Sponsored

Apex autoLYNX Sway bar disconnect

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow I looked at those things this past fall. I think they've gone up $100 since then.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd rather spend a little more for an Antirock.
Antirock is just a soft sway bar. Nothing more. Complete with unanticipated oversteer in an accident avoidance situation on the street.

bemarsh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Gladiator Mojave
They had said 1-2 months for restock. Was hoping to get a set, anything else to consider?

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
If you guys make it to the shows in the West, EJS etc. They usually have plenty and sell at a discounted show price. I made the mistake of passing last year and I've been wanting them ever since.

cooperjet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave 06 Mini Cooper S
I was waiting for them to come back in stock also but I’m not so sure at $450 now.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I wheeled with them on for a week in Moab this month. In my opinion they are still worth it. They are somewhere in between a soft sway bar and full disconnect on the trail, they stopped me just short of fully stuffing the tire. On the street, basically back to stock with a half turn each side. $450 isn’t trivial, but considering all the other more expensive things we buy, it’s worth not hassling with manual disconnects.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Antirock is just a soft sway bar. Nothing more. Complete with unanticipated oversteer in an accident avoidance situation on the street.
Depends on other mods. All by itself, no other changes at all from stock, yeah, softer front bar reduces understeer but coupled with other changes - it depends on the other changes to the truck.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on other mods. All by itself, no other changes at all from stock, yeah, softer front bar reduces understeer but coupled with other changes - it depends on the other changes to the truck.
I spent 10 years driving cars on road courses or autocross courses. The only thing that would mitigate dangerous oversteer caused by very little roll stiffness in the front is

1) super skiny tires on the front.
2) A corresponding reduction in roll stiffness on the rear suspension.

The stability control will try to control the oversteer, but its not designed to compensate for such a huge disparity in roll stiffness.

AntiRock makes no sense when for less money, you can very easily completely disconnect the factory roll bar.

A disconnecting the roll bar.
1) provides better handling on the road.
2) more compliance off road.

And if people say "My truck handles fine with it". They don't understand the problem. You won't know its a problem until you have to push your truck to the edge of its on-road performance envelope. And since most of us don't buy Jeeps to drive that way on purpose, we are talking about accident avoidance.

So when that car turns in front of you and you run the wheel hard, you will experience the back end coming around on your. This has the ability to turn a frontal collision into a side impact. Where you have inches of crumple zone rather than feet of crumple zone.

Just a dumb idea for anything that is driven on the street.

1647868594035.jpeg

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
So you trailer your jeep to the trailhead?
Back when I actually wheeled, sometimes we would trailer, sometimes not.

If I was wheeling where I needed discos, I would also consider an Antirock knowing it will not be as good on road but it will be better off road.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back when I actually wheeled, sometimes we would trailer, sometimes not.

If I was wheeling where I needed discos, I would also consider an Antirock knowing it will not be as good on road but it will be better off road.
Its not just not as good. Its dangerous. Google suspension mods for a drift car. All of the recommended mods will involve either installing a softer front roll bar or removing it altogether.

Do you want your Jeep to handle like a drift car when you are trying to avoid a tree in the road??

Last edited:

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
A disconnecting the roll bar.
1) provides better handling on the road.
2) more compliance off road.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying it drives better on road without a sway bar?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying it drives better on road without a sway bar?
No. I'm saying its dangerous. Because the truck will oversteer dangerously if pushed to its traction limit.

Driving with a really soft, compliant front roll bar is also dangerous because it will also lead to excessive oversteer. Though it will be less than with no front roll bar.

For street use, you should have a standard stiffness front roll bar in place.

Which is why I'm saying that a disconnect is both cheaper and better than anti-rock.

It gives you factory roll stiffness and handling on-road when its connected.
It gives you more compliance than an anti-rock when disconnected.

While I don't like the fact that the Autolynx is now ridiculously expensive, its simply a better solution than a soft noodle front sway bar because it allows the use of the factory front roll bar on-road.
Sponsored