Sponsored

Anybody have experience with Superwinch?

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
I am looking to get a winch for my Gladiator. I want a quality winch, but I'm not willing to dop $1,500 - $2,000 on a Warn ZEON. I have looked at all the ones guys mention here and I really don't like the looks of the Harbor Freight winch. I like the look of the SmittyBilt, but it seems there may be quality issues with some of those. I like the Warn, but unless you're getting the mostly made in USA models, it seems they are just another cheap Chinese made product. Then I found Superwinch. Do any of you have any experience with this brand? This Tiger Shark at $1,055 seems like it might fit the bill, a little pricey but not crazy expensive. I like that the control box is off to the side also, as to not block the trailcam view. I just have never heard of Superwinch and I'm not sure if this is a good winch or not?
https://superwinch.com/collections/...rwinch-tiger-shark-11500-sr-12v-1511201-winch

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy of mine uses a Superwinch tiger shark on one of his car haulers, that winch is probably 8yrs old and still working. If I had to guess it probably gets used at least 8 times a month at least for the last 8yrs. He has about 4 or 5 used car dealerships in the area that do pretty well. I thought about getting one but for the price I paid for the Harbor Freight Apex 12000lb winch and the fact that my old Harbor freight winch got used on a pretty regular basis over the 5yrs I had it on my jku and was still working when I sold my JKU, led me to purchase the Apex.

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
I am looking to get a winch for my Gladiator. I want a quality winch, but I'm not willing to dop $1,500 - $2,000 on a Warn ZEON. I have looked at all the ones guys mention here and I really don't like the looks of the Harbor Freight winch. I like the look of the SmittyBilt, but it seems there may be quality issues with some of those. I like the Warn, but unless you're getting the mostly made in USA models, it seems they are just another cheap Chinese made product. Then I found Superwinch. Do any of you have any experience with this brand? This Tiger Shark at $1,055 seems like it might fit the bill, a little pricey but not crazy expensive. I like that the control box is off to the side also, as to not block the trailcam view. I just have never heard of Superwinch and I'm not sure if this is a good winch or not?
https://superwinch.com/collections/...rwinch-tiger-shark-11500-sr-12v-1511201-winch

Thanks!
I had one on my JK. I just tried to install it on my JT with Rubicon steel bumper. The offset solenoid box is in the way and hits the side of the bumper when you put on. I’m trying to figure out where I want to mount the box. I’ve ordered a bracket for a Warn that may let me mount it above the spool, but it’s backordered and I do not know if it will work anyway. Alternatively, I will mount in the engine bay next to the fuse box. Will need a wireless controller at that point. I kinda like that it is completely recessed now. This is the tiger shark 11500.
Jeep Gladiator Anybody have experience with Superwinch? E7E9423C-BAA2-460F-A8E8-C8A962B0037D

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
A buddy of mine uses a Superwinch tiger shark on one of his car haulers, that winch is probably 8yrs old and still working. If I had to guess it probably gets used at least 8 times a month at least for the last 8yrs. He has about 4 or 5 used car dealerships in the area that do pretty well. I thought about getting one but for the price I paid for the Harbor Freight Apex 12000lb winch and the fact that my old Harbor freight winch got used on a pretty regular basis over the 5yrs I had it on my jku and was still working when I sold my JKU, led me to purchase the Apex.
Jeeperjamie,

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for - thanks!

It seems many people like the Apex winch, and the price is definitely attractive! I read where Harbor Freight offers a full replacement extended warranty super cheap too, that's nice also! I wonder if I could relocate the large control box on top with the BADLAND badging on it? If I could do that and tuck the whole thing down inside my steel Rubicon bumper I might consider it.

Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I had one on my JK. I just tried to install it on my JT with Rubicon steel bumper. The offset solenoid box is in the way and hits the side of the bumper when you put on. I’m trying to figure out where I want to mount the box. I’ve ordered a bracket for a Warn that may let me mount it above the spool, but it’s backordered and I do not know if it will work anyway. Alternatively, I will mount in the engine bay next to the fuse box. Will need a wireless controller at that point. I kinda like that it is completely recessed now. This is the tiger shark 11500.
Jeep Gladiator Anybody have experience with Superwinch? E7E9423C-BAA2-460F-A8E8-C8A962B0037D
ciarraikerry,

I love how that tucks down into the bumper completely! So clean! That's what I want and that's the same bumper I have.

It's good to know that the solenoid interferes with the bumper. It'll be interesting to see how your Warn bracket works for relocating the box above the spool. I wouldn't mind relocating into the engine compartment though That would be super clean, but you'd need to do a wireless controller then I guess? I wonder what all is involved in switching to a wireless controller? Might be worth it for that super clean, almost invisible look.

Thanks much!

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Harbor Freight and Smittybilt are both crap. A friend of mine in the industry quotes failure/return rates as high as 50% with Smittybilt winches. Buyer beware.

SUPERWINCH on the other hand makes some really well thought out winches like the Tigershark and the Talon.

I have a new Talon sitting here that’s going on soon.

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Harbor Freight and Smittybilt are both crap. A friend of mine in the industry quotes failure/return rates as high as 50% with Smittybilt winches. Buyer beware.

SUPERWINCH on the other hand makes some really well thought out winches like the Tigershark and the Talon.

I have a new Talon sitting here that’s going on soon.
Thanks, NOOB!

I'd love to see your Talon once installed.

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
Keep buying these ones guys, helps keep the cost of the Smittybilt ones down :like:

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
ciarraikerry,

I love how that tucks down into the bumper completely! So clean! That's what I want and that's the same bumper I have.

It's good to know that the solenoid interferes with the bumper. It'll be interesting to see how your Warn bracket works for relocating the box above the spool. I wouldn't mind relocating into the engine compartment though That would be super clean, but you'd need to do a wireless controller then I guess? I wonder what all is involved in switching to a wireless controller? Might be worth it for that super clean, almost invisible look.

Thanks much!
The wireless controller should be no problem. Like you, I’m more inclined to put the box under the hood. I have already found room for it. Will just need to Make a simple bracket, extend the leads and get a wireless controller.

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
I just stumbled upon this Quadratec Q Series Stealth winch.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch/12000lb-synthetic-rope
Does anyone have experience with this winch? Looks kinda cool and seems to have far fewer negative reviews than any of the other similarly priced winches...

Looks like it fits quite nicely in the Rubicon steel bumper too :like:

Jeep Gladiator Anybody have experience with Superwinch? 1594358973509
Bet you a dollar that’s a rebranded winch. Possibly made in the same Chinesium factory as Smittybilt and Harbor Freight.

No thanks.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
The wireless controller should be no problem. Like you, I’m more inclined to put the box under the hood. I have already found room for it. Will just need to Make a simple bracket, extend the leads and get a wireless controller.
Wireless controllers are a known source of parasitic draw. Make sure you unplug them when not in use.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
If you read all the way down into the Q&A section, the Q series winch is indeed made in China. But it’s designed in Pennsylvania!

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Bet you a dollar that’s a rebranded winch. Possibly made in the same Chinesium factory as Smittybilt and Harbor Freight.

No thanks.
Sure, it's made in China, but what winch isn't? What's a good affordable winch that's made in USA from all American made components?
Sponsored