Sponsored

Anyone tow a offroad/adv/camper trailer with the tailgate down?

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Just like the title says, I'm wondering if this is workable, or a terrible idea? I've got an urge to go trailer shopping sometime in the next year, but my whole idea is to use the trailer as a basecamp setup for dirt bikes. To be able to take the dirtbikes, you need to have the tailgate down.

Is hauling bikes like that, and towing one of the adv type trailers (Offgrid, Patriot, Boreas, etc) a terrible idea? Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I've towed a UHaul trailer with a motorcycle in the back of the truck and the tailgate down and it worked just fine. You would definitely need to consider how much articulation you'll get with the tailgate down, both up/down and left/right. The trailer needs to have a long tongue for it to work. Also consider the weight of the motorcycle(s) and the tongue weight of the trailer when looking at the payload capacity.

Reactions: KVJ

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think my Patriot would clear since it has the extended tongue, but I’ve never tried as I haven’t had the need to.

OP
OP
PabstBleuRibbon

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I think my Patriot would clear since it has the extended tongue, but I’ve never tried as I haven’t had the need to.
If there’s any chance you could take some pics next time you have it hooked up, with the tailgate down, that would be amazing!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Even with the extended drawbar, I think a climb like this may be a challenge with the tailgate down :)

776FB105-72A2-47E3-AD42-F32891B7F18A.jpeg

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If there’s any chance you could take some pics next time you have it hooked up, with the tailgate down, that would be amazing!
Somehow I didn’t see this and had it hooked up for a brief period yesterday. I will do my best to remember next time.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
I towed a NoBo 10.6 this past weekend. Because of where the trailer jack was, I could not put down the tailgate.

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
Just like the title says, I'm wondering if this is workable, or a terrible idea? I've got an urge to go trailer shopping sometime in the next year, but my whole idea is to use the trailer as a basecamp setup for dirt bikes. To be able to take the dirtbikes, you need to have the tailgate down.

Is hauling bikes like that, and towing one of the adv type trailers (Offgrid, Patriot, Boreas, etc) a terrible idea? Any advice appreciated.
Another opition is to get a toy hauler camper. You put the bikes in the camper and two them. I did a quick Google for "off road toy hauler" and got a bunch or hots.
One was this https://www.shoppok.com/sanmarcos/a...180THT-Off-Road-Edition-Toy-Hauler--17995.htm

There more. Tweak the search "offroad toy hauler" and "adv toy hauler." See what you get.
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/new-rvs/2020-toy-haulers/

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Fully depends on the trailer. I know with my camper I can't do that the tailgate will hit something.

In your setup I would be more concerned about payload though. Two bikes in the bed isn't insignificant, then add on 10-15% weight from the camper and you might be in for some pain.

Like somebody mentioned a toy hauler might work better for you, especially since it would take the weight off of the JT.
Sponsored