Sponsored

Anyone regear a diesel gladiator rubicon with 37's?

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Ive had 37s since 27 miles on the clock.. I regularly see 25ish + or - on a highway trip on flatter terrain. Today on a road where the speed limit was 45mph she was showing 31 mpg for about 45 miles!

My YJ is 2500lb lighter and has smaller tires, but gets 10-14 mpg with the 4.0!
How is no one calling this out lol You are not getting 31mpg with 37s. Maybe going downhill with a tailwind and you are looking at the live mpg number which means diddly. I’m a bit skeptical that you are even get 25mpg with 37s.
Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
How is no one calling this out lol You are not getting 31mpg with 37s. Maybe going downhill with a tailwind and you are looking at the live mpg number which means diddly. I’m a bit skeptical that you are even get 25mpg with 37s.
I agree. I'm averaging around 18.5mpg with the diesel rubicon...

Forgot to mention that it's stock. But I do drive a bit faster than the average person though...

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Don't take my word for it.......Slap on some 37s and see for yourself!

Today's back country 131 mile loop through/around Capitol Reef NP netted 22.1 mpg with 65 miles of off road and numerous mountain passes with 8% and 10% grades.

I dont care either way as I don't own my vehicles for the fuel economy. They are tools to take me places many people can't go. Range is a factor, so if fuel economy is low, larger tank it a must.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice. My truck should be ready to pick up in the next two weeks, it’ll be on a 2 inch lift and 37’s. I am excited for the 650 miles home and now even more knowing fuel won’t be as bad.
I see you are in NV.......don't expect to see 25mpg with the speed limits and wind you guys have!

I was on a trip to complet the Nobles trail this spring and almost didn't make it to Lovelock for fuel! I had calculated plenty of headroom for that leg of the trip, but 75mph towing even the small trailer into a headwind killed my numbers. I ran well past the estimated range remaining and put over 20 gals into the 18.3 gal tank at the fuel stop!

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Nice. My truck should be ready to pick up in the next two weeks, it’ll be on a 2 inch lift and 37’s. I am excited for the 650 miles home and now even more knowing fuel won’t be as bad.
me too and not knowing how good it was stock will keep making me lose sleep o well lol

Sponsored

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
I have had 37 for 28K mi.. 4.10. All seems great. 16MPG +- Be careful with your wheel and tire selections. A BFG 37 weighs a lot less than a Nitto. And a Method 316 weighs less than a Black Rhino. It makes a difference.

n8leav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Eco
I’ve been running 37s for about 5k miles. I will tell you, there is absolutely no reason to regear the diesel. I’m averaging 20 mpg in the city and easily get 25-30mpg highway. Has tons of torque and stays in 8th all the time. I personally think it’s perfect.

Edit: it’s just under 20 (19.2 as of rn). Also live in Phoenix and we rarely have wind, so your mileage may vary.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
me too and not knowing how good it was stock will keep making me lose sleep o well lol
I remember my 3 month wait.......it showed up 3 days before my 2 week trip. I had to drive 1600 miles round trip, bring it home, and build it so I could be ready to leave with the group. Good times.....

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have had 37 for 28K mi.. 4.10. All seems great. 16MPG +- Be careful with your wheel and tire selections. A BFG 37 weighs a lot less than a Nitto. And a Method 316 weighs less than a Black Rhino. It makes a difference.
Method 313 on mine. It was the lightest wheel I could find, but I did pay for it. My Cooper Stt Pros are right in the middle with regards to weight at 75lb

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Another gasser in our diesel forum, admin need to make permissions for diesel area

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my 37's on for about a week now. I also am seeing about 25 mpg in MD around the Baltimore area.

The take off is where you average gets shredded. Once you get up to speed, I haven't noticed much a performance drop.

I have been wondering about whether or not people regear the diesel...but I guess I need to accept that you dont get a jeep, and put it on 37's, and expect it to run like a demon.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I've had my truck for about two weeks now with 37s. I am averaging 20MPG in now mostly city driving with plenty of Zip. 4Lo is something you only use when you are climbing a 90 degree incline, otherwise it'll feel too tall.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, doesn't have a diesel.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I have had my 37's on for about a week now. I also am seeing about 25 mpg in MD around the Baltimore area.

The take off is where you average gets shredded. Once you get up to speed, I haven't noticed much a performance drop.

I have been wondering about whether or not people regear the diesel...but I guess I need to accept that you dont get a jeep, and put it on 37's, and expect it to run like a demon.
I agree, but I feel some of that is the EPA tune. If from a stop I stomp the skinny pedal it just won't go. If I do it about 5-10mph there is plenty of pick up and go. Every pre-computer nerfed diesel I've driven didn't care if you were running 31's or 40's - it just flat went.

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, but I feel some of that is the EPA tune. If from a stop I stomp the skinny pedal it just won't go. If I do it about 5-10mph there is plenty of pick up and go. Every pre-computer nerfed diesel I've driven didn't care if you were running 31's or 40's - it just flat went.
That seems to be a common complaint. I would love to see more power!
Sponsored