Sponsored

Cover that winch, or let the elements have their way with it?

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I measured mine before I researched it on Amazon, typed in the length when I was searching, and went from there. Mine is a little wider than the winch because I wanted it to fit loosely (above the elastic) to try and encourage drying any condensation. With my bumper, it fits pretty tight to the grill and I think the radiator heat helps with that, too.
Sponsored

KevinM60

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CAD/CAM
I keep mine covered on the road to keep out dirt and sun but even then things will get in under the cover through the fairlead. I cover the whole Gladiator while in the driveway during the week and started taking the winch cover off then to let anything dry that got wet at the car wash before the weekly storage.

OP
OP
JAsh1967

JAsh1967

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Anyone else get a bit anxious if you drop your Jeep off for someone to work on it, like swapping out the bumper and installing your winch? :)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have been using a cheapie winch cover I bough on Amazon since I first installed it on my first Gladiator in 2019. Held up fine for close to 4 years before just recently replacing it with another one before winter. Covers my "ShittyBuilt" 12K winch just fine with no trapped moisture or corroding underneath it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLVM5GC/

Jeep Gladiator Cover that winch, or let the elements have their way with it? 20230526_153250

pharmfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
retired
Installed WARN winch a couple of years back, before winter I added a vinyl Warn winch cover, your
question is a good one. I think by their very nature winches expect to get wet, dirty etc and should
receive routine maintenance, synthetic line should be protected from Sun (UV) damage. At the
least they should last the life of the vehicle (be repairable) we hope. Expensive option to ignore.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Monday my winch (and bumper) are getting installed and I'm going to be picking up some of the accessories one might need for winching. Such as D-Ring shackles and a rope dampener, but I'm debating a winch cover. The winch is the Harbor Freight Badlands 12K w/synthetic rope and from what I'm reading it sounds like UV (IE, that big, bright yellow ball that's in the sky sometimes) is not friendly to synthetic lines. Further, I'm in Michigan, which means this time of year, plenty of snow which I'm sure given enough time will not be friendly to the winch or line.

So, considering we're talking a lousy $30 or so, cover it? What's your preference?
I park in the garage so I haven't worried about it. On my CJ-5 which was always parked outside I had a cover.

OP
OP
JAsh1967

JAsh1967

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Well, it *JUST* fits in the garage with the winch guard hoop. Without the hoop I'd have more room than I used to, so for now, winch cover is on hold.

OP
OP
JAsh1967

JAsh1967

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
You know what, looking at just how MUCH of the winch line is exposed to the elements when mounted in a Metalcloak bumper?
I kinda think a cover might be unneeded...
Jeep Gladiator Cover that winch, or let the elements have their way with it? ExposedWinchLine
Sponsored