Attempted Bed Break In - Gladiator Tailgate Damaged

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
sorry this happened to you! Let us know what you do. i'm curious about the cost.
Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Long-story-short...
The tailgate was down (from me unloading something from the bed the night before) while hooked up to the trailer, I started driving (without going into reverse first, which would have alerted me to the tailgate being down)... the tailgate hit the trailer jack while going over bumps in the road. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Looks almost identical.
Jeep Gladiator Attempted Bed Break In - Gladiator Tailgate Damaged 881CC3A2-876D-4004-B86D-5B32FD4C9BFB

OP
OP
jtnp

jtnp

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Wannabe Four Wheeler
Long-story-short...
The tailgate was down (from me unloading something from the bed the night before) while hooked up to the trailer, I started driving (without going into reverse first, which would have alerted me to the tailgate being down)... the tailgate hit the trailer jack while going over bumps in the road. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Looks almost identical.
Looks almost identical cause this is exactly what happened. I totally forgot I was towing with the tailgate down for a few mins. Sorry y'all.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Crowd sourcing Glad style. :like: Now if we could just solve the steering dilemmas

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Since the tailgate is aluminum I'd be interested to see if they can actually fix that. I backed into a mailbox pole on mine and had to replace the whole tailgate.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
It requires very specific tooling to form aluminium. Easier to buy a new one and recycle the old with the cans. My 74 Norton connecting rods, head, engine and tranny cases are made from recycled Dural from WW2 aircraft. Waste not, want not.

OP
OP
jtnp

jtnp

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Wannabe Four Wheeler
I got a quote to repair it for $550. Otherwise new tailgate shell + top plastic spoiler will cost around a little over $400 just for the parts (requires paint + I'd have to get the inside Linex'd). I'm guessing over $1k if I went with the second option. Here in So Cal labor isn't cheap.

Surprised that no one other than Wilco Offroad makes an aftermarket version. Wilco's unfortunately doesn't support factory backup cam at this time.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: I am an idiot and apologize for slandering all the innocent car burglars out there. Thanks to TYJ for helping me figure out the damage was caused by my trailer jack and not a would be thief. :facepalm:

First timer here. Hoping that I can help fellow JT owners avoid what happened to me. Noticed this morning that some punk tried to pry open my Rugged Ridge Armis tonneau cover, but all they succeeded in doing is some big time damage to my tailgate. The tailgate looks like a split soda can. I'm sure if they kept at it they would have gotten in the bed, but I'm guessing something scared them off. I live in a really good neighborhood, but got careless and should have parked my JT inside the garage. Whatever happened to good old solid steel tailgates? Hope this never happens to any of you guys or gals.

Does anyone make an aftermarket tailgate besides Wilco Off Road? Otherwise do you think it's possible to repair the tailgate?

Thanks in advance,

JTNP

Jeep Gladiator Attempted Bed Break In - Gladiator Tailgate Damaged 881CC3A2-876D-4004-B86D-5B32FD4C9BFB

Yeah thats def a a strike while the gate was down.

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Had a trailer go into my tailgate, and it was 2200 with the knew tailgate, paint and linex.