Sponsored

ARE CX HD

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So the CXHD's weight limit is ~550#. Does that mean:

(1) 550 when moving (like the max weight is a 550# RTT strapped to the roof rails while driving on the freeway)?

(2) 550# TOTAL—no matter what (like the RTT + me, wife, and 2 kids need to all weigh less than 550# when sleeping in it)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
That should be a dynamic rating. You should know though that it only applies when using their very specific rack that mounts to very specific points on their very specific and kludgy frame... It's not like you can opt for Yakima tracks and have that world of options available. I was all over it until I learned that detail...

Meanwhile, and this doesn't help us yet, SnugTop's commercial line (called "SnugPro" and kept very separate and difficult to find for inexplicable and ill advised reasons) has a 500# dynamic roof rack rating using regular Yakima tracks AND without the intrusive and hacky frame. It looks just like their regular line externally (complete with all the fun features like central locking, etc.), but has steel framing laid into the fiberglass. I assume the shell is somewhat thicker, but you'd be hard pressed to notice it. The downside is the tool boxes (which no one but me seems interested in) are only rated for 100# dynamic each (vs. 200# on the ARE). I had one on my Bison, and it was BADASS. Unfortunately, nothing available yet for the Gladiator.

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So the CXHD's weight limit is ~550#. Does that mean:

(1) 550 when moving (like the max weight is a 550# RTT strapped to the roof rails while driving on the freeway)?

(2) 550# TOTAL—no matter what (like the RTT + me, wife, and 2 kids need to all weigh less than<550# when sleeping in it)?
I called them up and they refuse to give me a stright answer other than the maximum weight limit is #550 in any situation. So static weight limit is #550, I am sure you could go on the highway with maybe #350 but you will be pushing it if you go with more than #200 on a bumpy trail (this is my opinion based on comparable systems). There is a reason why they omit and refuse to clarify the specs on their system.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
I called them up and they refuse to give me a stright answer other than the maximum weight limit is #550 in any situation. So static weight limit is #550, I am sure you could go on the highway with maybe #350 but you will be pushing it if you go with more than #200 on a bumpy trail (this is my opinion based on comparable systems). There is a reason why they omit and refuse to clarify the specs on their system.
I just had mine installed and when asking ARE directly I was told that is a “moving” or dynamic rating. The internal rail system and upper rails are far thicker than the ones from Yakima or Thule and the internal frame is beefier than my JCR half rack which has a 500lb dynamic rating.

Ark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle :)
Well my ARE topper finally arrived! Check out the pics and let me know what you think. All in all I'm happy with it, and disappointed in the small details for a item that is this expensive.
20201121_110202.jpg
20201121_110230.jpg
20201121_110258.jpg
20201121_110242.jpg
20201121_110311.jpg

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I had a couple questions for those of you who have ARE CX HD caps.

I currently have a CX on the back of a 1st gen doublecab Tacoma. One of the big things I use it for almost daily is hauling bikes around. It keeps them somewhat securely locked up and keeps the road salt off. I'm planning to upgrade to a Gladiator with a CX in the next year or two. I'd love to go HD.

What is the dimension to the bottom of the support bars (red arrow) and what's the width of the topper (blue arrow)?

ARE CX With Bikes.jpg

ARE CX HD Topper.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 15 FLHTKL
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I had a couple questions for those of you who have ARE CX HD caps.

I currently have a CX on the back of a 1st gen doublecab Tacoma. One of the big things I use it for almost daily is hauling bikes around. It keeps them somewhat securely locked up and keeps the road salt off. I'm planning to upgrade to a Gladiator with a CX in the next year or two. I'd love to go HD.

What is the dimension to the bottom of the support bars (red arrow) and what's the width of the topper (blue arrow)?

Jeep Gladiator ARE CX HD ARE CX HD Topper

Jeep Gladiator ARE CX HD ARE CX HD Topper
I've got mine put away for the summer so there is no good way to get the measurements for you. If you search bed width and subtract 2" you would be close to your Blue line. I can say with decent confidence that the Red line would be about 18" above the bed line. The HD bars do take up a lot of space!!

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership

ARE CX With Bikes.jpg

ARE CX HD Topper.jpg
2C4797A9-3C8F-4452-9375-ECD1F2D55FB5.jpeg

73B20FE5-D12D-4FD0-AB1F-0320FAA2CD84.jpeg

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Sorry the last photo wasn’t great but the width is 56.5”

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
Does any one know the weight of the hd model?
I'm wondering if it is lighter than my Smart cap that weighs in at 198 lbs.
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 15 FLHTKL
Does any one know the weight of the hd model?
I'm wondering if it is lighter than my Smart cap that weighs in at 198 lbs.
Thanks
I've never found the weight so I can't say for sure. What I can tell you, I take mine off every spring and put it back on in the fall. The wife and I can lift it off and carry it into the shed no problem.

popsnbeer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Mojave, '15 Honda Pioneer 500
has anybody done the OTR? Seems like the matte black doesn't really match the black plastics on the JT roof. It's close and doesn't look bad... but wondering if w/ the OTR it will complement the colors better, vs trying to match exactly.

Also, any idea how much extra weight the OTR adds?

OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 15 FLHTKL
has anybody done the OTR? Seems like the matte black doesn't really match the black plastics on the JT roof. It's close and doesn't look bad... but wondering if w/ the OTR it will complement the colors better, vs trying to match exactly.

Also, any idea how much extra weight the OTR adds?
Popsnbeer, As you can see from the previous messages I did not do the OTR. When I ordered mine between the vendor and the little bit of knowledge that was out on the web, I went with the color code I have shared.. About six months ago or so I ran into a guy a 1000 miles from home that did the OTR and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't do it. It just didn't look right, the texture was way off.

ckgjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max ToE
I have the OTR...it is more textured then the Jeep Roof but that's ok as it is real tuff..I am happy with it..here is a couple shots of it...weight wise probably 20 lbs+- more than a painted cap
Jeep Gladiator ARE CX HD IMG_1334
Jeep Gladiator ARE CX HD IMG_1345
Sponsored