Sponsored

anyone have the Amp Research running boards?

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
I got a set. Installed them. I did not like the way to looked or worked. They looked clunky and like pontoons. And move roughly and very noisy. I returned the set.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
OP
OP
DirtySaylor

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you do buy them... get a warranty protection... period. They have small motors and moving parts that will be installed on the outside of a vehicle.
Small motors/moving parts is a turn off! lol. Thanks for the feedback guys

Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
I know it looks like you've decided against buying them, but I was also talked out fo buying them at my local off road shop.

My sales guy said they are very problematic and most of the sets he has installed have had problems. He also said that the shop has stopped ordering them and no longer installs them anymore.

zumwalt

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have them and love them, but to each his own. As long as your expectations are in check, I think they're a solid purchase.They aren't rock rails. I wouldn't do highly technical wheeling with them. They do keep me from looking like an idiot while climbing into my JTR. I'm a few months into ownership with zero issues.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I originally bought them. The wiring is somewhat complicated... not just a harness. Because of that, I had a shop install. They messed up the wiring, and ended up having to pay a Jeep electrician to go through the wiring for several days to fix them. Found out Jeep has voided multiple warranties over these guys. Also, the Jeep’s body tapers just slightly, and these steps don’t follow the curve. Look silly.

I ultimately landed on the RSE step sliders. They look OEM. The pics don’t do them justice. Their wiring is isolated from the rest of the Jeep, as well.

if you call them, they may cut you a deal. They did for me.

OP
OP
DirtySaylor

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I originally bought them. The wiring is somewhat complicated... not just a harness. Because of that, I had a shop install. They messed up the wiring, and ended up having to pay a Jeep electrician to go through the wiring for several days to fix them. Found out Jeep has voided multiple warranties over these guys. Also, the Jeep’s body tapers just slightly, and these steps don’t follow the curve. Look silly.

I ultimately landed on the RSE step sliders. They look OEM. The pics don’t do them justice. Their wiring is isolated from the rest of the Jeep, as well.

if you call them, they may cut you a deal. They did for me.
Yeah, read enough bad things about this product to steer clear.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, read enough bad things about this product to steer clear.
FWIW...I have a set of the Amp Research Powerstep XL and I really like them. They aren't rock rails but do have a housing they retract into and look a bit better than just the step by itself (subjective - my opinion). I installed them myself (with a buddy) and it was not easy but not impossible either. As has been mentioned, the wiring was tough but mainly just difficult to get to. I hadn't heard of the loss of warranty issues - that would suck - may be a dealer specific problem?

I chose these over the RSE mainly due to the size of the step. The larger step was easier for my wife to use. Also, they were significantly cheaper than the RSE - ~$500 less and I don't think I will need the hardcore rock sliding capability.

If you need rock sliders, these aren't for you but if you want a solid, retractable step, these are good. If you're not confident in your mechanical skills, definitely arrange for an install.

Good luck!

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
FWIW...I have a set of the Amp Research Powerstep XL and I really like them. They aren't rock rails but do have a housing they retract into and look a bit better than just the step by itself (subjective - my opinion). I installed them myself (with a buddy) and it was not easy but not impossible either. As has been mentioned, the wiring was tough but mainly just difficult to get to. I hadn't heard of the loss of warranty issues - that would suck - may be a dealer specific problem?

I chose these over the RSE mainly due to the size of the step. The larger step was easier for my wife to use. Also, they were significantly cheaper than the RSE - ~$500 less and I don't think I will need the hardcore rock sliding capability.

If you need rock sliders, these aren't for you but if you want a solid, retractable step, these are good. If you're not confident in your mechanical skills, definitely arrange for an install.

Good luck!
FWIW, I didn’t think I would really need the slideraspect either.
However, I did the Jeep Academy thing yesterday, on some fairly mild obstacles, and the gladiator’s wheel base had me coming into contact several times around the middle of the vehicle. The RSE sliders werehardly even slightly scuffed, but I imagine the AMP boards would’ve dented