Sponsored

Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery?

BarelyAwake

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Consultant
Running a Renogy DC50 system with a Weize 100ah lithium battery. A few notes based on the commentx:

- Ignition circuit is to the fuse box (F50) using a fuse jumper. (Pic attached)

- The DC50 will work with the smart alternator and does charge 50amps if you want it to - controlled via the Bluetooth module and software - I set mine to 20 amps max, using 50 amps only when the battery is very discharged or I need a quick charge. Even if the battery will accept a 50 amp maximum charge, that will degrade battery life is used regularly.

- Renogy prioritizes solar over vehicle charge. Not all DC/DC converters function in that manner. Victron does not (or did not when I was researching).

- Use marine circuit breakers to control solar panel (on the hood), vehicle charging and battery connection status. Allows isolation if there are any problems and complete disconnection when not actively using the battery. Lithium battery life is rated in charge cycles. Minimizing cycles is good.

- The DC50 and the battery both have temperature protection for the battery - under and over.

- Once the house battery (in the bed) is fully charged, the DC50 will route the power to the starter battery. Bright sunlight on the highway, my MPG increases by 2 - assuming it‘s the alternator load being taken off the motor. Solar may potentially charge a dead starter battery sufficiently in 30 min to start the vehicle.

Renogy and Weize is a budget solution. It has been stable and working for the last year, so while acknowledging higher quality solutions available - I’m happy. 72L Refrigerator, water pump, LED lights, rock lights, device charging, ice maker - we can run for 3 days with no additional charge. On sunny days the we get a net + charge from the solar alone.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? DB86C58B-5D0C-4EC6-998D-9978FCD23FE6
Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Where did you tap in for the ignition sensing wire?
As already mentioned, the #5 wire. Though I didn't hook that wire up for the 1st 8 months. Only reason I did was because I was already doing some other wiring and it didn't add much to my time to hook it up. My alternator really hasn't seemed to notice being hooked up or not. Yes, I have the Renogy battery monitor also.

Screenshot_20210906-141618_Google.jpg

20201018_160741.jpg

20201019_161418.jpg

20201018_160643.jpg

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
As already mentioned, the #5 wire. Though I didn't hook that wire up for the 1st 8 months. Only reason I did was because I was already doing some other wiring and it didn't add much to my time to hook it up. My alternator really hasn't seemed to notice being hooked up or not. Yes, I have the Renogy battery monitor also.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 20201018_160643

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 20201018_160643

What fridge are you using? I was looking at arb zeros but idk if theyre worth the prices.

bsteg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my JKUR and just got a JTR.
Occupation
Work
- The DC50 will work with the smart alternator and does charge 50amps if you want it to - controlled via the Bluetooth module and software - I set mine to 20 amps max, using 50 amps only when the battery is very discharged or I need a quick charge. Even if the battery will accept a 50 amp maximum charge, that will degrade battery life is used regularly.
Any screen shots of the DCC50s settings in the app?

Crazy so many mixed reviews and varied opinions on this unit. I bought mine based on Will Prowse recommendation and 50a capability but second guessing the install based on 15A limitations and now I have to add a BT2.....

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 1630953659882

BarelyAwake

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Consultant
Any screen shots of the DCC50s settings in the app?

Crazy so many mixed reviews and varied opinions on this unit. I bought mine based on Will Prowse recommendation and 50a capability but second guessing the install based on 15A limitations and now I have to add a BT2.....

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 1630953659882
EFEF821F-8A39-4ABB-B1EC-8EC872BCBA4A.jpeg

BF031FDB-1A74-4BE6-8D26-4071E65C16CD.jpeg

54F0E3E2-F549-4030-9668-0E3E8BE2D329.jpeg

Sponsored

bsteg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my JKUR and just got a JTR.
Occupation
Work
Thats cool you can set the combined output. I bet the bad reviews are from people who dont know you can BT in and change the output.

Can you set the cut-in and cut-out voltage for the VSR like you can with a Victron?

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 54F0E3E2-F549-4030-9668-0E3E8BE2D329

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? 54F0E3E2-F549-4030-9668-0E3E8BE2D329

I just got all the renogy parts in the mail. I went to download the renogy dc home app but saw that it has horrible reviews? Are you guys having issues with the app and bluetooth connection?

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got all the renogy parts in the mail. I went to download the renogy dc home app but saw that it has horrible reviews? Are you guys having issues with the app and bluetooth connection?
The Bluetooth resets itself to unpaired constantly. I stopped using it

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have just completed my Glad overland build in my Rubicon.

I have a Redarc 1240 BCDC charging a 100 AH BattleBorn battery and so far I’m really liking the performance.

The real test will be starting a week from today when we leave for a 3 week trip to the high mountains of Colorado (doing the Alpine Loop amongst others) then to Moab via the Rim Rocker Trail and finally the White Rim Trail.

Cant wait!

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? E8D7E094-B58B-41E0-9831-62CE0CDC272F

Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you need the bluetooth to set the settings? Or can it be done manually?
I did my settings through the DC to DC. But they are basic. The BT allows more advanced settings but the preset lithium setting has been fine for me

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator
Running a Renogy DC50 system with a Weize 100ah lithium battery. A few notes based on the commentx:

- Ignition circuit is to the fuse box (F50) using a fuse jumper. (Pic attached).

Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? E8D7E094-B58B-41E0-9831-62CE0CDC272F
Just to be clear. This is your red wire that goes to the Renogy alternator ignition spot for smart alternators correct?

this is the last thing I have left on my battery system…. Plus some neatening up lol 👌🏻
Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? image

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear. This is your red wire that goes to the Renogy alternator ignition spot for smart alternators correct?

this is the last thing I have left on my battery system…. Plus some neatening up lol 👌🏻
Jeep Gladiator Anyone using a Dc to Dc charger for a second battery? image
Wow, you need to def clean that up.... i know your wires are fused but those connections are way too close. You need to provide some ventilation too? Im in the process of installing the dc charger, invertor, monitor also but trying to figure out my setup. Seems like youre trying to conserve as much bed space as possible but you need to seperate some of those components.

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator
Wow, you need to def clean that up.... i know your wires are fused but those connections are way too close. You need to provide some ventilation too? Im in the process of installing the dc charger, invertor, monitor also but trying to figure out my setup. Seems like youre trying to conserve as much bed space as possible but you need to seperate some of those components.
Ventilation fan will be installed into the box and yes neatening up is needed as I said lol spacing between the components is fine as long as everything is secured and kept cool

only a battery, an inverter and DC to DC charger in the box which is made to be removable when the jeep is being used as a daily

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ventilation fan will be installed into the box and yes neatening up is needed as I said lol spacing between the components is fine as long as everything is secured and kept cool

only a battery, an inverter and DC to DC charger in the box which is made to be removable when the jeep is being used as a daily
The manual specifically states that the dc charger and battery not be put in the same compartment because it could be a fire hazard but if you dont care, to each their own.
Sponsored