small as that is, you won't be moving anything big with it. and it's not rated very high with a WLL of only 6500 lbs. Would be nice for an ATV sized winch. Didn't see a sheave size. it might be too small for your typical 9000 lb winch with synthetic rope.
Plenty big enough for the rope in my 12,000 Badland Apex winch. It will handle rope up to 16mm which is a bit over half an inch.
Looking at the pic of the one you have - this one I have actually looks larger. I'll have to grab a pic of it later.

Keep in mind I live in Iowa - I don't need to lift 10,000 pounds straight up.
Even at 6500 pounds, that's more than enough to lift a JT straight up off the ground.

i have one of these. Very nice US made snatch block and light weight.

TRE snatch block
That's over-kill for me here in Iowa considering there's nothing so extreme around that would require even my 12,000 pound winch, and the price is extreme for my needs. It's likely to sit in the back behind the seat for 15 years. It's more of a just in case some winter, or using it to load and unload cars, lift and move things around the acreage. $150 for one snatch block is extreme for my use.

No offense, but I no longer judge based on where something is made. Long story but I've been burned by some US made products in the past 20 years. The world has changed.

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
If whatever you're pulling is stuck in mud, behind a rock, a ledge, etc...those can all cause you to pull more than the vehicle weighs. I'd say that is too lite-duty of a snatch block. Seems more suited for side-by-sides and smaller pulls.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If whatever you're pulling is stuck in mud, behind a rock, a ledge, etc...those can all cause you to pull more than the vehicle weighs. I'd say that is too lite-duty of a snatch block. Seems more suited for side-by-sides and smaller pulls.
True, the "vacuum" of mud is crazy strong, anyone who has waded into a river fishing knows you may not exit with your boots no matter how strong you are - but to find rocks and ledges like most of you guys experience, I have to do several hours of driving to get there.
I won't be seeing situations like those. Not for a long time, anyway.

I'm prepping more for what you find here, ditches, snow, etc. at this point.
Later on I'll upgrade. But still I'd never get into anything that would require a $160 piece, not with this truck and 33" tires.

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
True, the "vacuum" of mud is crazy strong, anyone who has waded into a river fishing knows you may not exit with your boots no matter how strong you are - but to find rocks and ledges like most of you guys experience, I have to do several hours of driving to get there.
I won't be seeing situations like those. Not for a long time, anyway.

I'm prepping more for what you find here, ditches, snow, etc. at this point.
Later on I'll upgrade. But still I'd never get into anything that would require a $160 piece, not with this truck and 33" tires.
Unless you're using it to redirect a pull, then the only time you would use a snatch block is when the regular winch isn't sufficient - and at that point you're already exceeding the WLL of the snatch block.

Don't want to see one of those breaking on ya so stay safe regardless of which direction you go :)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No offense, but I no longer judge based on where something is made. Long story but I've been burned by some US made products in the past 20 years. The world has changed.
:like: I ordered a top name US made H.D. vice for my shop years back, I finally got the damn thing in mounted it on bench and clamped.a simple piece of copper tubing to make some H.D. copper lugs when I tightened it down the vice broke. The manufacturer said it was abuse and wouldn't replace it.... WTF!! I ended up getting a H.F. vice doing the same thing and have abused the heck out of a few since with out failure "yet" all of my H.F. and others cost me less than the one did in first place that failed on first use.

i have one of these. Very nice US made snatch block and light weight.

TRE snatch block
Wow that's a proud "snatch block"
I've got a old Warn one and few other one's . I've been using the Warn one for a long time it's not a soft shackle useable.
The WLL on shackles and snatch blocks is a interesting thing that is 1/5 of the failure "tested" point. Now if you shock load them it's "more" possible. Back to the old Warn snatch block I have (and a lot of others) the shackle mounting point is a large hole and if you see it being elongated you take it out of service for failure by overloading. I've got to watch load testing of some equipment in past, a example: good jack stands loaded to 5 times the rated load.

Last edited:

Sponsored

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
There is a good way to calculate the general load when stuck in mud, sand, and snow. Rock crawling is a bit different.

Up to the wheel hubs or center line of wheel is the weight of the vehicle plus contents.

Wheel hub or center line of wheel up to fender is two times the weight of the vehicle and contents.

Over the fender is three times the weight of the vehicle and contents.

Reading the description of the snatch block doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Sounds like they had some issues in the past, but they have addressed them to a point.

• The Roller is Made of new Material,so it"s Strength is very good,it is safe using ananti-loosening Nut,and a high-strength Bolt with heat treatment is used.
  • Now this model provides better quality snatch blocks than the previous model. The surface of the previous model was rough, but the current model is smooth by painting with a very good surface treatment. And replaced with high-strength shank bolts, a little more Provides improved performance.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Jeep Gladiator anyone have any experience with these snatch blocks? 611izSrhN8L._AC_SL1500_~2

As long as it doesn't break and hit you in the ssack you will be fine, but that dialog isn't a confidence builder

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard