Sponsored

Anyone know where the SIM card is for the Wifi?

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
I have unlimited data through TMo, and its actually much faster and stronger here in NYC vs. all the other carriers (well, except Staten Island... but lets be real, SI is like its own country). I really wish it was 5G capable.

Which begs the question... In this day and age of 5G/UC, does anyone really use/avail themselves of 4G LTE these days???
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The SIM card is buried inside the head unit. No, you cannot put your Tmobile SIM in and make it work.

4G is still in use everywhere. Not every site has, or will be, upgraded to 5G. Just having a 5G phone doesn't mean it is always in 5G mode.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Only city folk use 5G. I am currently in Seattle for major surgery and only got 5g access maybe half a dozen times. back at my home I rarely even get 4g

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just stick with using one of our phones as a hotspot.

Understand about 5G. Where I'm at all the carriers blanket the area in 5G.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just stick with using one of our phones as a hotspot.

Understand about 5G. Where I'm at all the carriers blanket the area in 5G.
That makes more sense than paying AT&T for service, especially if you have an unlimited data plan. It also doesn't require the truck being on just to get Wi-Fi for the devices.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Only city folk use 5G. I am currently in Seattle for major surgery and only got 5g access maybe half a dozen times. back at my home I rarely even get 4g
that's not 100% true. low band 5g has a ton of coverage. wideband 5g (the super-fast stuff) is what's difficult to access. The 1gb/s to 4gb/s download speeds verizon was advertising in the beginning is wideband, and based on estimates would require 60,000 mini-towers just to cover NYC completely.

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes more sense than paying AT&T for service, especially if you have an unlimited data plan. It also doesn't require the truck being on just to get Wi-Fi for the devices.
Totally. Besides, not like I need the bandwidth while I'm driving. The kids can use it for whatever they want to stream...

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great point... eSims seem to be becoming the standard.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I wonder how long, if ever, vehicle infotainment systems will be able to be 'unlocked' to use with any carrier, or if they will continue restrictions to only be with one company. It's probably in a contract between the two companies somewhere.... But it would be cool if one could choose their carrier. Some work better in some areas than others.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how long, if ever, vehicle infotainment systems will be able to be 'unlocked' to use with any carrier, or if they will continue restrictions to only be with one company. It's probably in a contract between the two companies somewhere.... But it would be cool if one could choose their carrier. Some work better in some areas than others.
These are carrier locked to AT&T as they provide the communication path between the head unit and the mothership. Carrier roaming agreements allow it to work wherever there is a cellular signal, but service quality varies. You'll never be able to choose your carrier for the infotainment system, unless the government steps in and mandates it.
Sponsored