Sponsored

Anyone remove and leave off the engine cover?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I agree. After 50 years the wire harness is due to be replaced. The original wire harness did not have a central fuse box on these old trucks. Replacing the wiring harness with a universal 12 circuit harness is a time consuming task that I plan to do in the near future. Have you ever re-wired a truck PDiddy?
I helped my brother rewire an old Toyota Land Cruiser. Then our husky pulled half of it out over night.

Other than that, I have wired countless RC cars and computers. So I am no expert. My comment was supposed to be joking, I hope didnā€™t offend at all. That wasnā€™t my intention.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove and leave off the engine cover? 4C6C531B-6B65-4ECF-9A43-D40F460CF51C
Sponsored

Last edited:

Easyover

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜71 J2000 Gladiator, ā€˜95 YJ, ā€˜20 Gladiator Sport S, ā€˜80 Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Project Manager
I helped my brother rewire an old Toyota Land Cruiser. Then our husky pulled half of it out over night.

Other than that, I have wired countless RC cars and computers. So I am no expert. My comment was supposed to be joking, I hope didnā€™t offend at all. That wasnā€™t my intention.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove and leave off the engine cover? 4C6C531B-6B65-4ECF-9A43-D40F460CF51C
No worries, no offense taken. I do genuinely agree and want to re-wire so I can add throttle body fuel injection and A/C. Worthless to try on 50 year old wiring. I love doing mechanical work, always have. Electrical/wiring a distant second. Paint/bodywork, lets just say I avoid it like the plague!
Iā€™ve dabbled in a couple R/Cā€™s myself!
Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove and leave off the engine cover? A3DE345F-2DE6-4AAE-AA59-5400585F9502

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
No worries, no offense taken. I do genuinely agree and want to re-wire so I can add throttle body fuel injection and A/C. Worthless to try on 50 year old wiring. I love doing mechanical work, always have. Electrical/wiring a distant second. Paint/bodywork, lets just say I avoid it like the plague!
Iā€™ve dabbled in a couple R/Cā€™s myself!
Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove and leave off the engine cover? A3DE345F-2DE6-4AAE-AA59-5400585F9502
great paint job on that body. Looks aged.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Spaghetti, rust, overall just a mess. Reminds me how much old cars sucked.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
The engine is uglier than the cover. There are a bunch of carefully engineered airflow controls built into this thing. It may or may not play into optimal cooling. Having open air is often worse for cooling than having controlled, directed air. This is common with computers, if you leave the cover off.
That is my thinking. Manufactures usually don't spend money on things unless the are needed or wanted. Doubt they would go through all the design on something in the engine bay that is only seen by mechanics just for logo placement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Perley astitcs. The average consumer would rather see this under the hood. Helps sell.
I'm a gear head. I want to see the motor. No mater how ugly it might look it's better than looking at a stupid cover for us mechanical guys/gals.
I personally enjoy looking at it. Yes it's not a normal V8 that were all use too drueling over but it's my new Jeep pickup motor and I love looking at it.

To each his own. Just asking if anyone removed it (OP) not why your didn't.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Spaghetti, rust, overall just a mess. Reminds me how much old cars sucked.
To each their own. I'd love to have an old J-truck to tinker with.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
How bad is it for mud and dirt to get on top of what the cover covers? How hard is it to clean off? I get you can pressure wash the engine bay, but still want to keep some parts drier than others (ie alternator)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
To each their own. I'd love to have an old J-truck to tinker with.
Me too. Both things can be true. I'd love a 60's car as a toy, but never as a DD.

Space Invader

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Vehicle Showcase
But dealers dont know anything, as we learn on this forum. Some dealers are saying the regular sport tows 7650
When I picked up my Gladiator at the dealer, the dude pointed out the "419" embossed into the truck bed plastic cover and told me that I was buying the 419th Gladiator built.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
When I picked up my Gladiator at the dealer, the dude pointed out the "419" embossed into the truck bed plastic cover and told me that I was buying the 419th Gladiator built.
Ridiculous. I would believe anything else he told you either.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Just in case anyone wanted to know what an original Gladiator should look like under the hood
Dammit.
My FSJ truck is a '72: the first year they officially stopped calling them Gladiators.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
But what are the functional uses of the cover beside sound and aesthetics?
Since I did not see it mentioned I will point out that I read that engine covers appeared when European pedestrian collision regulations came out.

From this link: " In addition, a plastic engine cover serves to soften the impact, as does increased space between the hood and the cover."

It was the same time all hoods got bulgy for the same reason. No hood is too close to the engine so the ped does not hit his head on engine block.

That said I also believe the aesthetics, anti-tinker, and maybe, barely, the sound absorption arguments.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Since I did not see it mentioned I will point out that I read that engine covers appeared when European pedestrian collision regulations came out.

From this link: " In addition, a plastic engine cover serves to soften the impact, as does increased space between the hood and the cover."

It was the same time all hoods got bulgy for the same reason. No hood is too close to the engine so the ped does not hit his head on engine block.

That said I also believe the aesthetics, anti-tinker, and maybe, barely, the sound absorption arguments.
What about keeping mud/dirt off the engine? I've found mud on the inside of my hood, I would assume that without the cover the mud/dirt on the engine cover would also get onto the engine, but that isn't really a problem?

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
What about keeping mud/dirt off the engine? I've found mud on the inside of my hood, I would assume that without the cover the mud/dirt on the engine cover would also get onto the engine, but that isn't really a problem?
Nahh, its not the type of cover that seals off mud and dirt, it just perches on top to create an extra cushion for someone's skull. Plus, do you run with the hood off? How much mud gets in there? ;)
Sponsored