Sponsored

Assistance/Advice Needed for JScan - Changing tire size.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The one your picturing is the 'Vgate iCar pro LE' The one he bought was the 'Vgate iCar pro BLE'

The 'BLE' is the same one I have that works just fine. Similar but different models names on the adapters.

This is the one I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4873
It may work fine for what you did - but it isn't as all-inclusive as far as working as the higher end adapter. Even jscan spells that out. there are things I could NOT get to - as explained in some docs I found, due to speed issues.
JSCAN app even popped up and said I needed the OBDLink adapter to go where I was going.

One page on Amazon says it's not for higher speeds compared to others. (there was a chart comparing)
BLE only means Bluetooth low energy.

I have personally run into that road block so I know it's ok for many, maybe even most things, but not all.

If a person wants to be SURE, you need OBDLink MX+ - jscan even says so.
If all you want is simple stuff and tire size changes, the iCar pro BLE will work.
If you want to be certain, according to jscan and my experience, then the OBDLink MX+ is the only one guaranteed to get to all things.
I own both and found out the limits on the BLE myself.
Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have personally run into that road block so I know it's ok for many, maybe even most things, but not all.
I think this is the main takeaway. For simple setting changes the 'budget' ones are fine and 1/4 the price. If you want more advanced features such as live data you would be better served by the 'premium' adapter.

I'd be interested as to what things you found you couldn't do to get a better idea of the limits.

Overall, I think it's akin to the JSCAN vs Tazer debate. If all you need to do is change some basic settings (Tire size, gear change, led lights, etc) JSCAN is fine. Tazer can do a lot more but also comes with that premium price.

I opted to get the entire JSCAN package (adapter, security cable, license) for less than the 'premium' adapter alone. I'd rather spend the lesser amount and then spend a little more if I find I have to have those other things versus spending more up front just to never use them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is the main takeaway. For simple setting changes the 'budget' ones are fine and 1/4 the price. If you want more advanced features such as live data you would be better served by the 'premium' adapter.

I'd be interested as to what things you found you couldn't do to get a better idea of the limits.

Overall, I think it's akin to the JSCAN vs Tazer debate. If all you need to do is change some basic settings (Tire size, gear change, led lights, etc) JSCAN is fine. Tazer can do a lot more but also comes with that premium price.

I opted to get the entire JSCAN package (adapter, security cable, license) for less than the 'premium' adapter alone. I'd rather spend the lesser amount and then spend a little more if I find I have to have those other things versus spending more up front just to never use them.
IMO, the jscan vs taser is a different animal. Taser is HARDWARE left in place and works live in the system. Yes, it can make settings changes, but it's left in place, it's live and you can't remove it and expect some of those things to still work. It must be left in place.
Some will prefer it because of specific things it does because it's a computer left in place, inline with the other vehicle modules working live as you run the truck.
Some will prefer "change the settings and walk away". (and the cheaper options, besides jscan and AlfaOBD being PORTABLE and working with your entire fleet of Jeep and Ram products.
That's what I like - we have 2 jeeps and I can take my phone or tablet to either vehicles and do what I want and not think about anything left in the vehicle, dealer visits or whatever.

IMO, the only real advantage of taser is the live functions - because it's a computer you put in and leave in place and it does things on the go.
Otherwise - I see no advantage as settings it can change, software can change.
If I don't want fancy light shows, if I don't care about ESS (and I do not need taser to deal with that! There's a much cheaper option I could install and leave in place), or don't care if the license plate lights are on in reverse, if I don't need or want those things, there's no reason for me to have it.
Reading diagnostics, gathering freeze frames, exporting logs - I can do that on both of our Jeeps.

I think honestly having it is just "a thing" for some folks if you don't need the live functions.
Some have it just for ESS - I can do that for a couple bucks worth of electronics, a timer.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Also, for anyone setting the PSI "alert" settings when you change tires, the JSCAN Adaptations called "MAX Load PSI Front" and "MAX Load PSI Rear" are confusing when you read the names.

This setting is the PSI at which the "low pressure" warning light comes ON in the Jeep instrument cluster.

Not sure what "Max Load" means in the name. There is also a "MIN Load" setting, which is 0 by default and JSCAN recommends you keep it there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also, for anyone setting the PSI "alert" settings when you change tires, the JSCAN Adaptations called "MAX Load PSI Front" and "MAX Load PSI Rear" are confusing when you read the names.

This setting is the PSI at which the "low pressure" warning light comes ON in the Jeep instrument cluster.

Not sure what "Max Load" means in the name. There is also a "MIN Load" setting, which is 0 by default and JSCAN recommends you keep it there.
Normally, in tire jargon, "max load psi" is the number on the sidewall, maximum tire pressure at maximum tire load. So if the tire is rated for xx,xxx pounds maximum, that's the psi you'd use. Normally that's up in the 40-5x range.
The kicker is that if you put enough weight in your truck to hit the maximum tire load rating, you'll break things. My tires are rated for something like 2700 pounds, times 4 is 10,800 pounds. That means 5,000 pounds in my truck plus the 5,000 pounds the truck weighs to hit maximum tire load. (I believe I have that right)

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Normally, in tire jargon, "max load psi" is the number on the sidewall, maximum tire pressure at maximum tire load.
Right, that's what I thought it was in the PCM setting, too. But when the installer put 37 PSI (door placard inflation) in them and started the JT, the cluster said all 4 tires were low, and said "inflate to 50 psi" (which is what I put in JSCAN since that was the sidewall max pressure). Backed it down to 30 PSI just to test it out... smooth sailing so far

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right, that's what I thought it was in the PCM setting, too. But when the installer put 37 PSI (door placard inflation) in them and started the JT, the cluster said all 4 tires were low, and said "inflate to 50 psi" (which is what I put in JSCAN since that was the sidewall max pressure). Backed it down to 30 PSI just to test it out... smooth sailing so far
So it seems your theory on that is really for "maximum psi while on this vehicle normal load"...........

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So it seems your theory on that is really for "maximum psi while on this vehicle normal load"...........
My brain is not working right now, so maybe this will sound dumb, but I think the setting is the "minimum" PSI the computer wants to see the tires inflated to.

So, when I get on the trail and air down to 15 psi, I'll get the "inflate tires to 30 psi" message since I set mine to 30... until I air back up to, let's say, 37 psi then the message goes away.

Did I explain that right?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
... maybe the confusion was when I said "backed it down to 30 psi"... I meant the setting in the PCM, not the tire inflation. Those are at 41 for the moment.

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
Yes. You are correct. Thats is the minimum pressure the computer will want to clear the inflate tires message. I changed mine from 37 psi to 35 psi and that is now what the message says.

I had mine at 14 psi this weekend and it stated to inflate to 35 psi.

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes. You are correct. Thats is the minimum pressure the computer will want to clear the inflate tires message. I changed mine from 37 psi to 35 psi and that is now what the message says.

Thanks for clarifying!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer

I want my tires at 33 psi but unless I am looking at the wrong selection, Jscan only gives it in 5psi increments. Is there a way to make it 33?

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I want my tires at 33 psi but unless I am looking at the wrong selection, Jscan only gives it in 5psi increments. Is there a way to make it 33?
Only 5 psi increments but if you set it to 35 or 30 and have your pressure at 33 it won’t set off the tire warning

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, I noticed the 5 psi increment also with Jscan. I do not think there is a current workaround for that.
Sponsored